Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-19-2022, 08:18 AM   #1
Thomas Roulston

Should the 20-horse Gate Become Standard?

https://www.kentuckyderby.com/horses...kentucky-derby

Since it's only 65 feet wide, it will fit inside most racetracks.

Of course there would need to be common-sense restrictions governing its use; in specifis, it could be used only in races with a very long run to the first turn, such as 1-mile races (and obviously, 1 1/4-mile races) at Churchill Downs, also 1-mile races at Aqueduct, and 1 1/8-mile races on the dirt at Belmont - and speaking of Belmont, they need to create an auxiliary finish line one furlong past the permanent finish line, so that 1 1/4-mile races on the dirt can be run out of the chute instead of the turn, thus eliminating the huge advantage the 1 1/4-mile start on the turn gives to the horses drawing the inside posts (for the same reason, the 1 1/16-mile start on the Inner Turf Course also needs to become a thing of the past).

The last time that Woodbine hosted the Breeders' Cup, management requested permission to run 20-horse fields in some of the turf races. The request fell on deaf ears.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2022, 08:23 AM   #2
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
https://www.kentuckyderby.com/horses...kentucky-derby

Since it's only 65 feet wide, it will fit inside most racetracks.

Of course there would need to be common-sense restrictions governing its use; in specifis, it could be used only in races with a very long run to the first turn, such as 1-mile races (and obviously, 1 1/4-mile races) at Churchill Downs, also 1-mile races at Aqueduct, and 1 1/8-mile races on the dirt at Belmont - and speaking of Belmont, they need to create an auxiliary finish line one furlong past the permanent finish line, so that 1 1/4-mile races on the dirt can be run out of the chute instead of the turn, thus eliminating the huge advantage the 1 1/4-mile start on the turn gives to the horses drawing the inside posts (for the same reason, the 1 1/16-mile start on the Inner Turf Course also needs to become a thing of the past).

The last time that Woodbine hosted the Breeders' Cup, management requested permission to run 20-horse fields in some of the turf races. The request fell on deaf ears.
Given that Rick's Natural Star ran at Woodbine, that BC demonstrated the wisdom of the 14 horse gate.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2022, 10:18 AM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Some tracks could run 4 races at the same time!
Old 02-19-2022, 10:43 AM   #4
Thomas Roulston

Once a year Canterbury Park does run two races concomitantly - one on dirt and one on turf, at 1 1/16 miles.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:04 AM   #5
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Some tracks could run 4 races at the same time!
Don't give them any ideas. I'll never forget the time I was headed to Disney in Orlando with the wife and kids, we were driving down from NY that time and about halfway there at a rest area I decided to check to see if everything was ok with the database processing. I check on things several times per day just in case. Anyway it was sitting there errored out because some track ran two races at the same time, one on the dirt course and one on the turf course, some kind of synchronized twin trifecta thing they tried as a gimmick. That duplicate 'off' time at the same venue caused a problem with some of the code that I had back in those days so I was forced to make code changes remotely using the laptop on the road. Let me just say making code changes on the road while customers are waiting for files to be generated is a nightmare scenario ... Disney with kids is anything but relaxing anyway, you do it to be a good dad is what it amounts to we have the pics of the kids with Mickey, check that checkbox, anyway that vacation probably aged me a bit, thankfully in over 20 years that type of error has only happened once.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:30 PM   #6
Thomas Roulston

Imagine, for example, the Cigar Mile at Aqueduct with a 20-horse field.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:34 PM   #7
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
Imagine, for example, the Cigar Mile at Aqueduct with a 20-horse field.
Or Santa Anita could take all of their fields and combine them, maybe fill the gate for a one-race card with a couple AEs.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2022, 10:50 AM   #8
wisconsin

The old version of the Arlington-Washington Futurity sometimes had as many as 17 starters when it was 1 mile. The chute provided ample distance for position. Back then, and for a long time it was the richest tb race in America.