Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #31
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlonr
Is subtracting the on-track handle from the commingled handle not what you are looking for?
Uncommingled handle is different. It's not a big deal.

Del Mar was one of my favorite tracks before Polytrack. I practically lived at the Track for many years.

Last edited by andymays; 07-13-2010 at 02:41 PM.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #32
carlonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
I was talking about uncommingled handle.

My point is that when you throw out attendance figures most people assume that these people are there for the early races. Many come late and quite a few come after the races.

Theres no reason to come after the races except on concert days. Del Mar has a later post than most tracks, which allows the people that are getting off work @ 4pm (and maybe even leaving work a little early) to still make a significant number of races.

Last edited by carlonr; 07-13-2010 at 02:41 PM.
carlonr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #33
carlonr

Quote:
Uncommingled handle is different. It's not a big deal.

Del Mar was one of my favorite tracks before Polytrack. I practically lived at the Track for many years.
The atmosphere is still great. No track in America even comes close in terms of atmosphere. There is no roar in horse racing in the WORLD louder than the roar of the crowd BEFORE the first race on opening day at Del Mar.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #34
miesque

Well the one thing that Del Mar has going for it is that hands down it has the best looking ontrack customers. I have visited a lot of tracks and nobody else is close in terms of how good and fit the average attendee looks. It also has the most peroxide, I mean blondes, that you will ever see at a track. If you are a guy and you like blondes, that is the track for you because if you are a brunette there you almost feel exotic.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #35
Igeteven

Quote:
The atmosphere is still great. No track in America even comes close in terms of atmosphere. There is no roar in horse racing in the WORLD louder than the roar of the crowd BEFORE the first race on opening day at Del Mar.
I agree, how about the last 7 months and the track surface, things have change since last year.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #36
carlonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igeteven
I agree, how about the last 7 months and the track surface, things have change since last year.
They say they are going to try to keep the temperature more consistant which should help.. I will be in a meeting with the new Track Superintendant about a week after the track opens and I will gladly pass along any insights.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #37
Hedevar

This thread may have just taken the lead in the humorous battle of outrageous claims with the Monmouth people. Nice work as you've just entered the race.
Hedevar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #38
Igeteven

Quote:
They say they are going to try to keep the temperature more consistant which should help.. I will be in a meeting with the new Track Superintendant about a week after the track opens and I will gladly pass along any insights.
please keep us posted on his plans,

Thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #39
GaryG
Unreconstructed

The current Mth experiment is almost surely a one-shot deal. It means nothing in the scheme of east vs west or whatever. Seems to me SoCal handles have held up pretty well considering the poly and 4-5 horse fields.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #40
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igeteven
please keep us posted on his plans,

Thanks
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2.../well-groomed/

Excerpt:

Tedesco said morning workouts in the past were run on a fast, tight and firm synthetic that was 62 to 65 degrees on the surface. Meantime, afternoon races went off on a surface that heated up to over 140 degrees. The track became too loose as the Polytrack’s wax base softened.

“We need to loosen it up in the morning, so we’re going to be out here at 2 to 3 a.m. and harrow it at 3 inches instead of 2 1/2 inches, take it deeper because it was so tight,” he said. “In the afternoon, we’re going to add water to cool it. But we’ll have to watch it closely and make sure the surface is as close to how it was at 7 a.m. We want it around 90 degrees. It’s very heat-sensitive, and that’s why I’ve seen three different racetracks during a day since I started coming down here (when hired in January). The goal is to make the track more consistent.”
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #41
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:

It’s very heat-sensitive, and that’s why I’ve seen three different racetracks during a day since I started coming down here (when hired in January). The goal is to make the track more consistent.”
Maybe CHRB will mandate synthetic tracks and they must either bulild a structure for temperature controlled indoor racing or use underground air-conditioning/cooling units to make track consistent.
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #42
fmolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesque
Well the one thing that Del Mar has going for it is that hands down it has the best looking ontrack customers. I have visited a lot of tracks and nobody else is close in terms of how good and fit the average attendee looks. It also has the most peroxide, I mean blondes, that you will ever see at a track. If you are a guy and you like blondes, that is the track for you because if you are a brunette there you almost feel exotic.
I'll take the more natural beauty of the east coast belles of saratoga anyday of the week.They greatly enhance the already best race meet in the country by far!.....
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #43
fmolf

Are cal. residents allowed to have adw wagering accts and if so which ones?Are their any restrictions put on state residents?In regards to where and on what tracks they can wager on?
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #44
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmolf
I'll take the more natural beauty of the east coast belles of saratoga anyday of the week.They greatly enhance the already best race meet in the country by far!.....
I prefer the belles of Hot Springs...
Old 07-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #45
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:

Agreed.

Before Poly I could not wait for the DMR meet to start, It was a great place to make a score on the other shore. Saratoga in the morning, and Del Mar in the afternoon, what more could you ask for as a horse player?

Great racing, great trainers, and great jockeys and now look what they have done with that Poly.

Sad. This was not a good change for racing.

________
David-LV

Last edited by David-LV; 07-13-2010 at 08:27 PM.
David-LV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply