Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #31
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwupl
It is a real bet, the problem is that it is of such low volume that the bet takers do not want to fool with it...there has to be a way for the bet takers to accept it, to be prepared to process the bet .

The rule is live and in place...

CHRB, Display of Rule No. 1954.1 , "Parlay Wagering on Win, Place or Show."

Rule No. Rule Title
1954.1 Parlay Wagering on Win, Place or Show.
Rule Text (a) The parlay is not a separate mutuel pool, it is a series of wagers (consisting of legs) combining wagering entries in Win, Place or Show pools. The initial amount wagered constitutes the wager on the first leg, and if successful, the payout from the first leg constitutes the wager on the second leg, etc. (b) A parlay wager is limited to Win, Place or Show which have a corresponding pool conducted on the race selected. The wager must combine at least two races but not more than six races. The races in a parlay must be in chronological order but do not need to be consecutive races or combine the same type pool. (c) A parlay wager may only be on one pool and one wagering interest per leg and cannot combine wagers on races on other days. (d) Payouts included as wagers in subsequent races and the final payout to the parlay wagerer shall be broken to the nearest dime. Parlay breakage shall be reported separately and added to regular breakage at the end of the day for the purpose of taxation and distribution. (e) Parlay payouts will be included as wagers in subsequent pools by the track operator so the amount of such wagers, including their impact on the wagering odds, will be displayed. Wager totals in such pools shall be displayed in truncated fashion, to the lowest dollar. (f) Parlay wagers may be cancelled by the ticket holder, in accordance with track policy, only before the start of the first parlay leg in which a parlay selection starts. Parlay wagers not cancelled must be completed or terminated by operation of these rules in order to be entitled to a payout. (g) If a race, pool or wagering entry in a parlay is scratched, which includes an entry being declared a non-starter for wagering purposes, or a race or pool is cancelled, the parlay shall consist of the remaining legs. The parlay terminates if there are no remaining legs. (h) A wager on a coupled entry or field is considered a wager on the remaining part of the coupled entry or field if any part of the coupled entry or field starts for parimutuel purposes in accordance with Rule 1974 of this Article. NOTE: Authority cited: Section 19590, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 19594, 19597 and 19598, Business and Professions Code. HISTORY: 1. New rule filed 2-8-95; effective 2-8-95. 2. Amendment filed 12-23-96; effective 1-22-97.

The bet was never promoted. Quite a few people like myself would go to satellite or live racing to put in a parlay because you can't bet one on line. I understand that it was a low volume wager but it attracted some people to the track that made other bets as well.

If I were a track I would have a contest everyday where you give away prize money for whoever cashes the biggest 6 horse parlay for the day. I could be any combination of w-p-s over six races. You would have to go to a particular window to record the winning wager and enter the contest. You could make the contest anywhere from a $2 bet on up. Then you advertise the winning ROI in your promotions along with the $500 or $1000 in prize money.

Parlays are fun to play and they were never promoted correctly.

Last edited by andymays; 07-10-2010 at 11:06 AM.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #32
Horseplayersbet.com

Good way to get extra breakage by the track. They get to break down to the dollar throughout the parlay.

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #33
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplayersbet.com
Good way to get extra breakage by the track. They get to break down to the dollar throughout the parlay.

Do you want to eliminate w-p-s wagering? That's what you're telling me when you knock parlays.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #34
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
Do you want to eliminate w-p-s wagering? That's what you're telling me when you knock parlays.
How do you get that? If a horse in the first leg pays $6.90, the track gets 90 cents that you could have got by doing the parlay yourself.
That is my only point here.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #35
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
How do you get that? If a horse in the first leg pays $6.90, the track gets 90 cents that you could have got by doing the parlay yourself.
That is my only point here.

Are you sure that's the case? I read it that the 90 cents is parlayed. If I'm wrong then you have a great point.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #36
Igeteven

Quote:
Who cares what the customer bets , I am not promoting going to the window to bet 10 cents, however, on line or at the automatic betting window with a card filled out already, why not.

The software is in place and ready to go
Old 07-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #37
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igeteven
Who cares what the customer bets , I am not promoting going to the window to bet 10 cents, however, on line or at the automatic betting window with a card filled out already, why not.

The software is in place and ready to go

They really just don't want to pay to print the parlay cards. That's the real reason for discontinuing them.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #38
Igeteven

Quote:
They really just don't want to pay to print the parlay cards. That's the real reason for discontinuing them.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #39
miesque

And to think all this time I thought that there was only one type of pari-mutuel wager that I had never made, the Quinella. I guess I can now add the Parlay to that list.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #40
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
Are you sure that's the case? I read it that the 90 cents is parlayed. If I'm wrong then you have a great point.
The money gets bet in the parimutuel pool. You can't be 10 cents or 90 cents to win on a horse. If you read what was posted, the track gets to keep the breakage by the looks of it, and the change is called breakage as well by the looks of it.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #41
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
The money gets bet in the parimutuel pool. You can't be 10 cents or 90 cents to win on a horse. If you read what was posted, the track gets to keep the breakage by the looks of it, and the change is called breakage as well by the looks of it.

And when you parlay it yourself what happens? You either round the bet up or down to the nearest dollar. I guess if you make a 6 horse parlay and leave it's worth the convenience.

There is no reason for a track not to offer the bet other than the cost of printing the parlay cards.