Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-02-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
Bala

more on wicked humans and Global Warming

All 928 scientific articles reviewed supported the view that human-induced global warming is occuring. And by "all," they mean "13"

EARTH IN THE BALANCE

Don't Believe the Hype
Al Gore is wrong. There's no "consensus" on global warming.

BY RICHARD S. LINDZEN
Sunday, July 2, 2006 12:01 a.m. EDT

Mr. Lindzen is the Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Science at MIT.
<<<http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008597>>>
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
schweitz

I'm shocked I tell ya---shocked!
schweitz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
lsbets

I'm sure Sec will say that professor is in some way connected to Exxon.
lsbets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Dick Schmidt
Surly Member

I think most scientists will agree that there is some degree of global warming going on. What many don't agree with is that it is human caused. People assume that what the world is now is normal. It's not; we're still in an ice age. For about 90% of its history, the world had no permanent ice. Not even at the poles. Dinosaurs lived in Antarctica and the far north of Canada. Many feel that the world is just returning to normal.

Dick

I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame you.
Dick Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Many feel that the world is just returning to normal.
Likley truer than most would like to admit. One of the problems I've seen with all of the so called comparisons between the mean average temperatures since the start of the Industrial Age and the preceeding 2-300 hundred years is the years between ~1000 and 1850 are considered to be the little Ice Age. Sure, compare what we have now against any time bewteen that span of dates and we're going to look hotter than "normal".
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2006, 11:55 PM   #6
dav4463

Humans give themselves far too much credit and blame. The world will spin whether we are here or not. Forest Fires, hurricanes, tornados, blizzards, droughts, floods, and global warming will all occur naturally and there is nothing much that we can do about it. That's my opinion.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:45 AM   #7
melman

Could not agree more with this quote "Lastly there is a clear attempt to establish truth NOT by scientific methods but by perpetual repetition." I'm sure that Mr Lindzen will now be cast as a no nothing who works for either the Bush administration or an oil company or two.
melman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
schweitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by melman
Could not agree more with this quote "Lastly there is a clear attempt to establish truth NOT by scientific methods but by perpetual repetition."
That is a great quote---the "truth by perpetual repetition" applys to todays mainstream media in many areas other than global warming.
schweitz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Gore won.
The SC gave it to Bush.
Bush lied.
The earth is getting warmer.

Repeat, class,

Gore won........
Old 07-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #10
so.cal.fan

<Humans give themselves far too much credit and blame. The world will spin whether we are here or not. Forest Fires, hurricanes, tornados, blizzards, droughts, floods, and global warming will all occur naturally and there is nothing much that we can do about it. That's my opinion>.

That is my opinion as well, Dav4463!
so.cal.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2006, 06:38 PM   #11
Art P
Journeyman

WHO CARES

Global warming ...I could care less I like it hot and besides we will all be long gone by the time something happens so who cares. I dont.
Art P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #12
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala

EARTH IN THE BALANCE

Don't Believe the Hype
Al Gore is wrong. There's no "consensus" on global warming.

BY RICHARD S. LINDZEN
Sunday, July 2, 2006 12:01 a.m. EDT
Yes... Ole Mr Lindzen. Interesting fellow. Global Warming. I'm not even sure what it is? Ice caps melting.. Polar bears..and huh? You lost me already. I would say , you'd have to pretty F'ing smart to have an informed opinion either way. No? You guys seem to have strong opinions....so I suppose your intelligent enough to understand atmospheric science and all its ramifications?

Good for you. I have trouble keeping my Apartment at comfy temps. Global warming I will pass on pontificating an informed judgement. iow's, I'm to stupid.

I can tell you about LINDZEN, and Republicans though. Those dirty bastards I have a complete and thorough understanding of. They're bad. Very.

Quote:
Michaels & LINDZEN have received more than $115,000 over the last four years from coal and energy interests. World Climate Review, a quarterly he founded that routinely debunks climate concerns, was funded by Western Fuels. Over the last six years, either alone or with colleagues, Balling has received more than $200,000 from coal and oil interests in Great Britain, Germany, and elsewhere. Balling (along with Sherwood Idso) has also taken money from Cyprus Minerals, a mining company that has been a major funder of People for the West—a militantly anti-environmental "Wise Use" group. Lindzen, for his part, charges oil and coal interests $2,500 a day for his consulting services; his 1991 trip to testify before a Senate committee was paid for by Western Fuels, and a speech he wrote, entitled "Global Warming: the Origin and Nature of Alleged Scientific Consensus," was underwritten by OPEC
All I do is follow the money. That is where you find the greedy rats. It is a rather simple equation.

Money ='s Republican Rats.

Now you fellas are Gamblers I assume..? ...Your hanging around a Horse racing message board... so I understand you a bit.

Let me fill you in on a story about LINDZEN you can identify with.

In 2004, LINDZEN said he was willing to take bets that global average temperatures in 20 years will in fact be lower than they are now!

Climatologist James Annan, took him up on his offer and offered him 2-1!! Annan would put up his own money!! And give LINDZEN 2-1!!

LINDZEN balked! Refused the wager!! Said he would only bet if Annan gave him 50-1!! Thats right.. Lindzen would only take 50-1 that his opinion was right. That is a coward and a clown in my book....and you don't have to know anything about global warming to make that judgement!!

Here is the story:
http://julesandjames.blogspot.com/20...hange-its.html.

But yet more.

Here is a letter from Garrey Carruthers to LINDZEN about forming and joining the The Advancement of Sound Science Coalition (TASSC). The organization cited in the article.

http://tobaccodocuments.org/pm/20469...Ba-z%5D%2A&#p1

Its a Phillip Morris & big energy shill. Lindzen went up on Capital Hill and testified science doesnt support that smoking is bad for you.

Here's a little ditty on them.
Quote:
One of the forerunners of TASSC at Philip Morris was a 1988 "Proposal for the Whitecoat Project," named after the white laboratory coats that scientists sometimes wear. The project had four goals: "Resist and roll back smoking restrictions. Restore smoker confidence. Reverse scientific and popular misconception that ETS is harmful. Restore social acceptability of smoking."
To achieve these goals, the plan was to first "generate a body of scientific and technical knowledge" through research "undertaken by whitecoats, contract laboratories and commercial organizations"; then "disseminate and exploit such knowledge through specific communication programs." Covington & Burling, PM's law firm, would function as the executive arm of the Whitecoat Project, acting as a "legal buffer . . . the interface with the operating units (whitecoats, laboratories, etc.)."

The effort to create a scientific defense for secondhand smoke was only one component in the tobacco industry's multi-million-dollar PR campaign. To defeat cigarette excise taxes, a Philip Morris strategy document outlined plans for "Co-op efforts with third party tax organizations"--libertarian anti-taxation think tanks, such as Americans for Tax Reform, Citizens for a Sound Economy, Citizens for Tax Justice and the Tax Foundation. Other third party allies included the National Journalism Center, the Heartland Institute, the Claremont Institute, and National Empowerment Television, a conservative TV network.

In one memo to Philip Morris CEO Michael A. Miles, vice president Craig L. Fuller noted that he was "working with many third party allies to develop position papers, op-eds and letters to the editor detailing how tobacco is already one of the most heavily regulated products in the marketplace, and derailing arguments against proposed bans on tobacco advertising."
Figuring out Global Warming is tough stuff..... Figuring republicans is easy.

Last edited by Suff; 07-03-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2006, 08:23 PM   #13
lsbets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff
Figuring out Global Warming is tough stuff..... Figuring republicans is easy.
If I had wrote Suff instead of Sec in my post, figuring you guys would have been proven to be even easier. You guys are nothing if not predictable. Sec, Suff, whatever, the names appear to be interchangeable.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:25 PM   #14
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbets
If I had wrote Suff instead of Sec in my post, figuring you guys would have been proven to be even easier. You guys are nothing if not predictable. Sec, Suff, whatever, the names appear to be interchangeable.
blah blah blah... what? you post a minute after me when I gave you at least 15 minutes worth of reading....

It is very important to read. I try to read.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2006, 08:43 PM   #15
lsbets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff
blah blah blah... what? you post a minute after me when I gave you at least 15 minutes worth of reading....

It is very important to read. I try to read.
If that's 15 minutes worth of reading for you, that doesn't say much for that Boston education.