Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-08-2022, 08:52 PM   #16
MJC922

It's a good point. The first strike right-handed was fine imo, he was plenty far out into the track to move inward a bit to throw some kickback. That's exactly what I'd have wanted done but I don't understand the multiple heavy left reining after that, it's too much and then throwing body weight off center to cross all the way over into the path is a real pet peeve of mine. If it's my horse I don't want to see anything like that done throwing weight around.

Last edited by MJC922; 08-08-2022 at 08:54 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 08:52 PM   #17
Al Gobbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Since the 30 day suspension, Ortiz has been untouchable in New York. Nothing has changed with his riding, but now he seemingly gets a free pass. The stewards issued a stern ruling but are not willing to go any further.
and he got to serve that 30 day suspension basically at the most quite part of the racing calendar

I’ll add this - if Irad was doing this in late 90’s-early 2000’s SoCal there is no way guys like Nakatani, Pedroza or PVal would’ve put up with his repeated antics

Last edited by Al Gobbi; 08-08-2022 at 08:55 PM.
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 08:54 PM   #18
1st time lasix

In this instance… he was not DQed because the jock didn’t cost any horse a placing. Do I acknowledge that Irad looked in and then in the final stages “attempt to intimidate “… of course. But really…… to even suggest in passing that the stewards were corrupt or potentially influenced by wagering is so far fetched. IMO A frickin crazy conspiracy theory which is absolutely ludicrous. Shame on those who spout this nonsense
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 09:05 PM   #19
HorsemenHeist

Every trainer should want Irad riding their horse, he actually tries to win. And that counts a lot in a country that is filled with jockeys not giving their best effort.
HorsemenHeist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 09:10 PM   #20
RunDustyRun

If his name was Paco Lopez he would be suspended for six months...NYRA will not suspend their golden boy...and by the way Saez is the best jock at the meet...

Last edited by RunDustyRun; 08-08-2022 at 09:17 PM.
RunDustyRun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 09:16 PM   #21
RunDustyRun

And before you criticize me PA...I'm up big big on the meet so I'm no disgruntled better...and fyi I've never researched the religion of any talking head and I can't believe others would..TLG has probably win me some money this meet but he is a crank!
RunDustyRun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 10:17 PM   #22
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsemenHeist View Post
Every trainer should want Irad riding their horse, he actually tries to win. And that counts a lot in a country that is filled with jockeys not giving their best effort.
I’ve seen plenty times when the Ortiz bros give no try efforts. Never on a Pletcher or Chad horse though…
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 11:33 PM   #23
Track Phantom

When did this abrupt intimidation riding become a thing? I don't remember this from the '80's and '90's and, in fact, I saw a couple of older races recently and noticed how straight the riders were keeping their horses.

Actually, I believe the first time I really noticed it was Kent Desormeaux in the Belmont on Real Quiet.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:02 AM   #24
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDustyRun View Post
If his name was Paco Lopez he would be suspended for six months...NYRA will not suspend their golden boy...and by the way Saez is the best jock at the meet...
NYRA doesn't suspend riders. Why is this so confusing to people?
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2022, 12:02 AM   #25
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post
When did this abrupt intimidation riding become a thing? I don't remember this from the '80's and '90's and, in fact, I saw a couple of older races recently and noticed how straight the riders were keeping their horses.

Actually, I believe the first time I really noticed it was Kent Desormeaux in the Belmont on Real Quiet.
Have you ever seen Pat Valenzuela.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2022, 12:22 AM   #26
Someday Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
It's a good point. The first strike right-handed was fine imo, he was plenty far out into the track to move inward a bit to throw some kickback. That's exactly what I'd have wanted done but I don't understand the multiple heavy left reining after that, it's too much and then throwing body weight off center to cross all the way over into the path is a real pet peeve of mine. If it's my horse I don't want to see anything like that done throwing weight around.
It only makes sense if Johnny V got two free punches on Irad's nose afterwards.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2022, 07:43 AM   #27
burnsy
self medicated

[QUOTE=Track Phantom;2822886]When did this abrupt intimidation riding become a thing? I don't remember this from the '80's and '90's and, in fact, I saw a couple of older races recently and noticed how straight the riders were keeping their horses.

[url]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I0iFI7aLsQY[/https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I0iFI7aLsQY
You gotta be kidding me. Irad rides old school. That’s the way it was done by many of the top jocks back then . The thing is back then most times nobody said or did anything about it. And before my time jocks were known to take a swipe at opposing riders if no one was looking. It’s just the opposite of what you’re saying . Now, they actually face more discipline. This video is the 1980 Preakness. Codex takes Genuine Risk out to get a hot dog on the turn. Herding was a way of life back then . When you’re at the top of any sport ….. many will push the limits. Being over competitive is usually the sign of the drive you need to be on top. The rules are way more enforced these days IMO. Yeah, he intimidated Saturday but he was never really near Happy Saver either. He was not along side , he had room to work with. Of course people don’t like it . But there’s a lot at stake and that SOB refuses to lose. People think these guys get to the top being nice? Yeah ok.

Last edited by burnsy; 08-09-2022 at 07:48 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2022, 07:58 AM   #28
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I think they called it 'race riding' back in the day.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2022, 08:09 AM   #29
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
I think they called it 'race riding' back in the day.
Exactly. No one can tell me that enforcement has decreased. That’s just the dumbest thing you could write in here. The race riding is way less severe or common these days. Because they will go after the rider now. As they probably should for safety sake . But to say that kind of riding is more prevalent today? You’re outta you f’in mind!

I saw an interview with Angel and Jacinto. They asked what they thought about that ride. Jacinto said if things were switched around he would of tried to do the same thing that Angel did to Genuine Risk.

Last edited by burnsy; 08-09-2022 at 08:18 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2022, 09:31 AM   #30
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Clearly, 30 days failed to deliver the message.

I say the stewards should call Irad in for a meeting and go over video from take your pick/any number of his rides, and then afterwards, calmly tell him:

"Herding is dangerous. Unless we act you are eventually going to get someone killed. Effective immediately you are hereby suspended 90 days."

Imo, the stewards need to cowboy-up.

Otherwise, looking the other way WILL eventually get someone killed.

-jp

1ST Infraction....30 days..

2ND Infraction....90 days

3RD Infraction.....180 days...

Should send the message
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: