Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-06-2022, 06:16 PM   #151
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
I don't get it
I get it
Old 08-06-2022, 06:29 PM   #152
craigbraddick

I think Peter Berry gets a lot of respect in the industry. He was the first person to let me call a race in the USA back in 2008 and we still speak often more than once a week.

Peter and I have supported each other through some of life's challenges and indeed just last week he helped me with an aspect of race calling prep I needed urgent help with.

Because of the support and friendship I have had and continue to receive from Peter Berry, Ed Burgart Peter Aiello and John G. Dooley, I have rebuilt my career from ground zero to where I now call 175 plus days per year. I do not know them as well, but Michael Wrona and Robert Geller have always been there for advice as well

That said think my race calls now can compare well to any race caller in the US.

It has taken a lot of work in my part to get here but it would not have happened if it was not the gentlemen I mentioned above who believed in me when no-one else would and at a time when I had zero self belief.

I shall never be able to thank them enough.

Craig.
Old 08-06-2022, 06:36 PM   #153
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
You don't know what you're talking about. I get it, you play the authority here without facts all the time and think that's OK. You'll never change. I'm the idiot that keeps expecting you to get better.

What do you call a thousand lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?
What do you call a thousand lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?
Progress.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2022, 06:47 PM   #154
Sheffwed

yeah you get it all right

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I get it
you get it all right, you get John Imbriale calling races at America's primary meeting
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2022, 06:56 PM   #155
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

My 2 cents.

The video at Toga is worse than terrible.
I have never such bad production. The angles are amaturish at best.
I think Johnny I is calling good and we can't see what is really happening.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:06 PM   #156
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
you get it all right, you get John Imbriale calling races at America's primary meeting
Unless Tom Durkin is back calling races at NYRA in his prime, announcers don't mean much of anything to me...at all...period

Durkin was the best of the best IMO...haven't seen anyone else who could touch him with a ten foot pole...so...it doesn't really matter to me who is calling races at NYRA.

Johnny I, in my opinion, doesn't make or break anything for me. He's been with NYRA FOREVER...and I mean forever...so good for him...glad NYRA is giving him the chance to be the top dog at the top meet these past couple of seasons.

He deserves it for his loyalty all these years.

And again, IMO, he's good enough and doesn't deserve some of the comments in this thread.

Especially considering there is no Tom Durkin out there who could replace him.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-06-2022 at 07:09 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2022, 07:09 PM   #157
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
Tell me if I'm wrong.....

Watch and " LISTEN " to stretch call of Race 2.......Sat 8/6

He called the 5 in front and the 4 was battling back but 4 was already 3 lengths in front...

Hes so f*&king bad.....
I noticed that too.

That said --

Based on the calls of a lot of different announcers at a lot of different tracks over a lot of years - specifically while watching Roberts track video offered by ADWs:

I suspect the video part of the track signal and the soundtrack of the announcer's voice aren't always synchronized with each other.

Most of the time I notice this, it's because the announcer is already calling the name of the race winner as if he has already seen the horses cross the wire.

But the video part of the track signal is still showing the horses a little past the sixteenth pole.

And every once in a blue moon it's the other way around.

This is something I notice several times a week when watching Roberts track video delivered by ADWs.

Yet it's something I have never once noticed when attending the races live.

I noticed it today because I bet #5 MOSTLY HARMLESS (the horse John Imbriale called in front in the upper stretch) at a point in time when the video part of the Roberts track signal was clearly showing #4 SHE CAUGHT MY EYE as having already made the lead.

I suspect (but can't prove from 3000 miles away) that Roberts track video might be at fault here in today's SAR R2 as opposed to a blown call by the track announcer.

That said, anybody reading this post who was at Saratoga today and happened to catch the stretch run of today's R2 live:

YOU would know.

If that's the case, feel free to jump in and correct me.

-jp

Old 08-06-2022, 07:42 PM   #158
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
You said he swore. He never swore on anything. You're a lawyer. You should be better then this.
It comes as no surprise dilanesp is an attorney, He certainly likes to argue
Old 08-06-2022, 07:53 PM   #159
thespaah

One of the aspects of this thread is those who are critiquing Imbiale have never been in the booth.
Race announcing is HARD.
I tried it.
Anyone who can 'forget' the previous race horse names in 20 minutes and use whichever memory by association technique that works for them, then be able to call a race to the public and be able to convey to the public the action on the track, to me is amazing.
I had ideas about getting into the race announcing business.
I cant do it without cheating with the program.
Yeah, I tried over and over to call races on my TV into a recording device....I can't do it without sounding like I forgot my own name.
I have broadcasting experience doing hockey and baseball.
Memorizing names uniform numbers and little snippets of info about the players is difficult...BUT...I'm calling the same players over the span of a 2.5 to 3 hours. Not anywhere from 2.5 minutes ( 12 F) down to 55 to 60 seconds (5f)
So anyone on here who is taking what I deem unjustified shots as John Imbriale is free to step up to the mic and have at it.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:02 PM   #160
Tee

Trevor Denman just called the wrong horse in the 6th @ Del Mar. Airkita instead of Smiling Molly throughout the race.

Somebody start a thread. 🙄
Old 08-06-2022, 08:13 PM   #161
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
Trevor Denman just called the wrong horse in the 6th @ Del Mar. Airkita instead of Smiling Molly throughout the race.

Somebody start a thread. 🙄

Denman all time great.Imbriale isnt.
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2022, 08:24 PM   #162
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Johnny I has been terrible today, blowing call after call, over his head

Meanwhile Peter Berry calls a great WV Derby, he just sits there and no one ever gives him any real respect, and of course there are others mentioned earlier in this thread

I don't get it
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2022, 08:35 PM   #163
Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk Urging View Post
Denman all time great.Imbriale isnt.
So current ineptitude is okay because of past proficiency?
Old 08-06-2022, 08:37 PM   #164
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
So current ineptitude is okay because of past proficiency?

Yes.

Over 30 years of equity..Did you JOhnny I today?
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2022, 08:47 PM   #165
lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
I noticed that too.

That said --

Based on the calls of a lot of different announcers at a lot of different tracks over a lot of years - specifically while watching Roberts track video offered by ADWs:

I suspect the video part of the track signal and the soundtrack of the announcer's voice aren't always synchronized with each other.

Most of the time I notice this, it's because the announcer is already calling the name of the race winner as if he has already seen the horses cross the wire.

But the video part of the track signal is still showing the horses a little past the sixteenth pole.

And every once in a blue moon it's the other way around.

This is something I notice several times a week when watching Roberts track video delivered by ADWs.

Yet it's something I have never once noticed when attending the races live.

I noticed it today because I bet #5 MOSTLY HARMLESS (the horse John Imbriale called in front in the upper stretch) at a point in time when the video part of the Roberts track signal was clearly showing #4 SHE CAUGHT MY EYE as having already made the lead.

I suspect (but can't prove from 3000 miles away) that Roberts track video might be at fault here in today's SAR R2 as opposed to a blown call by the track announcer.

That said, anybody reading this post who was at Saratoga today and happened to catch the stretch run of today's R2 live:

YOU would know.

If that's the case, feel free to jump in and correct me.

-jp

I was thinking this myself and I normally watch the Fox show. I started wondering if things weren't synched up because the chiclets were ahead of what I was seeing on the track and then the sound would sometimes go with the chiclets or be behind. Haven't watched closely in a few day though.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: