Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 06-13-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
Bruddah
Veteran

To Hell with Dell and order #336608579

While my thread is not on software but hardware, I felt it was best to be viewed here.

I have been in the process over the last several weeks of trying to update to a new CPU. I reluctantly decided to use Dell, because it was the only place I could find a server with XP or XP Pro. I have heard so much negative about Dell, its' products and service but since it was the only place I could get XP or XP PRO, I chose them. Also, I liked the ability to design the system the way I wanted. I placed a final order on June 6, 2008. I received all of their initial emails stating the order had been accepted and eagerly awaited an email that the order was being processed with my ship date etc. I waited and waited and waited. Finally on June 12, 2008, I contacted their service center wanting to know what the problem was. I should say, at this point, I spent a frustrating time trying to get someone to help me. Finally a nice young man with a hard to understand accent came on line. In fairness to him, I have stated here many times, I have trouble understanding accents and this was a hard to understand Middle Eastern accent. But, to the young man's credit he was very polite, courteous and I believe tried to do his job within the system, he has to work.

We came to the conclusion that the payment process never went through. I had paid with my MasterCard Debit card. He offered to set my payment up on a Dell Charge. I explained at my age and health, I didn't want to charge anything, I had plenty of Credit cards, but please take it out of my checking account. He tried several times and couldn't get it to process. I then called my bank (of 12years) to see why the purchase was not being processed. They reminded me, I had initially set a limit of $300 daily for any purchases made with the Card. A safety precaution should I lose the card. I authorized a one time purchase to Dell for that day. Dell, never processed the purchase. Noticing this the next day I called Dell again, I told them I would authorize my Bank again to process this charge, Dell failed to process it , again. I should add by this time, I have spent approx. 3.5 hours on the phone and on HOLD! (mostly with Dell) trying to make this purchase.

Now we get to the part that really ticks me off. At No point did Dell try to email me or contact me to advise me there was a problem with my order. I had to initiate all contact. I went through 3 or 4 supervisors. When being passed from one supervisor to the next, none knew the History of my complaint. Yet, each time I spoke to someone, I was on hold for extended periods while they pulled my information or updated my information.

By this time, I had weakened and pulled out my CREDIT cards. Just as I was about to use it, a rage went over me. I said to Hell with Dell, I will go to Best Buy. The thing I hate, I will be forced to purchase Vista, when I prefer XP PRO and this is the last week you can purchase it. But, It's probably best anyway because Dell can't handle simple Technology.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
Dave Schwartz

Wait!

Don't do %$^#&% Best Buy!

Do Costco instead. You can order on line and get a custom system from HP. You'll probably be very happy. If not, you just take it back to Costco and they will reven refund the shipping!

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Bruddah
Veteran

Sounds great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Wait!

Don't do %$^#&% Best Buy!

Do Costco instead. You can order on line and get a custom system from HP. You'll probably be very happy. If not, you just take it back to Costco and they will reven refund the shipping!

Dave

But no Costco in my area. Is HP offering XP? If not, I will stay with a brick and mortar store for this purchase. To me that's ironical because a good 50% of all my purchases are made on line. Anyone else have an ideas?

Last edited by Bruddah; 06-13-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
tupper

Even though Windows is bundled with the computer, the Microsoft EULA entitles you to return the Windows disks and get a refund for them, but sometimes it is not easy: http://www.linux.com/articles/59381

Are you using any special software for handicapping or for anything else?
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
NY BRED
GARY

DELL

If you think you had trouble, try dealing with Lenovo

But, if you are still interested in Dell, I saw various Dell models at Best Buy
and Costco
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
robert99

XP is available on any stock machines after the MS "date".
Fujitsu etc and smaller builders are taking no notice of MS dictates and supply XP.
Get your own copy of XP off of Ebay.
Buy a second hand server off of Ebay which has XP.
Servers run best on Linux in any case - why let MS run your life?
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
Bruddah
Veteran

Not really interested in Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY BRED

and Costco

just wanted factory installed XP Pro. I did not, still don't like the idea of being forced to buy Vista.

And, Yes, I use wat I consider the best Horse Racing software on the market. It fits what I like to do better than any I have used. The software designer has even graciously made additions to suit my whims. (Thanks Jeff P.) He has approved Vista and seems to like it. I have tried Vista, on a friends platform and wasn't a fan afterwards. Add, some horror stories from other Vista users and I decided to stay away for the time being.

So, I decided to give Dell a try. My conclusion is to Hell with Dell. They make you go through your A&& to scratch your nose. How hard is it to process a debit transaction in this day and age. Also, how hard is it to inform the customer a transaction didn't go through, in this day and age. Finally, I hate being on hold for ions and no one knowing my problem when I am passed off to them. All for a damn debit transaction. If Dell can't handle that Technology, I am a damn sight better off without their machine.

P.S. In my rant, I failed to mention that I had another problem Dell order just the week before. Which led to this failed attempt. These guys are really inept.

Last edited by Bruddah; 06-13-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
tupper

It might be worth looking at a place like Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0&N=2002280010

Mwave will build/test the components you select (not sure if Newegg does this): http://www.mwave.com/mwave/buildit.h...mputer+Systems

Both Newegg and Mwave also offer "barebones" sytems. You just install the HD, the video card (if necessary) and the OS -- much easier than upgrading a CPU.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
dlgreg

I have purchased 4 computers from Puget Custom Computers.
Here is a link to them:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/configure.php?app_type=h

They still offer Windows XP Pro as an option.
dlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2008, 10:38 PM   #10
ddog

Do you have any local computer stores in the area around you.
A little Mom and Pop type strip mall store?

If so I would go and talk it over with them.

Lots of those types of retailers could fix you up a decent server/pc and would be thrilled to install Xp for you.

They may even have some trades or unsold older stock around that would satisfy your needs.

Obviously do not know your CPU needs , but it is easy to buy way more than you need with this item.

IMo most software will benefit from faster memory/bus and disk access more than raw CPU cycles.
ddog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #11
ddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgreg
I have purchased 4 computers from Puget Custom Computers.
Here is a link to them:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/configure.php?app_type=h

They still offer Windows XP Pro as an option.
ddog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #12
Bruddah
Veteran

Thanks for the Heads Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY BRED

and Costco
I saw several Lenovo systems at the Puget systems addy. They were priced attractively. Actually, I had never heard of them until your post.

WOW! The Puget systems must be good and strong. I admit, there was some sticker shock when even looking at the base models. However, you can definitely get what you want. Thanks Guys.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
punteray

Try this one

Go to portatech.com----------------you can build a computer from scratch with xppro and they will pay the shipping. And their prices are great.

Punteray
punteray is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #14
tupper

If you are going to have someone build a custom computer, consider choosing a motherboard that offers the instant-on desktop, "Splashtop": http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives..._standard.html

Asus makes excellent motherboards, and they already have about a dozen motherboards with Splashtop: http://www.splashtop.com/availability.php?cat=1

Here is the Splashtop home page: http://www.splashtop.com/

Mwave and Newegg sell some of these MBs. The great thing about these outfits is the huge selection and the cheap prices. And it only cost $75 more to have Mwave build and test a system from the components you choose.

Quote:
I saw several Lenovo systems at the Puget systems addy. They were priced attractively. Actually, I had never heard of them until your post.
Lenovo is the Chinese company that was formerly IBM's PC division.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #15
dutchboy
Veteran

It sounds like they did you a favor. To use a debit card instead of a credit card and then give access to your checking account may not be the best idea. If you place a limit of 300 on a debit card how can you expect them to ship a computer. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruddah
While my thread is not on software but hardware, I felt it was best to be viewed here.

I have been in the process over the last several weeks of trying to update to a new CPU. I reluctantly decided to use Dell, because it was the only place I could find a server with XP or XP Pro. I have heard so much negative about Dell, its' products and service but since it was the only place I could get XP or XP PRO, I chose them. Also, I liked the ability to design the system the way I wanted. I placed a final order on June 6, 2008. I received all of their initial emails stating the order had been accepted and eagerly awaited an email that the order was being processed with my ship date etc. I waited and waited and waited. Finally on June 12, 2008, I contacted their service center wanting to know what the problem was. I should say, at this point, I spent a frustrating time trying to get someone to help me. Finally a nice young man with a hard to understand accent came on line. In fairness to him, I have stated here many times, I have trouble understanding accents and this was a hard to understand Middle Eastern accent. But, to the young man's credit he was very polite, courteous and I believe tried to do his job within the system, he has to work.

We came to the conclusion that the payment process never went through. I had paid with my MasterCard Debit card. He offered to set my payment up on a Dell Charge. I explained at my age and health, I didn't want to charge anything, I had plenty of Credit cards, but please take it out of my checking account. He tried several times and couldn't get it to process. I then called my bank (of 12years) to see why the purchase was not being processed. They reminded me, I had initially set a limit of $300 daily for any purchases made with the Card. A safety precaution should I lose the card. I authorized a one time purchase to Dell for that day. Dell, never processed the purchase. Noticing this the next day I called Dell again, I told them I would authorize my Bank again to process this charge, Dell failed to process it , again. I should add by this time, I have spent approx. 3.5 hours on the phone and on HOLD! (mostly with Dell) trying to make this purchase.

Now we get to the part that really ticks me off. At No point did Dell try to email me or contact me to advise me there was a problem with my order. I had to initiate all contact. I went through 3 or 4 supervisors. When being passed from one supervisor to the next, none knew the History of my complaint. Yet, each time I spoke to someone, I was on hold for extended periods while they pulled my information or updated my information.

By this time, I had weakened and pulled out my CREDIT cards. Just as I was about to use it, a rage went over me. I said to Hell with Dell, I will go to Best Buy. The thing I hate, I will be forced to purchase Vista, when I prefer XP PRO and this is the last week you can purchase it. But, It's probably best anyway because Dell can't handle simple Technology.
dutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply