Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-31-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
Afleet

Can't get here soon enough

I am so sick of 5 1/2 furlong turf races. None of that at OP

Four $1 million stakes races: the $1 million Rebel Stakes (G2), $1 million Arkansas Derby (G1), $1 million Oaklawn Handicap (G2) and $1 million Apple Blossom Handicap (G1) highlight Oaklawn's 2020 stakes schedule.

In addition, the richest prep series to the Kentucky Derby Presented by Woodford Reserve (G1) and Longines Kentucky Oaks (G1) will see significant bumps to the Southwest Stakes (G3), Honeybee Stakes (G3), and Fantasy Stakes (G3).

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...lawn-park-2020
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
Afleet

missed this part:

Rebel Stakes weekend also will feature three other stakes, including the inaugural $125,000 Temperence Hill Stakes March 13 for 4-year-olds and up at 1 1/2 miles. The race is named in honor of the 1980 champion 3-year-old who won the Rebel, Arkansas Derby, and Belmont Stakes (G1) before returning the following year to win the Oaklawn Handicap.

gotta love it
Old 07-31-2019, 06:46 PM   #3
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Can't wait for 6 furlong dirt races?

I just can't get excited about a meet without turf races. Handicapping dirt races is boring, you pick the speed horse 95% of the time.

And there is a Breeders cup happening before that.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2019, 09:26 PM   #4
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post

I just can't get excited about a meet without turf races. Handicapping dirt races is boring, you pick the speed horse 95% of the time.

And there is a Breeders cup happening before that.
I love state breds running 5 1/2 furlongs on the turf every other race
Old 08-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post

I just can't get excited about a meet without turf races. Handicapping dirt races is boring, you pick the speed horse 95% of the time

If you play Oaklawn like that (chalk) chances are you're going home broke.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2019, 05:54 PM   #6
LoserAtTheTrack

I could not agree more. So sick of the 5 1/2 F turf crap at Saratoga. Oaklawn is by far my favorite track. I wish I has the discipline to not play this other crap the rest of the year.
LoserAtTheTrack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #7
46zilzal
velocitician

Turf is SO MUCH about the trip as the majority of the field makes their moves EXACTLY at the same time so traffic trouble is guaranteed....Guaranteed.

best horses LOSE all the time because they can't make their potential moves...becomes guesswork
Old 08-06-2019, 06:23 AM   #8
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
Turf is SO MUCH about the trip as the majority of the field makes their moves EXACTLY at the same time so traffic trouble is guaranteed....Guaranteed.

best horses LOSE all the time because they can't make their potential moves...becomes guesswork
Stick with proven grass jocks and you won’t go wrong.

It’s the inexperienced that get into trouble

How many times have you seen Frankie Dettori get into trouble.

And the answer is very rarely.

He,s ridden in so many grass races, it is second nature to him to avoid trouble.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #9
The_Turf_Monster

I'll bet turf sprints all day long over Oaklawn's dirt-only cards whose meet is highlighted by a series of 3rd and 4th rate 3 year old prep races
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2019, 01:48 PM   #10
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
I'll bet turf sprints all day long over Oaklawn's dirt-only cards whose meet is highlighted by a series of 3rd and 4th rate 3 year old prep races
Yeah, it has really sucked going to Oaklawn all these years and seeing 4th-raters like Super Saver, Lookin at Lucky, Rachel Alexandra, Zenyatta, Havre de Grace, Bodemeister, Oxbow, Tiago, Sunny's Halo, Temperance Hill, Blind Luck, Will Take Charge, Ginger Punch, American Pharoah, Gun Runner, Lawyer Ron, Unbridled, Lil E. Tee, Azeri, Creator, Cigar, Victory Gallop, Eight Belles, Hard Spun, Classic Empire, Danza, Grindstone, Summer Bird, Smarty Jones, Afleet Alex, Curlin, Game Winner, et. al. race in all those boring sandy loam dirt races.

/sarcasm

Since by your username it's obvious you are a turf fan, I understand that you would probably not be an oaklawn fan since they don't have a turf course. We like what we like.

I just feel very blessed to have a track that I can drive to in 7-12 minutes, so I'm sure you can appreciate that I'm an Oaklawn fan. I enjoy the "local talent" like wayne lukas, asmussen, calvin borel, ricardo santana, Mitole, Whitmore, and the beloved Ivan Fallunovalot, vic stauffer, etc. I attend the races in person, along with the other 551,650 people who went to the Oaklawn track last year.

Pretty sure I would be closing down my AWD participation other than to wager races abroad. Those are the turf races I enjoy, but they are mostly all longer routes. But lately I really have little use for an online account as I do not enjoy racing that I can't see in person.

Hopefully with new barns built every year at Oaklawn they will not have to deny barns to horsemen who want to get in like they are forced to do every year. Last year they could only accommodate 1,563 horses in stalls and had to turn trainers away.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2019, 05:02 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
LOL, come on man.

This year we saw Mitole, Midnight Bisou, Elate, Game Winner, Omaha Beach, just to name a few. The day to day racing is great. The purses are huge and drawing very good horses. It is as good as any racing in the country save Saratoga and maybe Keeneland.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #12
parlay

Oaklawn is the best run track in NA. The lack of TURF is its only small shortcoming. I look forward to it as much as Saratoga. From a players perspective it is head and shoulders above most NA TRACKS.
parlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #13
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
LOL, come on man.

This year we saw Mitole, Midnight Bisou, Elate, Game Winner, Omaha Beach, just to name a few. The day to day racing is great. The purses are huge and drawing very good horses. It is as good as any racing in the country save Saratoga and maybe Keeneland.
Seems to me there's a disproportionate amount of horses at OP coming off layoffs given the season it runs, not a great handicapping meet imo. To each his own though
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #14
delsully
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Yeah, it has really sucked going to Oaklawn all these years and seeing 4th-raters like Super Saver, Lookin at Lucky, Rachel Alexandra, Zenyatta, Havre de Grace, Bodemeister, Oxbow, Tiago, Sunny's Halo, Temperance Hill, Blind Luck, Will Take Charge, Ginger Punch, American Pharoah, Gun Runner, Lawyer Ron, Unbridled, Lil E. Tee, Azeri, Creator, Cigar, Victory Gallop, Eight Belles, Hard Spun, Classic Empire, Danza, Grindstone, Summer Bird, Smarty Jones, Afleet Alex, Curlin, Game Winner, et. al. race in all those boring sandy loam dirt races.

/sarcasm

Since by your username it's obvious you are a turf fan, I understand that you would probably not be an oaklawn fan since they don't have a turf course. We like what we like.

I just feel very blessed to have a track that I can drive to in 7-12 minutes, so I'm sure you can appreciate that I'm an Oaklawn fan. I enjoy the "local talent" like wayne lukas, asmussen, calvin borel, ricardo santana, Mitole, Whitmore, and the beloved Ivan Fallunovalot, vic stauffer, etc. I attend the races in person, along with the other 551,650 people who went to the Oaklawn track last year.

Pretty sure I would be closing down my AWD participation other than to wager races abroad. Those are the turf races I enjoy, but they are mostly all longer routes. But lately I really have little use for an online account as I do not enjoy racing that I can't see in person.

Hopefully with new barns built every year at Oaklawn they will not have to deny barns to horsemen who want to get in like they are forced to do every year. Last year they could only accommodate 1,563 horses in stalls and had to turn trainers away.
I draw the line at stauffer
delsully is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2019, 08:47 PM   #15
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Stick with proven grass jocks and you won’t go wrong.

It’s the inexperienced that get into trouble

How many times have you seen Frankie Dettori get into trouble.

And the answer is very rarely.
The absolute BEST rider I ever saw, Laffit Pincay. had a significantly lower win stat on the grass than the traditional dirt.

TRIPS (out of the control of the rider) have so much to do with the outcome. and it is totally out of everyone's control