Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Andy Beyer 9 8.11%
Steve Crist 7 6.31%
Mark Cramer 19 17.12%
Andy Serling 21 18.92%
Pittsburg Phil 11 9.91%
Steve Davidowitz 7 6.31%
Doug Salvatore 6 5.41%
CJ 13 11.71%
Tom Brohamer 14 12.61%
James Quirin 4 3.60%
Voters: 111. This poll is closed

Old 10-26-2013, 01:20 AM   #46
DeoVolente

Brad Thomas
DeoVolente is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #47
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoVolente
Brad Thomas

Wow great call......don't know how he was left off the list....hardest working guy in racing is what people call him
Old 10-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #48
JBmadera

I would go with Ken Massa. Cramer would be interesting too.
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #49
barshoe

Jeff Platt and c.j
barshoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #50
JohnGalt1

Since I base my handicapping method on both Howard Sartin and William L. Scott I would like them--if Mr. Scott was still living--to point out where I've misinterpreted their methods and where I could improve on their ideas.

I've always wondered if Bill and Scott Finley use any of their dad's ideas from his three books.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #51
lsosa54

After that last PA outing weekend at Saratoga, I'm splitting my bankroll between PA and Daryl's (Zaf) friend Andy. I may need to stock up on the Zantac but I guarantee you we're making money.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #52
howardjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity
in that spirit i was about to write in howard bradshaw.

Just for the record, it was Jim Bradshaw, a gentleman and ace in four-finger DRF pace handicapping. I use to watch him do it at the Woodlands in Kansas City, KS.

Vic Stauffer was the caller then, around '89.

Great weekend to all.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #53
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Doug is one of the best I know. He is a modern day handicapper. He attacks different types of races from different angles.

I hate Royal Delta in the Distaff, he loves her. That will make me take another look.
Royal Delta is the key to that race.

It's not unusual for Mott to back off his horses in the race prior to the "main event" to try to get a peak on the right day. I said that somewhere before the confrontation with Princess of Sylmar and again right after the race. Then Mott publicly said as much after the loss a few days later.

The thing is, I think you can make a reasonable case she's not quite as good this year as her peak last year anyway. So even if she was a tad short last time, that doesn't mean she's coming back with her peak of last year in the Distaff. She might run better and still lose.

Plus, I have a very minority opinion on her. IMO she has had way more than her fair share of perfect trips in her career. She had a few sitting just off the pace while her only major contenders were beating each other up, a couple sitting on the rail saving all the ground and then coming out into the stretch, a couple that were bias aided, and she wired or beat up a couple of really bad fields in her big figure wins. So IMO, she was never quite as good as some people were making her out to be to begin with.

I guess that sounds like I am really negative on her chances, but I'm not. She is VERY good on her best day and I understand Doug's probable thinking.

IMO she's just not quite a good as most people think and I think that's why her record is a little spotty.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 10-26-2013 at 11:29 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #54
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
Royal Delta is the key to that race.

It's not unusual for Mott to back off his horses in the race prior to the "main event" to try to get a peak on the right day. I said that somewhere before the confrontation with Princess of Sylmar and again right after the race. Then Mott publicly said as much after the loss a few days later.

The thing is, I think you can make a reasonable case she's not quite as good this year as her peak last year anyway. So even if she was a tad short last time, that doesn't mean she's coming back with her peak of last year in the Distaff. She might run better and still lose.

Plus, I have a very minority opinion on her. IMO she has had way more than her fair share of perfect trips in her career. She had a few sitting just off the pace while her only major contenders were beating each other up, a couple sitting on the rail saving all the ground and then coming out into the stretch, a couple that were bias aided, and she wired or beat up a couple of really bad fields in her big figure wins. So IMO, she was never quite as good as some people were making her out to be to begin with.

I guess that sounds like I am really negative on her chances, but I'm not. She is VERY good on her best day and I understand Doug's probable thinking.

IMO she's just not quite a good as most people think and I think that's why her record is a little spotty.
My opinion is that I believe she probably wasn't fully cranked up for that last race, but I also don't believe she is as good as she has been. Further, she has to deal with Beholder early. She hasn't rated and won in a long time.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2013, 04:39 AM   #55
BetHorses!

Of the cappers listed who makes money at the end of the year betting?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #56
shouldacoulda

I would spend the year with TLG. Maybe I could get on TV. I love his stinging sarcasm too
Old 10-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #57
TheEdge07
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetHorses!
Of the cappers listed who makes money at the end of the year betting?
Salvatore
CJ
TheEdge07 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #58
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldacoulda
I would spend the year with TLG. Maybe I could get on TV. I love his stinging sarcasm too
I know this doesn't have to do with the thread but your Schopenhauer quote.I'm rereading for the first time in 22 years Norman Brown's Life Against Death:The Psychoanalytical Meaning of History.Really blew my hair back as an 18 yr old.Anyway in an early chapter talking about "What is the essence of man",he reels off how Plato and Aristotle defined the summum bonam for man as contemplation(juxtaposed with eros).Descartes for man as a thinking animal.Then Feuerbach and Marx a life of "practical sensuous activity".But in Schopenhauer "There marked a great seccession from Western Tradition of the really rather insane goal of mankind to become as contemplative as possible" by instilling the essence of man as the primacy of will.

What a concept!

Great quote by you.I never saw it.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #59
JimG

Easy answer for me as a JCapper user. Jeff Platt. I hear the weather is nice in San Diego.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #60
shouldacoulda

Thanks Cincy. I saw a quote by him on somebodies signature on this forum and looked him up. He had some great ones. I liked this one. It reminds me of television now a days.