Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-06-2018, 08:47 AM   #1
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Are stewards allowed to bet on horse racing ?

There must be some type of stipulations but what are they?
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
bello
Veteran

If they want to bet they will bet
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
mountainman

No official is permitted to bet any race conducted by the track they work at. There are tracks that also frown (severely) on officials attending simulcast and playing ANY horse race originating from ANYWHERE.

I even remember hearing about an official getting fired for betting other tracks. His employer stated that he was unlikely to draw a line and resist playing his home track.

To me, the irony is that the sort of interest required to play races would probably translate to some passion for an official's work.

It's always astounded me how disinterested most officials are in the very events they produce and administer. Put 10 of them in a room showing a horse race, and I guarantee you seven will ignore the monitor.

Last edited by mountainman; 12-06-2018 at 09:43 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
v j stauffer

When I was a California Steward it was stipulated in the contract that wagering was grounds for immediate dismissal. It was also suggested that wagering on races around the country, even if not assigned that day, even a KY Derby pool, was unacceptable. I also stopped playing poker or sports. Didn't think the Executive Director would appreciate a cell phone photo of me sitting at card table.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
jay68802

I think it is strange that it is like this. I understand why stewards are not allowed to wager, but why doesn't the same logic apply to owners, trainers, and jockeys?
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #6
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
I can understand the reasoning for stewards not being allowed to bet.

On the other hand, as a horseplayer --

It is my opinion that many of racing's biggest problems arose and continue unabated - because racing's decision makers do not bet.

-jp

Old 12-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #7
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
I think it is strange that it is like this. I understand why stewards are not allowed to wager, but why doesn't the same logic apply to owners, trainers, and jockeys?
In many jurisdictions jockeys cannot wager on any races including simulcast. Owners and trainers can wager but must ONLY use their horse to win. No exacta boxes. Must single in horizontals.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #8
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
In many jurisdictions jockeys cannot wager on any races including simulcast. Owners and trainers can wager but must ONLY use their horse to win. No exacta boxes. Must single in horizontals.
I always thought the rules were the same for all of them.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #9
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
I always thought the rules were the same for all of them.
Owners buy a ticket on their horse and give it to the jock all the time. Race tracks have never had a problem with that. At smaller venues. Agents with leading riders often choose a particular mount over another based on the barn's willingness to bet for the jockey. Agent gets half of any money bet for the jock. Their are some riders that tend to forget to tell their agent when they are given a ticket.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 12-06-2018 at 12:28 PM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #10
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Owners bet FOR jockeys all the time. Race tracks have never had a problem with that.
My memory is jogged now, the wording I read for the rules did read something like that. Now, I just need to remember where the bathroom is.....
Old 12-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #11
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

How much do stewards make...? Are they well paid and enjoy great benefits...? Many of the stewards rose from the ranks of people who formerly did have a financial interest in the outcomes. Can the stewards own horses...? Do the stewards have friends or relatives that own or train horses...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #12
Prioress Ply

Yeah I'm sure it's limited to just a win ticket for the jockey since we all know that owners, trainers and jockeys are some of the most honest and law abiding people on earth.

We also know that the racetrack itself is closely monitoring any untoward wagering by insiders (by example through straw men third parties that could possibly place a bet on their behalf but of course would never do so because that would violate the rules and the rules are everything in horse racing).
Prioress Ply is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #13
turfnsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
I can understand the reasoning for stewards not being allowed to bet.

On the other hand, as a horseplayer --

It is my opinion that many of racing's biggest problems arose and continue unabated - because racing's decision makers do not bet.

-jp

The stewards don't even read the DRF. I remember there was a race in NY a few years ago where Chad Brown had a rabbit and there was some type of controversy over an inquiry, I forget which race.

Everyone knew about the rabbit but the stewards. Totally clueless about trainer's intentions. You would think they would show some interest in what is going on.

Vic will come to their defense but most are ill informed and are not qualified for their positions.

The confidence level in stewards has never been lower, and it's a problem.

They don't bet because most probably did not bet before they became stewards and have no understanding of gambling.
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #14
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
How much do stewards make...? Are they well paid and enjoy great benefits...? Many of the stewards rose from the ranks of people who formerly did have a financial interest in the outcomes. Can the stewards own horses...? Do the stewards have friends or relatives that own or train horses...?
I can only speak to California. They are independent contractors that were paid $525.00 per racing day in 2015. Safety Stewards a little bit more because of a much longer work day. I doubt it's gone up much. Although they don't have a benefits plan per se. We did get a reimbursement when we purchased personal insurance. They also receive a travel stipend when assigned to a track away from their home base. Stewards cannot own horses. Some Stewards do have relatives that own horses. They typically recuse themselves from races and or hearings that involve those family members.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Troll question brah (and just so nobody gets all in a tither, this is aimed at the OP)