Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 11-29-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
Blenheim
Race Player

The Remsen Stakes

Remsen PPs

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

thanks Blenheim. Initial thoughts:

Will be fun to watch.

I really like the pedigree on the 1.
I have no idea if he can run, form seems to suit the distance, but we'll find out.

Looks like the 6 can really run. I have yet to watch any replays.

Klaravich has the 5 for Brown. All I remember about the Nashua was that Vekoma hit me with a punch that I never saw... I think Brown may have had another in that Nashua who was a sluggish closer that I was looking to step up.
Again, I have to watch replays.

7 looks to be overcoming some issues. That was a legit bullet work. Could be a 'sleeper', or could be too cheap. My second favorite pedigree in here.

Mejia seems to be helping fill this race. 4 should add pace, and looks like a 50-1 shot on form, but is worth a peek. Could keep the 6 honest for a while.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:16 PM   #3
Robert Fischer
clean money

after seeing replays... looks like a match-up between the two chalk.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:02 PM   #4
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
after seeing replays... looks like a match-up between the two chalk.
I think the Parx horse is all dressed up. Take a look at the subsequent start for the runner up in his last race ( a three horse field by the way ).

Your initial instincts on the rail horse make sense to me. I think he's the competition for Network Effect, if there is any.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 12:06 AM   #5
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
I think the Parx horse is all dressed up. Take a look at the subsequent start for the runner up in his last race ( a three horse field by the way ).

Your initial instincts on the rail horse make sense to me. I think he's the competition for Network Effect, if there is any.
Tax, despite coming out of maiden claimers, has the best and most productive pedigree. Both his sire and dam are bred in the purple, each stemming from a foundation mare. Arch hails from the family of Courtly Dee, where one is hard pressed to find descendants that do not have black type. The dam Toll comes from the Glowing Tribute line. Glowing Tribute is the dam of the great Sea Hero, who is the only horse to win the Champagne, Kentucky Derby, and Travers and has a statue in his honor gracing the paddock at Saratoga.

Tax also is the only horse in the race that owns a win around two turns.

Tax also is making his first start for Danny Gargan off the claim at Keeneland, and this near 40% win-90% ITM trainer has 2 other horses claimed from the recent Keeneland meet that came right back to win at Aqueduct (one of those won twice). Both were also stepping up in class.

Add-ons: Tax has a progress worktab for this and has the nigh-invulnerable 1st time Lasix angle in his favor.

Last edited by Spalding No!; 11-30-2018 at 12:12 AM. Reason: forgot stuff
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 02:52 AM   #6
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post

Rail horse is too sluggish...

5 Network Effect is without a doubt the horse to beat. If the morning line were to hold true at post, he'd be a win bet, and the cold exacta to the 1 would entice.

I think 1 could be 3rd betting choice, and 5 could be favored.

As a fan, I'll be rooting for the Parx horse . Relaxing out of that first turn could be the deciding factor. 4 isn't much, so the should be alone up front approaching the far turn. He's never been in a real race, so I have no idea if he's professional enough to relax and cruise and handle two turns.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:03 AM   #7
jay68802

Network Effect looks the best here. The is from Parx and I have not been able to trust the figures of any horse shipping from Parx recently. The is interesting to me. Distance wise the breeding is there. Nice price for the exacta.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #8
Blenheim
Race Player

Need some luck . . .

Network Effect looks to be the horse to beat. Highest CR, E1 and E2 and his 1c and 2c have him sittin’ tight on a hot pace; a bit slower early may produce a higher LP. That low stud fee and selling price suggests a lack of class.

Maximus Mischief shows the highest speed figures, second highest CR, but his 1c and 2c are perplexing. He “widened under wraps” and the “much best” suggest reserve energy but he “bore out” . . . Those workouts mean business; if he gets out front on this speedy surface how they gonna catch this guy?

I like Bourbon War. His BRIS 81 first out was a nice first go and despite bobbling at the start he edged away. If the stats for second time starters hold, Maximus Mischief can’t stay and Network Effect lacks class, he may be good enough.

/

Best of racing luck.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #9
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenheim View Post
Network Effect looks to be the horse to beat. Highest CR, E1 and E2 and his 1c and 2c have him sittin’ tight on a hot pace; a bit slower early may produce a higher LP. That low stud fee and selling price suggests a lack of class.

Maximus Mischief shows the highest speed figures, second highest CR, but his 1c and 2c are perplexing. He “widened under wraps” and the “much best” suggest reserve energy but he “bore out” . . . Those workouts mean business; if he gets out front on this speedy surface how they gonna catch this guy?

I like Bourbon War. His BRIS 81 first out was a nice first go and despite bobbling at the start he edged away. If the stats for second time starters hold, Maximus Mischief can’t stay and Network Effect lacks class, he may be good enough.

/

Best of racing luck.
MAXIMUS MISCHIEF is a serious race horse.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
MAXIMUS MISCHIEF is a serious race horse.
'Potential' always gives me a thrill.

Should be fun to watch.

It's weird because MAX's resume is basically a bunch of flashy am works, and then the two flashy 'pm works'...

Yea, he's gone through the routine. He's entered and run twice in the afternoon, but he's never been in a real race. Never beat anything. Never had to be professional in certain aspects of a typical derby prep. Not even sure he has felt the whip in a race??

His odds won't be great today (even if the Klaravich colt goes off favored in this usually sharp and sensible NYRA betting market).

However, he has a puncher's chance stretching-out here vs this field on this track configuration for 9 Furlongs... Could have it very easy up front to the point where you just flip a coin whether he folds or holds it together.

Hey, it would be fun if he does it in style and we think we have another SMARTY JONES on our hands

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 12-01-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #11
098poi

$2 Ex

/ ,
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #12
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Not really sold on much going 9 panels as 2YOs for this bunch.

Bourbon War did what was asked in his first try on this very track. A Tapit that was sold for $410K. I'll bite.

Tax was just claimed out of a Maiden Claimer win, so you can't get too excited. However, he does get FTL and a bullet work. Pulled away at 1 1/16th last out.

is parking his comp, but at Parx and the will likely be way overbet.

I'll stab at the on top and try to beat the very likely way overbet favs in the at 9Fs.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

In the Path to Nowhere Stakes.

What a lousy field.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #14
Blenheim
Race Player

Into Mischief a source of Stamina; Does Maximus Wire em?

TDN

Stallion Register

Dirty Horse Club

Old 12-01-2018, 01:59 PM   #15
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenheim View Post
That last link is way off base calling Into Mischief a "stamina influence" (his own sire--Harlan's Holiday--is on the "speed influence" side).

Audible with his Florida Derby and ho-hum 3rd in the Kentucky Derby has shown the most stamina of any of his offspring, but it remains to be seen whether he will truly be a route type or a sprinter/miler as a 4yo.

Into Mischief's other "classic" colts like Goldencents, Practical Joke, Vyjack, and Vicar's In Trouble were somewhat capable of extending out to 9 furlongs, but ultimately found their best form going shorter and wouldn't even touch a true classic distance.

In fact, Spendthrift might do well to sponsor the BC Dirt Mile from now on...Into Mischief seems to supply 1 or 2 contenders every year in that race.

That said, this the Remsen is a light race and Maximum Mischief has enough gas to simply run them off their feet even if he tires or wanders through the stretch.

But what we are really missing out on is a match race between Maximum Mischief and Instagrand...both sons of Into Mischief. Not sure which one has been more impressive in 2 starts against light fields.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply