Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-16-2021, 01:12 AM   #181
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
Not really, perhaps there is a little devil in all of us? I really don't know. It probably belongs in the religion thread.

He did say that it's better to teach someone how to fish than to to just give them fish.
I am quite sure that the scriptures don't report Jesus ever having said this...but I don't know who did.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:13 AM   #182
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Interesting. Any idea what Jesus might have meant by his subsequent "Do not resist evil" remark?
What do you think it means?.....Context being if someone slaps you unjustified, which is an act of evil, what would be your response?
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2021, 01:14 AM   #183
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
What do you think it means?.....Context being if someone slaps you unjustified, which is an act of evil, what would be your response?
I would slap him TWICE as hard.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:16 AM   #184
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
I would slap him TWICE as hard.
Thus you missed the lesson Jesus was trying to teach.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:16 AM   #185
xtb
Ultra MAGA "Gun Bitch"

Quote:
I am quite sure that the scriptures don't report Jesus ever having said this...but I don't know who did.
Obviously not in those words but something to that effect.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2021, 01:17 AM   #186
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
He did say that it's better to teach someone how to fish than to to just give them fish.
Not unless Jesus was from China.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:19 AM   #187
thaskalos

Quote:
Thus you missed the lesson Jesus was trying to teach.
It's just as well. If I got too smart...who would Margie pick on here?
Old 01-16-2021, 01:25 AM   #188
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
It's just as well. If I got too smart...who would Margie pick on here?
Nice retort, but not so fast. Back to the lesson, there is victory over the one who slaps, showing that their violence failed to accomplish what it was intended to. It shows the aggressor that one cannot be cowed or controlled.

There is something enormously powerful about a person who is strong enough and courageous enough to strike back in one’s own defense, but who chooses not to do so. Every time this rarity happens, it is a display of the Gospel being present and active in a believer.

Now if you turn the other cheek and your slapped a second time, all bets are off....
Old 01-16-2021, 01:26 AM   #189
thaskalos

Quote:
Nice retort, but not so fast. Back to the lesson, there is victory over the one who slaps, showing that their violence failed to accomplish what it was intended to. It shows the aggressor that one cannot be cowed or controlled.

There is something enormously powerful about a person who is strong enough and courageous enough to strike back in one’s own defense, but who chooses not to do so. Every time this rarity happens, it is a display of the Gospel being present and active in a believer.

Now if you turn the other cheek and your slapped a second time, all bets are off....
You had me worried there for a second.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:33 AM   #190
thaskalos

Quote:

On a serious note, Randall...you've taken the "Do not resist evil" remark and turned it into the "turn the other cheek" directive. Your point seems reasonable if by "evil" we mean a mere slap in the face. But what if the "evil" is a violent physical attack on someone else? Do we still choose "not to resist evil"...thereby proving that we "cannot be cowed or controlled"?

Last edited by thaskalos; 01-16-2021 at 01:41 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2021, 01:40 AM   #191
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
On a serious note, Randall...you've taken the "Do not resist evil" remark and turned it into the "turn the other cheek" directive. Your point seems reasonable if by "evil" we mean a mere slap in the face. But what if the "evil" is a violent physical attack on someone else? Do we still choose "not to resist evil"...thereby showing that we "cannot be cowed or controlled"?
Bad things happen to "good people" all the time....Defending oneself in a life or death situation is one thing, but the evil in todays world seems to be of a much more complex controlling nature and the stripping away of one's freedoms. a continuous slapping in the face, so to speak....This is where strong faith in a higher power is absolutely required to overcome the corruption of this world.

Last edited by ReplayRandall; 01-16-2021 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:47 AM   #192
thaskalos

Quote:
Bad things happen to "good people" all the time....Defending oneself in a life or death situation is one thing, but the evil in todays world seems to be of a much more complex controlling nature and the stripping away of one's freedoms....This is where strong faith in a higher power is absolutely required to overcome the corruption of this world.
To be honest, my good friend...I have no faith at all in a "higher power". If some "higher power" out there could be trusted...I doubt that we would see all the shit that we've been witnessing in this maddening world of ours. No...I think that we are quite alone in our human struggles. Of course...this doesn't mean that I would ever belittle the religious beliefs of someone else. I just wish that some people, in turn...wouldn't belittle mine.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:03 AM   #193
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
To be honest, my good friend...I have no faith at all in a "higher power". If some "higher power" out there could be trusted...I doubt that we would see all the shit that we've been witnessing in this maddening world of ours. No...I think that we are quite alone in our human struggles. Of course...this doesn't mean that I would ever belittle the religious beliefs of someone else. I just wish that some people, in turn...wouldn't belittle mine.
Well, I certainly haven't done that to you....I believe we are all "spiritual beings" going through a human experience, versus we as human beings going through a spiritual experience....

We simply can't on our own energies, overcome everything that comes at us from all directions on a daily basis, as we're exhausted at the end of each day. We must tap into the "higher" energy that comes through meditation or prayer at the start of our day, to fully recharge. It's the only way we can be fully energized to take on the trials and obstacles of the this daily "human" life....

When this life is over and we've passed on to the other side, we'll all realize just how weak we truly were, the higher power was there all the time, we just failed to use it fully, an ego or pride thing I guess will be the reason....Kind of like a "V-8" moment.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #194
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Actually, Jesus said,"We got all you can eat fish - you want bread wit dat?"
Old 01-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #195
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waquoit View Post
I like how some wing-nut says "Liberals need to be hunted" and others agree; meanwhile a liberal calls crazy "stupid" and it's "hatred".

Liberal Americans are the real Americans. They are the one that fought the revolution and led the fight for anything good that Americans brag about.

Your screed on balance read like some you learned at Trump University. Balance isn't a magic concept, at a minimum it requires good faith from both parties. The GOP doesn't traffic in good faith. We saw that with Obamacare and everything Obama. The party of NO. This "Stop the Steal" is 100% bad faith and I just assumed everyone is playing along, not breaking "kayfabe". But folks actually believe it! How do you engage with insanity? Don't you Trumpers resent what he's done to you?

Dave, you are gonna be fine. The good guys are in charge now, the adults. Saying liberals want you to die is stupid.
Are you under the same bed as hcap, waiting out the virus in fear and isolation?

You need a life, my man. Soon
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: