Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #121
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
No doubt there is a different level (and type) of athleticism needed to excel at PGA golf than in the NBA, NFL, NHL, or MLB.

I think that every sport, at the world class level demands both a high degree of athleticism and finesse.

Even at positions within a sport.

It is pretty obvious that pure strength and weight are far more important to an offensive lineman than to a 2nd baseman. Even farther away from a golfer.

However, I also think that walking 18 holes multiple days per week is far different than riding in a cart. I wonder how many 45-year old golfers who ride in carts would find their game in the crapper if they had to walk the course.
Most 45 year olds already have their game in the crapper, cart or not.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #122
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
I hope he only plays once a day at the Ryder Cup. I want him fresh for next years majors.
I would hope so too, except that I want him fresh for Sunday's singles.

But please don't pair him up with Phil, that could be disastrous. I think Koepka and Finau would be good pairings, or maybe someone quiet and focused like Webby. But don't lose the Cup because of ratings and headlines. Do the right thing, Captain.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #123
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
But please don't pair him up with Phil, that could be disastrous. I think Koepka and Finau would be good pairings, or maybe someone quiet and focused like Webby. But don't lose the Cup because of ratings and headlines. Do the right thing, Captain.
It looked like yesterday that Tiger and Phil walked the course or did a practice round together. It will be hard for Furyk to keep them apart for the whole weekend.

I also think Fowler would be good choice to pair with Tiger. Apparently they are good friends and you get the youth and experience blend there. Phil has not been playing well, but maybe put him with DeChambeau who has been the hottest guy on tour the last couple of months and also has some swing unique qualities that might fit with some of Phil's imaginative shot choices.

Koepka and Dustin Johnson would be a fun twosome, bombs away to see who could out drive each other.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #124
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I'm not sure what to expect from Dechambeau. He can hit some bad shots and be hard on himself, and you don't have the many holes of medal play to get back the groove and make them up. But maybe he'll get into it and be a good partner with someone, and I guess the NCAA title is still match play, so he's got that going for him.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #125
letswastemoney

I almost thought Tiger was choking his lead away on the last few holes. Glad he proved me wrong.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #126
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
I'm not sure what to expect from Dechambeau. He can hit some bad shots and be hard on himself, and you don't have the many holes of medal play to get back the groove and make them up. But maybe he'll get into it and be a good partner with someone, and I guess the NCAA title is still match play, so he's got that going for him.
The US Amateur is also match play.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #127
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
It looked like yesterday that Tiger and Phil walked the course or did a practice round together. It will be hard for Furyk to keep them apart for the whole weekend.

I also think Fowler would be good choice to pair with Tiger. Apparently they are good friends and you get the youth and experience blend there. Phil has not been playing well, but maybe put him with DeChambeau who has been the hottest guy on tour the last couple of months and also has some swing unique qualities that might fit with some of Phil's imaginative shot choices.

Koepka and Dustin Johnson would be a fun twosome, bombs away to see who could out drive each other.
The hard part is pairing players in the foursomes (aka alternate shot). Since they have to play the same ball you want to be sure that each player is comfortable with the ball. And that is definitely a big deal.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #128
incoming

Live streaming of Ryder Cup at link:

https://www.rydercup.com/live/ryderc...tner_cbssports
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2018, 07:16 PM   #129
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
Live streaming of Ryder Cup at link:

https://www.rydercup.com/live/ryderc...tner_cbssports
What a colossal disaster the alternate shot session was. How do you play Mickelson in that one instead of the first session if you are going to play him? The whole American team looked like the C flight at a local muni tournament.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2018, 08:05 PM   #130
incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
What a colossal disaster the alternate shot session was. How do you play Mickelson in that one instead of the first session if you are going to play him? The whole American team looked like the C flight at a local muni tournament.
I don't have an edge in the Ryder Cup....I don't even know who is on the team.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #131
headhawg
crusty old guy

So how did Tiger play? <crickets>
Old 09-30-2018, 01:33 PM   #132
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
I don't have an edge in the Ryder Cup....I don't even know who is on the team.
I struggle with the rules. LOL
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2018, 05:07 PM   #133
lansdale

?

As I've mentioned before, TW fan but not fan of the sport, so not really following RC too closely and don't see it as really related to this thread. Talking with my brother, who is a golfer and TW fan, about this RC, and he made the point that Tiger and Phil have always been bad in RC -- U.S. has lost 7/8 with Tiger on the team. His personal RC win percentage is ca. 43% and Phil, 48%. And it seems this year, most of the U.S. team was pretty lame

As a non-golf fan though, one observation -- compared to most sports, and certainly compared with a similar single-player sport like tennis, golf is a relatively high-variance game -- the top players only win ca. 8-10% of the tournaments. So this should apply not only to individual, but also to team play, over a few rounds of golf as in RC.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2018, 06:15 PM   #134
incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
I struggle with the rules. LOL
Why fool with a once a year event that is totally different than the season. I wouldn't include Tiger's performance in any of my analysis, except for fitness.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:45 PM   #135
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
The doubters, the ill-wishers, the haters, ect. ect. will never give him any credit. You don't like a person for whatever reasons, so everything else he does is shit. The excuses you hear are flat-out ridiculous. "All the other players didn't try, he got lucky, whatever...whatever"... Oh wait, the crowd made him win.
Amazing in a sport where precision, technique, and endurance means everything, that people can actually be that stupid.
Personally for that reason in particular, I hope he wins the next two or three.
I'm really curious how for the ignorance stretches.
How's the Woods-man been doing lately? He lost that farce of an exhibition to a pretty washed-up Phil, and isn't he dead last in the Hero World Challenge?

And whoever gave me the negative reputation point and said I could share a wet blanket with another poster because of my Woods comments....would you like to retract it?

I guess the ignorance stretches all the way through Tiger fans.

<crickets>