Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 307 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #25981
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
That's not the issue. The issue is this: Is God morally obligated to dispense any mercy or grace to any sinner? This is the question!
The game plan for Christians is laid out with some clarity in the Bible, assuming you don't practice it like Bubba Clinton and get a free "reset" every Sunday. Turning the other cheek and forgiving others for their sins against us is what I would call a flavor of mercy.

Since man is created in God's image, ergo, one would conclude that God is also on the hook to dispense mercy and grace to all sinners, 'cept of course for blasphemers.

So, I would say the answer to that question is yes.

OTH, I can understand to a certain degree that man's ability to understand a truly Supreme Being is limited, so maybe He gets to play by a different rulebook.

Regardless, the conflict between good Christian morals and what we observe in the world is something that many of us never get past. And surely God realized that was going to result in incredible suffering for many, if not the vast majority, of humans.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #25982
Greyfox

Life itself is a miracle.

How simple building blocks of matter could combine to form living organisms is absolutely beyond the human mind's comprehension.

Essentially, everyone you meet, every flower you pass by, is a miracle.
Yes, there are scientific explanations, but they never capture the wonderment of how magnificent life is, each and every organism.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #25983
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I don't disagree with what you say here. But we still have to come up with some sort of definition for "Christianity"...if we are going to use this word in a religious context in our conversations here. And, when you define this word differently than every other "Christian" does...then, confusion ensues.
Well, I find boxcar's definition of Christianity almost barbaric. I cannot reconcile where his God has unconditional divine love and then damns you to hell for all eternity. That is polar opposites. Plus his God seems less mature than most mortals. So his definition is useless.

Most other Christians I hear, do not share his viewpoint and don't see Christ and God as "control freaks". "Do this or else". And "don't do this or else". The Bible was written at the time where Paganism was still the main religion. There needs to be an upgrade from that time to now. I believe much of what is written in the Bible especially the "do's" and "dont's" and the "angry God" was as a way of controlling the masses. Today, instilling "fear of God" is not necessary as it was back then. There seems to be progress being made on that front even within the Catholic church itself. Pope Francis is just one example.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #25984
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
Your post is a HUGE swing and miss, sport. Another opportunity wasted by you, as your "apologetic reservoir" must be all dried up, if you had one to begin with.....You're running out of time, once again, need I remind you. How long do you think a miracle works?.....You KNOW what I'm referring to.
God has revealed Himself to mankind in the person and work of Jesus Christ in HIS book we call the Holy Bible. And God did this fully understanding that the world would be filled with excuse-filled skeptics like yourself; but meanwhile that ancient book has served God's elect very well down through the centuries -- from Moses' day until now.

Oh yeah...one other thing: God will once again reveal himself to mankind in Jesus Christ on the Last Day of this age -- Judgment Day. On that day, all unbelievers will call for the rocks and mountains and hills to fall upon them to hide them from the magnificent glory of the Lamb of God and from his wrath.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #25985
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox

How simple building blocks of matter could combine to form living organisms is absolutely beyond the human mind's comprehension.

Yes, there are scientific explanations, but they never capture the wonderment of how magnificent life is, each and every organism.
Great point! In fact it brings to mind an email that was sent to me a while back. When I find some time later, I'll search that out, clean it up some and post it here. Its topic deals with the Seven Wonders of the World.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:36 PM   #25986
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
Light, you focus too much on one word....inner....and set up a false dualism so typical of religious thought and black/ white thinking in general...inner enlightenment and the kingdom of god within you are just as fuzzy and essentially meaningless because infinitely manifold terms as the indefinable word par excellence itself, god....
Kingdom of god within you? What? Is there a castle in this inner kingdom? A drawbridge? A moat? A prince and a princess, and a grand duke too?

Meaningless, absolutely meaningless term, kingdom of god...pure and utter fantasy....
The term "Kingdom" is not used anymore but was used a lot back then. Today the identical word with the same meaning would be "dimension". Because like you said, there is no "castle" with "prince and princess".

There is a hidden dimension within everyone with peace and love. (No it's not "fuzzy"). This is what Christ was talking about. It took me almost my entire life to find. I have only just begun to explore it.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #25987
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
God has revealed Himself to mankind in the person and work of Jesus Christ in HIS book we call the Holy Bible. And God did this fully understanding that the world would be filled with excuse-filled skeptics like yourself; but meanwhile that ancient book has served God's elect very well down through the centuries -- from Moses' day until now.

Oh yeah...one other thing: God will once again reveal himself to mankind in Jesus Christ on the Last Day of this age -- Judgment Day. On that day, all unbelievers will call for the rocks and mountains and hills to fall upon them to hide them from the magnificent glory of the Lamb of God and from his wrath.
I know this isn't news to anyone, but if you're calling ME an "excuse-filled skeptic", you've lost your mind......
Old 08-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #25988
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
Boxcar, do you feel any empathy or sympathy for this child?

Actor, I assume you feel sympathy for this child. Why?
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 08-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #25989
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:

You mean that book the the fathers of the Protestant Reformation questioned?

Lest we forget. boxcar said:

Quote:
The Book of James was at one time quite a controversial book -- even thought by some Reformers, initially, that it didn't belong in the canon. Some of the Reformers thought James contradicted key salvation verses, most especially dealing with the doctrine of Justification.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 08-24-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #25990
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire
Actor, I assume you feel sympathy for this child. Why?
Does this imply that feeling sympathy for this child is something that needs explaining?
Old 08-24-2016, 02:09 PM   #25991
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Does this imply that feeling sympathy for this child is something that needs explaining?
Yes. Particular to Actor's stated views.
George Washington
Old 08-24-2016, 02:09 PM   #25992
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox

Couldn't agree with you more.... In fact, the first miracle is that ANYTHING exists at all...and, by extension, all is miraculous, not just life alone....this rock, this star, this molecule of whatever, this space where nothing exists at all, miraculous....

But there's a problem....if all is miracle, then nothing is MORE miraculous than anything else....
Old 08-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #25993
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
If all is miracle, then nothing is MORE miraculous than anything else....
First potential spark of wisdom I've seen from you yet......
Old 08-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #25994
Greyfox

Quote:
But there's a problem....if all is miracle, then nothing is MORE miraculous than anything else....
Except some miracles are greater than others.
Life (Animate) > Inanimate in my mind.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:26 PM   #25995
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire
Yes. Particular to Actor's stated views.
You mean his ATHEISTIC views?
Closed Thread