Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-26-2023, 09:17 PM   #31
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
So what. I started watching the sport around the same time. I've watched tracks close, the handle and attendance drop over time. The sport is dying out west, the sport may be popular around the areas surrounding Kentucky and NY areas, but its a far cry from the heydays. Its about recognizing the sport has a problem and doing something about it rather than paying lip service. But I guess some folks are fine with whats going on and burying their head in the sand. Look young folks aren't getting into the game except maybe for the big days like the Kentucky Derby. When people of the older generation who grew up with the sport pass on and those younger generation don't care the sport is dying on a vine. You can't rely on friends and family to keep the game going.
They've been wringing their hands about trying to get "young people" into this game since as far back as the days of Ruffian (you remember her...she broke down too).

Horses breaking down isn't the reason why young people aren't attracted to racing in droves...try again.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:18 PM   #32
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
Do you think his former connections who made a ton of money off him give a shit what his condition is now?
Why do you assume Noble Indy's "condition" is in peril?
Old 08-26-2023, 09:22 PM   #33
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
They've been wringing their hands about trying to get "young people" into this game since as far back as the days of Ruffian (you remember her...she broke down too).

Horses breaking down isn't the reason why young people aren't attracted to racing in droves...try again.
My heart still feels the scar of the BC at Belmont...Go for Wand.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 09:26 PM   #34
Mulerider

Quote:
Because I consistently track horses that ship there from the mainland. It's such a fine, upstanding track that until last year it allowed U.S. horses to be sent there by boat, in shipping containers, because it was cheaper.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:40 PM   #35
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
I started getting into this game in 1986-1987.

Horses were breaking down back then.

Horses were breaking down in the 90s

Horses continued to break down after that, as they do today.

Game still here.

Horses will continue to break down both out in the field on a farm...and on the racetrack. Wherever horses run hard, there's always the chance that one of them is going to break down.

You're NEVER going to stop it...stop acting like this is something new.

The fact is, breakdowns have DECREASED substantially, according to the statistics, over the past 15 years.

Instead of celebrating that accomplishment, we have people on here acting like horses never broke down before.

it's surreal, actually

it's like this place has been invaded by a bunch of PETA folk who have no clue.
Society has changed in how it views animals. i see people with their dogs at the grocery store now, out at restaurants, etc. People left those animals outside in the 80s in dog houses.

Nobody cares today that horses broke down 2 generations ago, they just care what they see today.
The_Turf_Monster is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 10:10 PM   #36
formula_2002
what an easy game.

as a point of reference
https://equimanagement.com/news/2021...thoroughbreds/

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill
formula_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 10:33 PM   #37
formula_2002
what an easy game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
Society has changed in how it views animals. i see people with their dogs at the grocery store now, out at restaurants, etc. People left those animals outside in the 80s in dog houses.

Nobody cares today that horses broke down 2 generations ago, they just care what they see today.
"Nobody" wow that's some population

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill
formula_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 10:52 PM   #38
Hambletonian

Quote:
If Noble Indy is at Camarero, he is almost assuredly in peril. That is the last place you want a horse to end up if you are a fan.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 10:59 PM   #39
Hambletonian

Quote:

Game still here.

Horses will continue to break down both out in the field on a farm...and on the racetrack. Wherever horses run hard, there's always the chance that one of them is going to break down.

The fact is, breakdowns have DECREASED substantially, according to the statistics, over the past 15 years.

Instead of celebrating that accomplishment, we have people on here acting like horses never broke down before.

it's surreal, actually

Yeah and for the majority of recorded history, the average person had no idea how many horses were breaking down. Now they know about 10 seconds after it happens. And the truth is we are not talking about 4k claimers, we are tal king about the most highly prized horses in the country.

It is not so much that attitudes have changed, it is that now folks are aware...and there are probably more animal lovers than horse racing fans in the US. Since most race tracks today are making their money from other sources, you don't have to have that vivid an imagination to realize that racing at many tracks may be at risk.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 11:06 PM   #40
woodbinepmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
My heart still feels the scar of the BC at Belmont...Go for Wand.
That was the worse day ever, started with the Sprint and continued to be bad for rest of it.

Last edited by woodbinepmi; 08-26-2023 at 11:07 PM.
woodbinepmi is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 11:20 PM   #41
bisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
That was the worse day ever, started with the Sprint and continued to be bad for rest of it.
That’s why The Breeders Cup hasn’t been in New York for years… I’m sure what’s transpired this summer gives them comfort in returning it to New York. Maybe a few more segments on the Irad Ortiz family will help them feel more comfortable with their decision to return racing’s championship to New York. Just so you know… the day started with a horse dying training on the dirt course in the morning.
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 11:54 PM   #42
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket View Post
That’s why The Breeders Cup hasn’t been in New York for years…
Ummmm...no...that's not why...
Old 08-30-2023, 11:09 PM   #43
IamNewt

Quote:
Do you think Noble Indy sits in his stall at night smoking cigs and reminiscing on his former glory days?
My guess would be he's drinking heavily and wishing he wasn't gelded.
IamNewt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2023, 01:08 AM   #44
zerosky

Quote:

Game still here.

it's surreal, actually

From the Equine Industry Database (EID)
https://www.jockeyclub.com/default.a...vocacy&area=10

Attached Images
File Type: png EID.png (30.9 KB, 13 views)
zerosky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2023, 01:22 PM   #45
paulbenny

I am glad you posted this. My only question is that this is for the participating tracks but with big data clearly the trend is downward. I personally do not have pets and part of what is going on is a deeper situation with animals being treated exceedingly more like family. The family formation data is downward. Seven years ago I interviewed for a small animal serial acquirer of vet hospitals and there was a big need for vets, then it dipped, then it went through the roof after whatever happened with Covid etc. Now the dog is the answer for a lot of people. The will never (these anti horse racing people) look deeper into all data because like anything else the confirmation bias fix is in. Never admit to anything that you do not like.
paulbenny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply