Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #1
DerbyJackpot

Time Is Running Out in Horse Racing

First off let me say NBC has 4 hours to highlight horse racing. It royally failed with their broadcast. Also think it was the worst rating since 2009... Why? They'll blame it on the NBA Playoffs, but thats horseshit.

Years ago they highlighted the races before the derby. You have handicappers on, talking about conditions, the horses, etc. You had handicappers saying what they were going to bet,etc. I think there was only one person doing it this year.

Also why don't they highlight that horse racing is happening everyday. I was at the track in Henderson(Ellis). Most people think Churchill Downs runs the Derby and Oaks and that is it, and the Live Card at Ellis. They have no grasp that horse racing happens daily lol.

This years broadcast was spent of about 2.5 hours of cooking and fashion. You can find this shit on the Cooking Channel and E. People didn't tune into the NBC Broadcast to watch this shit.

Like why not try to grow an audience. You won't grow an audience with what they showed.

Also note if all tracks opened the doors to sports betting, horse racing will be on the rise again, because your enducing a new audience into the market. You'll have people betting sports, and while horse racing goes on would bet horses.... And with sports bettors open the doors up to new Jackpot Bets.
DerbyJackpot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 11:16 PM   #2
Rico8812

Same as it ever was man.
Rico8812 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 11:40 PM   #3
CincyHorseplayer

Derby is over. Now we can go back to the daily fun of playing this game. The big days are trumped up to the point they are anticlimactic. I won. But nothing special that any day can't bring. If the derby is the only time you can win enough to change your playing life then you aren't much of a player. The regular day awaits! It has as many opportunities!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
lamboguy

for those bored with horse racing

check out the Yankees and Red Sox this week starting tonight. these are probably the 2 best teams in baseball and they hate each other with a passion.

on the first round the Red Sox sent the Yankees home crying, since then the Yanks have caught their stride and want nothing more than to pay back the Red Sox for all their sins.

the pitching matchup in this series heavily favors the Yankees, but emotions will be running high.

enjoy this war starting tonight
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyJackpot View Post
. They have no grasp that horse racing happens daily lol.

This years broadcast was spent of about 2.5 hours of cooking and fashion. You can find this shit on the Cooking Channel and E. People didn't tune into the NBC Broadcast to watch this shit.

Like why not try to grow an audience. You won't grow an audience with what they showed.
The hardcore fans who post here are about 1% of the TV audience, since most are at a track or OTB on Derby Day anyway. The other 99% of the audience is looking for the exact stuff you are cursing out. It's reality, deal with it.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Yes, just accept mediocrity and be thankful they threw us a bone.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
jahura2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyJackpot View Post
First off let me say NBC has 4 hours to highlight horse racing. It royally failed with their broadcast. Also think it was the worst rating since 2009... Why? They'll blame it on the NBA Playoffs, but thats horseshit.

Years ago they highlighted the races before the derby. You have handicappers on, talking about conditions, the horses, etc. You had handicappers saying what they were going to bet,etc. I think there was only one person doing it this year.

Also why don't they highlight that horse racing is happening everyday. I was at the track in Henderson(Ellis). Most people think Churchill Downs runs the Derby and Oaks and that is it, and the Live Card at Ellis. They have no grasp that horse racing happens daily lol.

Also note if all tracks opened the doors to sports betting, horse racing will be on the rise again, because your enducing a new audience into the market. You'll have people betting sports, and while horse racing goes on would bet horses.... And with sports bettors open the doors up to new Jackpot Bets.

I'm actually getting kind of tired of all the gloom and doom. Racing definitely has its problems, coverage , CD greed, inept Todd Schrupp the list goes on.
However as it pertains to me and my entertainment and wagering I can live with the way things are.. I work at Keeneland during the meets and we have over 35K attendance on big days, Keeneland wont be going out of business any time soon. Nor will Saratoga, Belmont, Gulfstream (as bad as it was this year) and even Tampa Bay, these are my tracks of choice and as I see it they arent going to disappear any time soon. There is enough racing for me to keep me busy all year.
As far as growing the next generation of racing fans I feel a lot of that is up to me. I absolutely could care less about NBC and their Johnny and Tara coverage. At parties and get togethers I talk horse racing as much as basketball, football etc. if I add 5 new fans this year I am doing a better job than TVG and NBC in bringing in new blood. I consider it my job to advertise this sport I truly love, not some corporate a hole that only cares about profit.
I am well versed on the issues that players face and as such boycotted Keeneland and continue to boycott CD, but instead of losing sleep over it I find other favorable venues to play at.
I wish we could look at some positives every now and then, Justify, pharaoh, Monomoy girl, the legends of the past and racings great tradition and try to teach the novices why we love this sport and why they should too.
The knowledge on this board alone could breed a new generation of players, CJ, PA, Robert Fischer , Tom and the rest. Well maybe not EMD4ME,
Wishful thinking but better than just bitching.
Time to step off my soapbox.
jahura2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #8
davew

I guess you could say time is running out for the Olympics or the Super Bowl as well.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #9
cutchemist42

Yeah the whole presentation does suck. Would definitely say I like the Breeders Cup presentation more.

As well, they dont do it anymore but that Jockey Club Tour Fox did a few years back was much better in terms of actual handicapping discussion.

You dont really learn much from the Derby about how intricate the sport really is.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #10
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
Derby is over. Now we can go back to the daily fun of playing this game. The big days are trumped up to the point they are anticlimactic. I won. But nothing special that any day can't bring. If the derby is the only time you can win enough to change your playing life then you aren't much of a player. The regular day awaits! It has as many opportunities!
We call it "paying the Grade 1 tax."
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2018, 05:30 AM   #11
depalma113

The coverage brings in stupid people who put millions of dollars into the pools and daily players complain? I'll never understand this.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #12
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113 View Post
The coverage brings in stupid people who put millions of dollars into the pools and daily players complain? I'll never understand this.
I don't either.....if one can handicap with any sort of competence. They have an advantage on days like this. If one plays chalk and just goes by speed figs........well, join the suckers.

Plus, people don't get it. We are becoming the Unicorns that watch......its not geared towards you. I don't worry about the programming, the call or all the other bull shit that people complain about. I'm focused on winning. That window dressing crap they show.......is for the novice or twice a year people. If they stop watching........it won't be on a network anymore.

Last edited by burnsy; 05-11-2018 at 01:08 PM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 02:13 AM   #13
dav4463

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
check out the Yankees and Red Sox this week starting tonight. these are probably the 2 best teams in baseball and they hate each other with a passion.

on the first round the Red Sox sent the Yankees home crying, since then the Yanks have caught their stride and want nothing more than to pay back the Red Sox for all their sins.

the pitching matchup in this series heavily favors the Yankees, but emotions will be running high.

enjoy this war starting tonight

Those who are bored with racing are probably REALLY bored with baseball!

Those type of people I just can't understand!
Old 05-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #14
GaryG
Unreconstructed

SA Sunday card has 5 maiden claimers, 3 claimers (one for $6500) and one allowance race. Apparently those are the races that they can fill. There were two 2yo races scheduled for Friday, but the colts and fillies were combined due to lack of entries.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

And yet the Eintsteins that run SA want MORE summer races!

You can't fix stupid.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: