Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
whisperlunch

The Brooklyn Cowboy banned me. Was I wrong?

This Kevin Cox handicapper for mainly NYRA is awesome. I think he’s fantastic at handicaping. I’m being serious. I follow him on twitter and he’s pretty active on all topics even political opinions which is fine because I agree with him. However, he is also active in fundraising for what seems like many causes. It gets old but he’s so good at capping. Any way the tragic death of a top jockey last week Jose Flores at penn started him tweeting away for donations for a go fund me page. Also Paulick was promoting people to donate. I simply questioned why does a jockeys family who won 4500 races with 30,000 mounts and 60 million in purses won ,need money? I get that this is not a popular topic or is it popular to question a go fund me page but come on this just seems ridiculous to me that we need to donate money to everything. So I called him out and he got pissed and blocked me. Was I out of line?
What’s next a go fund me page for johnny v?
This topic will prolly get me banned here.

Anyway I apologize ahead of time
Let’s see if we can have a civil discussion on if what I did was so awful???
Old 03-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperlunch View Post
This Kevin Cox handicapper for mainly NYRA is awesome. I think he’s fantastic at handicaping. I’m being serious. I follow him on twitter and he’s pretty active on all topics even political opinions which is fine because I agree with him. However, he is also active in fundraising for what seems like many causes. It gets old but he’s so good at capping. Any way the tragic death of a top jockey last week Jose Flores at penn started him tweeting away for donations for a go fund me page. Also Paulick was promoting people to donate. I simply questioned why does a jockeys family who won 4500 races with 30,000 mounts and 60 million in purses won ,need money? I get that this is not a popular topic or is it popular to question a go fund me page but come on this just seems ridiculous to me that we need to donate money to everything. So I called him out and he got pissed and blocked me. Was I out of line?

My opinion, it is just best to stay out of stuff like that. If people want to donate, good for them. If you choose not to donate, nothing wrong with that either. But arguing about whether a guy that just died tragically left his family in need of donations is never going to be a good look.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
baconswitchfarm

Quote:

I couldn't agree more. In the circles I travel in , I have been ask many times lately to contribute to people who have just went through some difficulty. Many of these people are far better off financially than the people being asked to contribute. It seems the norm now.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
Andy Asaro

The donation thing can go too far. As far as B.C. I follow him and think he's a good guy. He leans conservative politically which causes some not to like him although I think he's on the right side of many issues.

I donate to people first but I understand those that donate to aftercare and other causes. But, when it comes to aftercare I do sometimes retweet or like some aftercare causes. Additionally I have been for an ADW keep the change option distributed equally between backstretch workers, permanently disabled jockeys and aftercare.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
I simply questioned why does a jockeys family who won 4500 races with 30,000 mounts and 60 million in purses won ,need money?
Who's to say what financial condition the family is in? OK, so he won $60,000,000 in purses. What's he get? 10%? Maybe more in some cases? How much does he have to pay his agent?

Over how many years was he riding? A whole lot, right?

You start breaking it down like that...and maybe it's not as much money as you thought.

Plus people who have made way more than that haven't exactly been financial geniuses. Look at Mike Tyson. Not saying this family is broke, but just saying, you have no idea whether or not they actually NEED the money.

I would have erred on the side of keeping my mouth shut, especially given the circumstances.

It's his twitter account...he can block anyone he chooses...
Old 03-27-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

You are worried about what you did but question a family who just lost their Father as their financial status?

We are past civil.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #7
Racetrack Playa
regular user

Cowboy got this one right, a man just died.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
Mulerider

I could be wrong, but I don't think Cox was fundraising directly for Mr. Flores's family. From what I saw on Twitter, he was suggesting that people donate to the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund in memory of Mr. Flores.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

ultimately it's his forum , his rules

this charity bs has gotten out of hand, and ingrained in our culture.

it's reached the point that there is social pressure against questioning or objecting to solicitation. It's politically incorrect to call bs. It's an exploitation of our social contract as society. Lot's of non-profit businessmen who don't have to worry about meeting their basic needs or wait for needed health care while their credit gets obliterated, not to mention hard work.

there is a place and a market for solicitation, and it is socially accepted, probably go so far as to say socially protected. It's here to stay.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:27 PM   #10
whisperlunch

I appreciate the replies. I was was out of line to criticize him. I’ve felt bad afterwards. I definitely made him mad.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:38 PM   #11
jay68802

Some times it is just better not to say a word. Like the night I got home late, after drinking, the wife was on the front porch with her hands on her hips and a unpleasant look on her face. I shut up, nodded my head, and never said another word about that night.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:52 PM   #12
PointGiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
My opinion, it is just best to stay out of stuff like that. If people want to donate, good for them. If you choose not to donate, nothing wrong with that either. But arguing about whether a guy that just died tragically left his family in need of donations is never going to be a good look.
This.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:59 PM   #13
thaskalos

Quote:
This says it all...without me needing to add a thing.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:19 AM   #14
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I appreciate the replies. I was was out of line to criticize him. I’ve felt bad afterwards. I definitely made him mad.
Nice.

A guy who admits when he is wrong.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #15
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Agreed, well said.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: