Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #91
theotherside

Chad Brown after the Derby

“I had a horse today that was good enough to win several Derbies. Just not this one,” Brown said. “I thought at the eighth pole that Justify might come back to us, given the fractions and the fact he was doing a lot of the heavy lifting up front. But that horse had another gear and found more. He was a deserving winner. He’s a super horse.”
theotherside is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #92
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherside View Post
“I had a horse today that was good enough to win several Derbies. Just not this one,” Brown said. “I thought at the eighth pole that Justify might come back to us, given the fractions and the fact he was doing a lot of the heavy lifting up front. But that horse had another gear and found more. He was a deserving winner. He’s a super horse.”
Chad Brown drinking the Kool Aid lol
LoneF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #93
theotherside

Bipolar

Have you considered your argumentative,combative,non cohesive banter as a Bipolar condition?
theotherside is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #94
GMB@BP

Listening to some of the Mendelssohn handicappers in hind sight....kind of funny.

I dont blame them for the pick, and they are right saying this race didnt tell us alot.

But how could anyone be surprised that a EU horse with a EU rider had issues coming out of the gate?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 09:33 PM   #95
lured

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Listening to some of the Mendelssohn handicappers in hind sight....kind of funny.

I dont blame them for the pick, and they are right saying this race didnt tell us alot.

But how could anyone be surprised that a EU horse with a EU rider had issues coming out of the gate?
Did Mendelssohn have other issues besides Magnum Moon crashing into him and sweeping him about 10 feet toward the rail? I seriously don't know. But if you are referring to what MM did, then I think you chalk that up to bad luck of post position and gate neighbors rather than being EU.
lured is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #96
LoneF
Veteran

Justify 6th slowest SA derby in last 70 years.

Justify 2nd slowest KY derby in last 70 years.

I guess he is on pace to run the slowest Preakness ever.

Super horse .... You betcha !!!
LoneF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #97
luisbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneF View Post
I got great hearing ...

He said “ I can’t believe it was this easy” It shouldn’t be this easy “

Now let me translate ...

“ I can’t believe the racing gods gifted me with another dream race set up and to top it off not one other horse showed up. “
Those were words of the outrider, Mike asked him "for how much did I win?"
and the guy: "I think 3 or 4 lenghts"
luisbe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 10:08 PM   #98
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post
There was no "hype" in the case of Mendelssohn other than what you fabricated on your own.

It wasn't "hype" that created the barn's 1-for-55 lifetime record in American graded stakes on dirt, and that reality was etched in stone long before Mendelssohn was a boil on his grandfather's ass.

You lost your money on someone who is near to an inept fool in American dirt racing as perhaps one of the finest trainers on dirt picked their pockets yet again.

It is akin to backing your favorite celebrity/actress on Dancing with the Stars just because they are your favorite in some other walk of life.

The walk-over for the Kentucky Derby is no place for inept fools.

With regard to the wagering windows there... inept fools line-up in droves to give their money away.
Pay offs: $2.00 Exacta (7-6) Paid: $69.60 , $.50 Trifecta (7-6-5) Paid: $70.70

nothing like a $70 tri in a 20 horse field. I've hit bigger tri's in 5 horse fields
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 10:17 PM   #99
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachv30 View Post
A SLOPPY track makes it difficult for any deep closer to prevail..A horse like Vino Rosso for instance did not stand a chance on that track coming from the back. Other than Good Magic who had the rail trip down the stretch, NOBODY really gained any ground. I don't necessarily believe it was the lack of ability in this year's field but moe the track condition.
agree
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #100
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
No, LoneF, it did not. But, in horseracing like all of life, "the best laid plans of mice and men, etc, etc."

I bet two horses to win the Derby. Good Magic and Mendelssohn. I included these two with others in an exacta box, posting my choices here. Something I rarely bother with.

Still, I believe Mendelssohn is a very talented colt and I couldn't have more respect for a trainer than I have for Aiden O'Brien. To hear this man speak in interviews about his horses and their races is to listen to honesty, reverence, and grace.

When we can stand up and humbly proclaim a learning experience, we cannot possibly be seen as losing. Not in any way.

https://www.racinguk.com/news/ten-th...kentucky-derby
Thank you for posting that informative article. Mendelssohn was also my choice in the Derby. When I posted that his chances were over when he was banged into at the start and that he was eased when Moore realized he had no chance, I was mocked by a few here. Yet, that is precisely what O’Brien said in that article. Anyway, Itake solace in the fact that, despite all that, I only missed winning the exacta and the trifecta by 73 lengths.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:54 PM   #101
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
... Anyway, Itake solace in the fact that, despite all that, I only missed winning the exacta and the trifecta by 73 lengths.
I'll be damned. Mostie made me laugh.
Parkview_Pirate is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 11:03 PM   #102
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I never stated that he or any other horse was the "Best Ever"! I haven't seen them all run, so, I would never make such a proclamation. He is without a doubt one Incredible Horse however.
Since Saturday was the 144th running of the Derby, when you state we may not see a horse like Justify for the next 150 years, that implies "best ever", at least by my logic.

Dial up 1941 on the Derby Machine and then tell us how Justify would have spanked Whirlaway.

So far, Justify has done nothing wrong, he's done plenty to substantiate he's a solid, good horse with potential for more. But "Incredible Horse"? Ummm, not quite yet.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:04 PM   #103
1GCFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Thank you for posting that informative article. Mendelssohn was also my choice in the Derby. When I posted that his chances were over when he was banged into at the start and that he was eased when Moore realized he had no chance, I was mocked by a few here. Yet, that is precisely what O’Brien said in that article. Anyway, Itake solace in the fact that, despite all that, I only missed winning the exacta and the trifecta by 73 lengths.
Wow, Mr. O.Brien is just now learning about American dirt races compared to the start and relax Euros. Now after 50+ races he is going to change his blueprint. It's not that hard! As most have have said, "ship early, enter at least one prep, use a top US rider and stay here until after the derby"!

His owners have all the money in the world and and Mr. O'Brien prefers to ship in a few days before the race. Success in the classic American turf races doesn't equal success in the American Triple Crown.
1GCFAN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 11:08 PM   #104
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The way tracks play today you aren't going to see many track records at all unless it is a rarely run distance or a new track just establishing records. They are slower due to safety concerns. It has even spread to SoCal.
Fair enough. Good point. I guess I could add that "eye-catching moves" give me a thrill, sort of like Arazi in the BC Juvenile, Easy Goer's Gotham and Belmont, and Very Subtle in the BC Sprint. Top performances, in both speed and visually, in top races get the blood going.

If Justify stays healthy, we'll get a better read on how good he really is.

If Justify gets hurts and retires, "the body of work" as the ESPN talking heads would say, is gonna make him easier to forget (unless you had the super).
Old 05-07-2018, 11:15 PM   #105
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneF View Post
Justify 6th slowest SA derby in last 70 years.

Justify 2nd slowest KY derby in last 70 years.

I guess he is on pace to run the slowest Preakness ever.

Super horse .... You betcha !!!
A couple of old sayings apply here:

"It's not how fast they run, it's how they run fast." (??)

"Time only counts when you're in jail." (Carl Nafgzer)