Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:51 PM   #1171
woodtoo

CDC reports 4,226 cases in US.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:52 PM   #1172
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

John Hopkins Interactive Map

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Select the US and then individual states.

Last edited by PICSIX; 03-17-2020 at 03:54 PM.
PICSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #1173
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Results for March 17, 2020

COVID-19: U.S. at a Glance

Total cases: 4,226

Total deaths: 75

Jurisdictions reporting cases: 53 (49 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and US Virgin Islands)
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #1174
jk3521
Registered Loser

We can't keep score of ball games. This will have to do.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #1175
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Jeff Bezos is one of the world’s richest people. But employees at Whole Foods – which Bezos owns – got some grim news late last week. The Whole Foods CEO suggested employees could donate their paid time off (PTO) to their sick coworkers. In other words, the company refuses to cover paid medical leave for employees who catch the coronavirus.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...-wants-workers
Amazon is looking to hire 100K people for their distribution centers. They will start at a $2 premium over their minimum $15.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #1176
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

Latest US counts as of 4:13 EST

Attached Images
File Type: png US.PNG (244.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-17-2020, 05:20 PM   #1177
FantasticDan
gelding

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 05:51 PM   #1178
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
We worked it out, my front of the house guys will be better off on unemployment. I have too many to rotate. My to-go business is a very small portion of my revenue. I’m hoping my employees will come back .......two years ago I closed for a six week remodel and farmed many of my guys out to other like franchises and only 1 didn’t come back.

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/ho...9RPG4cfAZIIFqA
I am pulling for you JR, there are few that I hold in higher esteem than the hard working Americans who provide jobs to other Americans. Good form and may extra energy be with you.
fast4522 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #1179
FantasticDan
gelding

The grift must go on

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 06:33 PM   #1180
thaskalos

What provisions has the government in store for the business owners whose places have been ordered shut down? I see that the business owners are paying their "vacationing" workers during this crisis...but is this mandated by the government...or is it left to the "conscience" of business owners?
Old 03-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #1181
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
This article explains the latest thinking behind the coronavirus strategies implemented over the past few days in the U.S. and U.K. --

MSN News | William Booth | 03-17-2020
A chilling scientific paper helped upend U.S. and U.K. coronavirus strategies:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...es/ar-BB11jVNP

Quote:
LONDON —Immediately after Boris Johnson completed his Monday evening news conference, which saw a somber prime minister encourage his fellow citizens to avoid "all nonessential contact with others," his aides hustled reporters into a second, off-camera briefing.

That session presented jaw-dropping numbers from some of Britain’s top modelers of infectious disease, who predicted the deadly course of coronavirus could quickly kill hundreds of thousands in both the United Kingdom and the United States, as surges of sick and dying patients overwhelmed hospitals and critical care units.

The new forecasts, by Neil Ferguson and his colleagues at the Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team, were quickly embraced by Johnson’s government to design new and more-extreme measures to suppress the spread of the virus.

The report is also influencing planning by the Trump administration. Deborah Birx, who serves as the coordinator of the White House coronavirus task force, cited the British analysis at a news conference Monday, saying her task force was especially focused on the report’s conclusion that an entire household should self-quarantine for 14 days if one of its members is stricken by the virus.

The Imperial College group reported that if nothing was done by governments and individuals and the pandemic remained uncontrolled, then 510,000 would die in Britain and 2.2 million in the United States over the course of the outbreak.

These kinds of numbers are deeply concerning for countries with top-drawer health-care systems. They are terrifying for less-developed countries, global health experts say.

If Britain and the United States pursued much more ambitious measures to mitigate the spread of coronavirus, to slow but not necessarily stop epidemic over the coming few months, they could reduce mortality by half, to 260,000 people in the United Kingdom and 1.1 million in the United States.

Finally, if the British government quickly went all-out to suppress viral spread — aiming to reverse epidemic growth and reduce the case load to a low level — then the number of dead in the country could drop to below 20,000. To do this, the researchers said, Britain would have to enforce social distancing for the entire population, isolate all cases, demand household quarantines of households where anyone is sick, and close all schools and universities — and do this not for weeks but for 12 to 18 months, until a vaccine is available.
Link to the study cited in the above article:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf

After reading both, I at least understand the thinking behind what it is we are doing.

-jp

Old 03-17-2020, 07:04 PM   #1182
46zilzal
velocitician

Jeff.... nice to see someone believing in facts
Old 03-17-2020, 07:28 PM   #1183
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
How could you watch that video and then post crap like this right after it? You...are...sick in the head...man!!

PS: And, if you didn't watch the video, I dare you to do so, now. If you are normal, you'll be ashamed of yourself!!
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #1184
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
What provisions has the government in store for the business owners whose places have been ordered shut down? I see that the business owners are paying their "vacationing" workers during this crisis...but is this mandated by the government...or is it left to the "conscience" of business owners?
well, a bit of both. you can have a good conscience and run out of money at the same time.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #1185
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The above article confuses me. First it says that the HIV drug has "been effective in a smattering of cases"...and then it says that the "the first wave of Chinese patients did very, very well when treated with the drug". Is a "wave of patients" the same as a 'smattering'?
Thaskalos, my apologies for the late reply.

My answer to your question from post #1126 back on page 76 would be along the following lines:

I think the Australian doctor is being accurate when he describes the number of patients he saw and actually treated with the anti-viral drugs as "a smattering."

As in not a great many considering the number of patients doctors in China and Italy have seen.

But "the smattering" that he did see and treat with the anti-viral drugs did much better than patients all over the world not treated with the anti-viral drugs.

I don't think the Australian doctor's use of the word "wave" was intended to convey a great number of patients - but rather to convey the timeline of the patients he saw.

I'm guessing the "first wave of Chinese patients" were likely travelers from China who sought treatment while visiting Australia. And the next "wave" were likely locals infected through community spread.

But all of that is purely a guess on my part.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 03-17-2020 at 07:37 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply