Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #151
thaskalos

There has to be some consideration for the bettors in cases such as these...

Last edited by thaskalos; 11-10-2010 at 02:33 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #152
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
Although on a smaller scale this reminds me of the track vets giving a very cursory look at Barbaro after he broke through the gate. Late scratches in these big events cost the track mucho $$$$$$ !!
Better they lose the money than me.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #153
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
Although on a smaller scale this reminds me of the track vets giving a very cursory look at Barbaro after he broke through the gate. Late scratches in these big events cost the track mucho $$$$$$ !!
I beleive to this day that if Barbaro had been scratched, he'd still be with us...I cannot recall seeing him examined behind the gate that day...it all happened way too fast...they took him back there, then loaded him...like wham, bam, thank you m'am...he should have been closley checked...he wasn't

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #154
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
There's a difference between keeping a horse moving and running them in a race. Colics are kept walking too but I wouldn't run one wih colic.

Horses tying up need heavy fluids and some walking. Running 9f is generally not prescribed.
The ty-ups actually need more than that, but the bottom line here, with Life at Ten, is she shouldn't have made it out of the paddock, much less galloped around the track...no one knew what was going on with her...for cryin' out loud, for all 'they' knew she could have been having a heart attack, or some kind of system shut down...wouldn't it have been wonderful if she'd died on the track ...I said it before, I'll say it again...shame on Pletcher for allowing her to get on the track, and shame on Johnny V for not getting off her behind the gate.
IMO, they are damned lucky it didn't get worse

Gandalf the Grey
Old 11-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #155
Greyfox

"Phantom Inspections?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
I beleive to this day that if Barbaro had been scratched, he'd still be with us...I cannot recall seeing him examined behind the gate that day...it all happened way too fast...they took him back there, then loaded him...like wham, bam, thank you m'am...he should have been closley checked...he wasn't
Agreed. Barbaro's inspection reminded me of the phantom punch thrown by Cassius Clay in his first fight with Sonny Liston. Nobody saw it.

Yet after Barbaro broke down, Dr. Larry Bramlage, the track vet, dismissed any suggestions that the gate breakthrough could have caused the injury.
In Late at Ten's instance, I saw no evidence of any vet examining this horse that appeared to be in a trancelike state.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #156
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Agreed. Barbaro's inspection reminded me of the phantom punch thrown by Cassius Clay in his first fight with Sonny Liston. Nobody saw it.

Yet after Barbaro broke down, Dr. Larry Bramlage, the track vet, dismissed any suggestions that the gate breakthrough could have caused the injury.
In Late at Ten's instance, I saw no evidence of any vet examining this horse that appeared to be in a trancelike state.
UGH...I remember that fight

I have always thought that Barbaro sustained his injury when he broke through the gate...if he had run part of the race, then I'd have doubts, but since it happened several jumps out of the gate...I think the conclusion is easily drawn...he shoulda been scratched. Sometimes the pressure to run gets in the way of the welfare of a horse...and that goes back to Ruffian's match Race...never should have happened, but the pressure was so great, they felt they had to...
I played the Distaff Classic again, and I still do not se any vet back there checking her...I assume he was there, was watching her, but never actually had a hands on exam done...which is why Johnny V should have dis mounted...

Gandalf the Grey
Old 11-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #157
andymays
Veteran

LIFE AT TEN: Kentucky Stewards to Take No Action

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/li...ake-no-action/
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #158
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
LIFE AT TEN: Kentucky Stewards to Take No Action

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/li...ake-no-action/
Un-be-lievable

I mentioned in one of my posts about this, that at the very least, they should have taken her temperature in the paddock...not wait until afterwards, as mentioned in the article.
That no action is taken on this matter...well, that is criminal, IMO...the entire things is so much BS

Gandalf the Grey
Old 11-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #159
DJofSD
Screw PC

This situation has reminded me of another similar occurance. It involved a mare whose name slips my mind at the moment. It was here in southern California. The problem was a day or two before he race, the owner more or less spilled the beans that the horse was not 100%. And the it ran way up the track after being sent off as the odds on favorite.

What was the name of that horse?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #160
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
UGH...I remember that fight

I have always thought that Barbaro sustained his injury when he broke through the gate...if he had run part of the race, then I'd have doubts, but since it happened several jumps out of the gate...I think the conclusion is easily drawn...he shoulda been scratched. Sometimes the pressure to run gets in the way of the welfare of a horse...and that goes back to Ruffian's match Race...never should have happened, but the pressure was so great, they felt they had to...
I played the Distaff Classic again, and I still do not se any vet back there checking her...I assume he was there, was watching her, but never actually had a hands on exam done...which is why Johnny V should have dis mounted...
Nobody knows when Barbaro hurt himself. Conjecture that it happened when he broke through the gate is just that...conjecture..speculation...in other words, not worth much.

He could have easily injured himself during that early part of the race. He was in full gallop at the time...we all know how fragile these animals are...there is no reason why he couldn't have taken that all-too familiar "bad step" mere seconds out of the gate, and that's where all the damage happened.

Look at Eight Belles...she broke BOTH of her legs in the GALLOP OUT...anything can happen...any time...any place.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #161
RXB

I've seen a zillion horses break through the gate, and never noticed any tendency among them to bust their legs at an unusual rate. (They rarely win, though.)

Seattle Slew broke through the gate before his famous Jockey Club Gold Cup.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #162
ArlJim78

Based on my own observations, breakdowns like Barbaro's occurring in the opening quarter mile are exceedingly rare.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #163
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Nobody knows when Barbaro hurt himself. Conjecture that it happened when he broke through the gate is just that...conjecture..speculation...in other words, not worth much.

He could have easily injured himself during that early part of the race. He was in full gallop at the time...we all know how fragile these animals are...there is no reason why he couldn't have taken that all-too familiar "bad step" mere seconds out of the gate, and that's where all the damage happened.

Look at Eight Belles...she broke BOTH of her legs in the GALLOP OUT...anything can happen...any time...any place.
Don't need to tell me anything can happen anytime...that's a no brainer!!

Right...no one knows where Barbaro's injury occured...in the gate, or on the track...so, I guess we are both entitled to our opinion on the subject. My opinion is that it sure could have been in the gate.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 11-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #164
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Based on my own observations, breakdowns like Barbaro's occurring in the opening quarter mile are exceedingly rare.
Exceedingly rare is an understatement...they are practically unheard of!
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #165
Jackal

Track vets are pressured not to scratch horses. Scratching a horse delays a race, causing all the track employees to get home late.

The health of the horse and the integrity of the wagering process should be more important than everyone getting home on time or the track paying a little overtiime.

In my opinion Life at Ten was tied up. When a horse ties up the muscle contractions aren't an instant danger to the horse/jockey but the people who have bet on the horse have lost their money before the gates open.