Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #76
Wingtips

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterTriangle
I am saddened, too, based on an email I recieved this morning from a horsewoman friend. I am not on any mailing list for OTTB rescue or anything, this was just an isolated case.

I opened the mail to see photos of a beautiful 6 year old racehorse, stabled at a track that's not a bush track. It's one of the premier tracks in the US. The horse has thrombophlebitis or corded veins.

Due to too many intravenous injections, his jugular veins have collapsed.

(These are not critical to horses as in humans, but they are crucial for being a race horse, to receive injections. This horse can be orally medicated only.) Sometimes it corrects itself, but not if any injections are given.

If nobody rescued him, he was probably euthanized yesterday.

If you saw the photos, he is a magnificent stallion.

IMHO, forget fines and suspensions. Shooting horses up with drugs so they can race should be illegal, plain and simple. If a horse can't be a racehorse without drugs, then he needs not be on the track at all.

Can you share the names of the owner and trainer? I would like to know who would allow the killing of their horse because he was not taken off their hands within their time frame.
Wingtips is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #77
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
Can anyone give me an update on the Ziadie situation? Is he still suspended/when will he be back? I'm sure it is out there somewhere but between life and family, I haven't found it. Thanks.
Ziadie was ruled off at Calder in late August. Last that I have heard.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #78
Space Monkey
Veteran

I would like to know too. I have connections with some wonderful people who could possibly rescue this horse. Location please.
Space Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #79
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisbred
I think this is the best way to uncover likely cheaters on your circuit.We have a couple in Illinois that consistently move-up horses huge after a claim or private acquisation.Of course they always say they have better people,a keener eye for horseflesh,50 different bits to try which the smaller guy doesn't have, better vets,or they themselves get on them in the morning workouts.I'll give them better vets,probably better drugs too!
Much of what you say in your post is very true,Horses can be moved up in other barns and it isnt from drugs...Changing a horses training and feed and also his care can make them better..ALSO when you can get on them yourself makes for more controlled training.Excersise riders in the morn gallop the crap out of them so they walk home quietly..I see horses everyday being ripped around the track..Its just a job to these most of these guys with no future.The sad thing is,Lots of the people that work with the horses have never had to put a penny of their own money into the game,Just a paycheck to them....Large outfits are factory's,They all train the same..What makes it races what doesnt are either retired or sold..Gone is the old time horsetraining that allows each and every horse a fair shot..Ill bet you dont have any idea at how many horse dont make it because of uncontrolled training.
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2009, 01:30 AM   #80
WinterTriangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingtips
Can you share the names of the owner and trainer? I would like to know who would allow the killing of their horse because he was not taken off their hands within their time frame.
Wingtips, I don't have that information.

Understand, most of these well known TB rescue/retirement orgs are not anti-racing, they are not PETA types, and therefore, their focus and goal is not to cast aspersions on trainers or owners, or the racing industry. Obviously, that would be to their detriment, because they spend time backside trying to HELP.

I'm sure there are always unique circumstances surrounding a horse who is 'surrendered'.

My point in posting was to bring attention to the fact that repeated drug injections can have life-changing affects on these lovely animals. Not good ones.

I received word the horse was taken in by Final Furlong retirement.
This is a wonderful organization run by experienced TB Horsemen and Horsewomen who take horses at the end of their career and either retrain them or house them as necessary. They work on donations only so if you were moved enough to care or inquire about this horse, PLEASE send a donation in his behalf. They are located in Ocala, I'm sure they have a website.
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2009, 01:52 AM   #81
WinterTriangle

I did find the website for Final Furlong. They rescue horses, give them vet care, and then they are matched with new owners for other activities, companion horses or retired.......and the adopting individual gets them free of charge. Sounds like a good deal for everyone.

WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply