Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
alhattab

Graded Race Overlap

We're in prime "graded race overlap" season. The feature over the past week is the UN/Man O'War- two G1 races for a bunch of questionable-G1 horses at the same distance, within 7 days, 60 miles and $250k in purse value. In 3 weeks we will be treated to the annual "maybe the Haskell, maybe the WVA Derby, maybe the Jim Dandy" dance in which many trainers engage. There are other examples.

Without a National body directing the game, I believe the only way to manage this is via the Graded Stakes Committee. What if there was a provision suggesting something like "no race run within 'x (say 500)' miles and 2 weeks of a race with a purse value difference of $250,000 or less, under similar conditions, as to be judged by the Committee, will be afforded Graded status. In the event such circumstances exist today the Committee will afford graded status based on its judgment of the historical significance and current importance of said races."

The intent would be to attempt to force the tracks to negotiate to protect their graded races. Front of mine for me, given a Monmouth focus, would be to protect the Haskell from the relatively newly lucrative WVA Derby. The point is not to screw he less-established tracks/races, but to force negotiation. For example, it always seemed reasonable to me for NJ to negotiate with Mtr to drop the Pegasus in return for Mtr moving the WVA Derby to end of September, which would be a much more logical time and provide 4-5 weeks between the PA Derby/Travers. I'm sure there are a few other examples of where a prestigious race has been marginalized by an up-and-comer. The Del Oaks/Mother Goose and Del 'Cap/Go For Wand immediately come to mind.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: