Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #16
NoCal Boy

Not only are overall handles down, but there has been an increasingly greater shift to ADW wagering in 2009 which is actually up over 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
Watcher, offtrack/otb/online are 89% of handle. I think that was what the report said last year but I could be mistaken and cant find the link right now.

Valuist,

I guess the question is, with $1B in slots revenue in PA alone, do they even care they have 32% exotic takes?

the scary thing is if you show them that dropping slots takeout from 7% to 5% would raise revenues and profits they would do it in a heartbeat. if you show them that dropping their takes to 15% would raise revenues and profits for racing they will call you names and say that they will go broke and you are a whiny bettor who knows nothing about "putting on the show".
NoCal Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #17
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
Downsize for the millionth time already!

Too little handle for too many tracks!

10% across the board take brings back most of the offshore money! A one weekend experiment would be nice to try. What's the downside of trying?

When TVG signs a contract with a track like Woodbine that has a ridiculous take on tri's then you know they don't get it and are moving in the other direction. What direction is that? The down the drain direction!
I read a survey/report that said lowering takeout would help but only to a certain point. they said a total takeout average lowering to 17% would spur higher handle yet stil have take enough to make a profit, any lower, it wouldnt make up the difference in lowered takeout. I"ll see if i can figure out how to scan it and post it. it was interesting
Old 07-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #18
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
I read a survey/report that said lowering takeout would help but only to a certain point. they said a total takeout average lowering to 17% would spur higher handle yet stil have take enough to make a profit, any lower, it wouldnt make up the difference in lowered takeout. I"ll see if i can figure out how to scan it and post it. it was interesting

I'm sure what I laid out isn't the cure all but it would be a step in the right direction and it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Betting on Horses right now is not a good bet compared to other types of wagers like sports betting. Until the general public perceives it as a good bet then it will continue to suffer. Years ago the general public wasn't as informed as it is now and didn't know or care what takeout was.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #19
Valuist

Other than lowering takeout, I don't see any other options. The industry is already a bailout beneficiary; via the slots. At what point do the slots interests say, enough is enough and we're tired of subsidizing you? Marketing campaigns aren't the answer. And about half the tracks operating in North America need to go away.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #20
Imriledup

Racing industry will blame the economy( they are great at handing out blame to other people and things) , but they should really try blaming themselves and work to fix what's broken.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #21
dutchboy
Veteran

http://racing.scmp.com/freeservice/n...s20090702f.asp
dutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #22
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCal Boy
Not only are overall handles down, but there has been an increasingly greater shift to ADW wagering in 2009 which is actually up over 2008.
I missed the link to support your assertion. Can you provide it again?
Old 07-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #23
Imriledup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchboy

I guess the economy over there isn't as bad as what we have in the US.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #24
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

We're beyond the point where simple "it's the economy" or "it's the takeout" responses will explain the decline. Try, "IT'S THE PRODUCT, STUPID." Then you have something.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #25
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchboy
nice article, thanks for the link. it further reinforces what i truly think about the game in the united states. we have to many dopes at the top!!
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #26
dutchboy
Veteran

If you click on the link on the right side of the page you will see their racing schedule. They only have two tracks and only race twice a week. One runs during the day and one runs at night.

Phone and internet wagering is huge part of their business as you may know and the government in that area seems to be interested in growing the biz.
dutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply