Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #16
lilmegahertz

I watch just to see what off the wall comment Frank Lyons will make next....I swear he looks drunk half the time he is on air
lilmegahertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #17
richrosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmegahertz
I watch just to see what off the wall comment Frank Lyons will make next....I swear he looks drunk half the time he is on air
The only time I was in a bar with Rudolf, Schrupp, Amoss, and Lyons, it was Frank Lyons who was the only one not drinking.
richrosa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #18
lilmegahertz

really... I still find his comments funny....he has the better humor than most on tvg...

Last edited by lilmegahertz; 11-10-2007 at 05:18 PM. Reason: more to say
lilmegahertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #19
Doc

I personally think :58 Flat is the only show worth watching on TVG. I enjoy Matt immensely and he does pick more than his fair share of winners. The only other show that's a must-see for me is "The Works."
Old 11-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #20
boomman

Thumbs up Matt Carruthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrosa
At least Matt's a gambler by nature and talks about gambling.

BTW, for all you guys that hate him, I watched him talk to the fans in the rain at BC this year every moment that he was not on TV. It stuck me as a very fan friendly gesture.
AGREED!!!!

I never have time to watch this show so I can't comment on it, but for all you Matt "haters" on here, I can tell you that he is actually a great ambassador for the game, stops to talk with everyone, and is a solid handicapper and bettor. When I saw him at the Horseplayer World Series last year in Las Vegas, he went out of his way to stop and talk with anyone that approached him, and I had a great conversation with him on his take and handicapping of an upcoming race as well............

Boomer
Old 11-10-2007, 11:05 PM   #21
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Geez, we got a homeless guy hangs outside Finger Lakes - same MO.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:39 AM   #22
BombsAway Bob
DimeSupers Really Are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Geez, we got a homeless guy hangs outside Finger Lakes - same MO.
Tom, don't pick on my uncle..
BombsAway Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2007, 12:41 AM   #23
Kelso
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99
Maybe TVG could get the charming personality of Brad Thomas NJ's premier handicapper who has the personality of a clam. Did he have one winner picked between both breeders cup race days?
He doesn't present them as such, but I think Thomas' picks are oriented more toward value than the likelihood of finishing as selected. He seems to be saying "my first pick is the horse with the best risk/reward, my exacta value play is that horse over my second pick" ... and so on through tris and supers.

I don't think he's trying to pick winners and, if I'm correct, he would do well to make that more clear. I wondered throughout the 2006 season (my first) why this guy in the shades with the dry delivery was getting paid to pick horses. This year it dawned on me that he's really picking wagers.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #24
levinmpa

It's easy to sit behind the anonymity of a forum and pick TVG apart. I have added my dislikes about TVG in some other threads, but I do give them credit for at least attempting to shake things up. I occasionally watch 58 flat, but am pretty much indifferent to the show and the host. I'm of the thinking that we should appreciate the fact that we have access to 2 racing channels. If they went away, not only would we be stuck watching bad video on the internet, but we'd have no one to criticize. I just wish TVG would either stop the touting, or tout away, but keep score.
levinmpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #25
Light
Veteran

Matt is awkwardly entertaining.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #26
Grits

I'm of the thinking that we should appreciate the fact that we have access to 2 racing channels.

An excellent point.

Matt's not my deal, I can't hang. I feel I'm listening to an intense case of ADHD. I usually mute and unmute, according to my level of tolerance at the time. LOL

Still, this is not to say, he is not dedicated to the sport, and very hard working. I think he is. That, I believe, probably, is more beneficial to all of us.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #27
samyn on the green

Great post

It is great that we have two racing networks. The racing fan needs to be a little more thankful for what we have. Too many malcontents launching too many complaints. It many be a bit of ripped ticket venting from elderly grumps that drives all of this complaining. TVG while not perfect does a good job and they deserve some praise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by levinmpa
It's easy to sit behind the anonymity of a forum and pick TVG apart. I have added my dislikes about TVG in some other threads, but I do give them credit for at least attempting to shake things up. I occasionally watch 58 flat, but am pretty much indifferent to the show and the host. I'm of the thinking that we should appreciate the fact that we have access to 2 racing channels. If they went away, not only would we be stuck watching bad video on the internet, but we'd have no one to criticize. I just wish TVG would either stop the touting, or tout away, but keep score.
samyn on the green is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #28
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green
It is great that we have two racing networks. The racing fan needs to be a little more thankful for what we have. Too many malcontents launching too many complaints. It many be a bit of ripped ticket venting from elderly grumps that drives all of this complaining. TVG while not perfect does a good job and they deserve some praise.
Actually, the racing fan needs to speak up more demand better serives in all areas. You would be happy if MBC showed you every other inning of a baseball game and had some clown go into the stands and chase people around with an ice cream cone during the even innings?

We should not be thankful until we get what we want. Maybe you are happy with a bone or two thrown your way, but not me. Praise TVG? Ha! That is rich. Praise them for idiot-level progaming? Considering the possibilities they have, they do a rather amaturish job.

Last edited by Tom; 11-11-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2007, 04:20 PM   #29
richrosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green
Well said. When TVG is gone, they will be missed. HRTV has barely 1/4 the production values of TVG, and does absolutely NOTHING to promote the game in the same fashion that TVG has. Every idea that HRTV comes up with started on TVG at some point.

Granted I can accept that some people don't like some of the personalities. They take a lot of lumps here because this is the "sophisticated" racing crowd. TVG is trying to stay at a level that appeals to the most amount of viewers.

In a lot of ways it doesn't matter whether you love or hate Matt or Todd. They both know racing and try to present their point of view, sorta like we do here. I don't agree with everyone here, in fact I disagree with most (but that's my nature to disagree with the mainstream), I'm still here because the content interests me, even though it isn't perfect. I feel the same way about TVG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Actually, the racing fan needs to speak up more demand better serives in all areas. You would be happy if MBC showed you every other inning of a baseball game and had some clown go into the stands and chase people around with an ice cream cone during the even innings?

We should not be thankful until we get what we want. Maybe you are happy with a bone or two thrown your way, but not me. Praise TVG? Ha! That is rich. Praise them for idiot-level progaming? Considering the possibilities they have, they do a rather amaturish job.
Amateurish? Have you ever heard a Christine Olivares paddock interview. She's like 24 years old and the best barn interviewer in the business next to Jeannie Edwards. The B-Team, like Rich Perloff and Chris Kotulak provide more insight than most anyone in the business.

I hate to break it to you, but ESPN, or anyone else, isn't rushing out to create a 24-hour a day channel devoted to racing. In the meantime, I'll watch the fine coverage of NYRA, Oak Tree, Holly, Keenland, and the others that we get. In fact, TVG puts eight times more effort into covering Keenland that HRTV puts into Santa Anita.
richrosa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #30
GaryG
Unreconstructed

This program typifies the marketing strategy of TVG. I just turn it off and if I am betting any of the races run within that hour I will use an alternate source to watch. Chances are the race wouldn't be shown anyway.