Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-30-2008, 09:31 PM   #76
coastkid

Favorite Track Annoucer

Tony Bentley
coastkid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #77
Pace Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoe
This is off topic a bit,but when watching Evangeline Downs on TVG,which I do not play,am puzzled as to what track announcer John McGary says at the start of every race.Am assuming that he is saying something like,'there they go",or "off and running" in what sounds like French.Is EvD in Cajon country,so that a bit of French is an added touch?
Il Sont Partis! (And they're off)
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2008, 12:02 AM   #78
maxwell

I have to give the nod to Trevor Denman. His style suits SoCal racing to a capitol T. I think Tom Durkin was better back in the early days of the BC when he was trying hard to prove himself.

Thanks to melman and sq764 for tuning into Frank Salive's harness calls @ WO. That guy is very good!

My 'blast from the past' would have to be Daryl Wells. One of the best ever.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #79
SmartyMarty

Marty Glickman, deceased harness guy..

the rising star, Travis Stone, flats..
SmartyMarty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #80
Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace Cap'n
Il Sont Partis! (And they're off)
They have left!
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #81
Pace Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin
They have left!
Indeed! Thanks.
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #82
Skanoochies

JACK SHORT, he was a great a announcer at the old Ex. Park in Van. B.C, All you could listen to on the radio back in the fifties and sixties, was his exciting recount of a race. He`d start out with "And there they go!" and finish the day off with "Adios Amigos."
Old 07-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #83
Yorker
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyMarty
Marty Glickman, deceased harness guy..

He's an over-hyped newbie that's only been calling for 2 years. I'm tired of reading the stories about him being the next Tom Durkin. Durkin isn't all that much any way, and this kid is probably more likely calling races at Assiniboia Downs than any of the NYRA tracks, provided they're still running in a few years.
Yorker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #84
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorker

He's an over-hyped newbie that's only been calling for 2 years. I'm tired of reading the stories about him being the next Tom Durkin. Durkin isn't all that much any way, and this kid is probably more likely calling races at Assiniboia Downs than any of the NYRA tracks, provided they're still running in a few years.
'Rising star' is a fair comment re Travis. Once he shakes the 'Dave Durkin' nickname and finds his own voice he will quickly ascend to the upper echelon. He has ALL the tools.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #85
ezrabrooks
Veteran

Travis Stone is a fine young caller...and will only get better with experience. He seems interested in promoting the sport, and is very accessible. I think he is a big plus for LAD.
ezrabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #86
levinmpa

I grew up in No. California and spent many a day at Bay Meadows and Golden Gate Fields. In the early 80's the track announcer for both tracks was a fellow named John Gibson. He was a Henry Henson sound alike. He got himself into some trouble in the late 80s and is now in prison, but he was a very good race caller, and one of my all time favorites.

Every race day at noon, they would play the National Anthem followed by "Good afternoon. This is your track announcer John Gibson. On behalf of the Tanforan Racing Association I would like to welcome you to Golden Gate Fields. If you kindly turn to your programs, I will give you the changes we have thus far."

Here is the call of the 1984 Golden Gate Handicap featuring John Henry and local horse Silveyville, called by track announcer John Gibson. Note the Henry Hensonish start "They're they go". I was fortunate to be there that day and will never forget it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVoXzOxKpBw
levinmpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #87
TravisVOX
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorker

What's the weather like there?

Please don't take your frustrations out on me...

Last edited by TravisVOX; 07-02-2008 at 05:06 PM.
TravisVOX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #88
TravisVOX
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry
'Rising star' is a fair comment re Travis. Once he shakes the 'Dave Durkin' nickname and finds his own voice he will quickly ascend to the upper echelon. He has ALL the tools.
Dave Durkin?

I've actually worked awful hard at expanding the tone and vocabularly, and have been fortunate to have situations to use them. I sounded a lot like Durkin when I started, but that's like golfing like Tiger Woods when you first pick up a club.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #89
TravisVOX
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyMarty
Thank you! I appreciate the kind words.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #90
TravisVOX
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrabrooks
Travis Stone is a fine young caller...and will only get better with experience. He seems interested in promoting the sport, and is very accessible. I think he is a big plus for LAD.
It's so hot here though! Seriously, I appreciate it. My whole involvement with the game, on whatever level, all comes from my passion for the sport. I knew I was going to be doing something in racing from my first visit to the track.

If you're ever in the LAD, drop me an email.