Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 10-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
headhawg
crusty old guy

Win10 users beware

I know that there are a lot of fans of Windows 10 here including our fearless leader PA Mike. I suggest that those people -- and any Win10 users -- read the posts about updating Windows on the askwoody site. I am providing the link as a convenience. askwoody.com

If M$ was a startup, they would be out of business today. That company is godawful.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
Dave Schwartz

Holy crap! That is very bad stuff.

Makes me glad that I've avoided Win10. I have one Win8 and the rest are still Win7.

Of course, the issues with those machines are security updates and lack of RAM in Win32.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Great, just unloaded my new Win10 machine
Old 10-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
Mr.XXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
I know that there are a lot of fans of Windows 10 here including our fearless leader PA Mike. I suggest that those people -- and any Win10 users -- read the posts about updating Windows on the askwoody site. I am providing the link as a convenience. askwoody.com

If M$ was a startup, they would be out of business today. That company is godawful.
Thank you.

What's even worse is that this is not the first time in recent Win10 times that users lose personal docs / progs with significant update.

This piles on top of processor vulnerabilites, which fixes have slowed down computers to a crawl: after effects of WIntel cartel shenanigans.
(And this is nothing compared to the overall damage to the computer industry-a quarter century ago they teamed to shut out IBM & Sun supercomputer chips and ram array technology from pc's. Those chips were more powerful than today's pc offerings, and allowed terabytes of ram{directly connected, dispensing with the pc bus}; at a time when ram was in kilobytes, hard drives in megabytes).

And to top this wonderful cake off, the shit cherry on top follows:
after acting like a pirate, breaking all rules and forcing out of business many along the way with secret illegal agreements while on plunder trip to the top; the guilty just dip into the pirate treasure chest to clean up public image by charitably donating to mostly leftist causes.

Last edited by Mr.XXX; 10-06-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Mr.XXX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
headhawg
crusty old guy

Here is a synopsis of the main issues on ComputerWorld: Link
Old 10-06-2018, 05:08 PM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Yeah, I know...no other software company in the world ever messes up...I'm sure there has never been a problem in the history of Linux...never

But thank you to headhawg for alerting us...I sincerely mean that...I've backed up my docs and pix folders just in case.

And I haven't noticed a slowdown with all the INTEL processor vulnerability patches. Then again, I'm running a modern PC.

People still holding onto 15yo XP boxes need to rethink their priorities. If it's important enough to bitch about, it's probably time to upgrade.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:20 PM   #7
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
People still holding onto 15yo XP boxes need to rethink their priorities. If it's important enough to bitch about, it's probably time to upgrade.
LOL - Agreed!

This was recently done for me when I started plugging in some old AMD 2200 boxes. My motherboard failures are now up to 7 of 7!

Of course, Win7 runs great on a pretty new computer. LOL
Old 10-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Yeah, I know...no other software company in the world ever messes up...I'm sure there has never been a problem in the history of Linux...never
For a company that has been doing this for such a long time this update nonsense should NEVER happen. M$ has decided to make users the beta (if not alpha) testers for their shitty updates. 1809 is just the latest problem -- and arguably the worst -- for Win10 users. But if you want to get a sense of how long this silly behavior has been going on read the last year's worth of articles on askwoody.

For the record I am using Win7 and I'm not a Linux guy. I would switch in a heartbeat if all of my Windows apps worked on another OS. When Microsloth decides to end support for W7 I will have a very important decision to make.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #9
headhawg
crusty old guy

Oh boy...if this ArsTechnica article is to be beiieved, data deletion was reported as early as THREE MONTHS AGO! Link
Old 10-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #10
JustRalph
Just another Facist

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/1...-update-paused
Old 10-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Yeah, I know...no other software company in the world ever messes up...
and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
For a company that has been doing this for such a long time this update nonsense should NEVER happen. M$ has decided to make users the beta (if not alpha) testers for their shitty updates...
I have to agree with with headhawg here.

This isn't some minor problem. It's a Windows Update that's deleting personal stuff: pictures, music, videos etc. from people's hard drives.

I started publishing early versions of JCapper back in 2003.

I've published close to (if not more than) 1000 JCapper program updates over the past 15 years.

I test each program update to the best of my ability before it goes out.

I'm only human and sometimes I do make mistakes. And if I'm being honest, some have been downright embarrassing. (At least to me.)

But I catch 99% of said mistakes during testing (before a program update goes out.)

In post# 9 headhawg linked to an article that suggests Microsoft has known this Windows Update has been causing people to lose personal files for at least THREE MONTHS.
Quote:
Making this worse is that the bug does appear to have been reported. Numerous reports in Feedback Hub, Microsoft's bug-reporting tool for Windows 10, complain of data deletion after installing preview releases. None of the bug reports appears to have many upvotes, and the reports generally lack in detail. So just as with the more recent reports, they make it hard to pin down the root cause. But it's obvious that, at the very least, something was going wrong and that it was important enough that it should have been investigated and addressed.

Compounding this issue is that Microsoft's rollout of version 1809 was already unusual. For reasons unknown, Microsoft didn't release this update to the Release Preview ring, so the most realistic installation scenario—someone going from version 1803 to 1809—didn't receive much testing anyway. And all this is against the longer-term concern that Microsoft laid off many dedicated testers without really replacing the testing that those testers were doing.
I can't imagine a scenario (as in ever) where, once there's even the slightest chance one of my program updates is causing personal files to disappear from hard drives -- I knowingly continue to allow people to download that program update.

As a software developer, the instant you see evidence of something like that:

You take the link down and (as much as it hurts) you warn the entire user community.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 10-07-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #12
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I can't imagine a scenario (as in ever) where, once there's even the slightest chance one of my program updates is causing personal files to disappear from hard drives -- I knowingly continue to allow people to download that program update.

As a software developer, the instant you see evidence of something like that:

You take the link down and (as much as it hurts) you warn the entire user community.

Jeff,

Indeed you are right!

Those who have been developing software prior to Win95 (i.e. DOS days) - such as you and me - are probably aware that Microsoft changed the entire programming world.

Before then, Research and Development decided when a product or upgrade was ready. Microsoft changed all that by allowing Marketing to decide when a product was "ready."

That's how the Win98 version of MS Word went out with 64,000 known bugs!

I had a software VP tell me once that this change by MS forced every other software company, no matter how small, to do the same thing just to be competitive.

At first I thought it was hogwash, but eventually saw that he was right.

If MS is releasing products on (say) a 3-year schedule, then, by God, everybody else better keep up, even if it means putting out software that isn't ready!

Small vendors usually have more integrity because they have to. You can't be both small and lack integrity. LOL

MS has done so much to advance the state of the computer world. Unfortunately, they've also done so much to ruin it.

They could have done so much better.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #13
AltonKelsey
Veteran

I always do a full backup (or incremental) before the updates. You never know
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

MS has been going downhill since DOS 3.2

I still run 3.2 on an old B&W laptop, 3.5 disk.

Last edited by Tom; 10-08-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #15
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
MS has been going downhill since DOS 3.2

I still run 3.2 on an old B&W laptop, 3.5 disk.
The museum for PC history must be located in Canandaigua, New York.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply