Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-29-2018, 12:58 AM   #61
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post
More significant is his trainer being 1-for-54 lifetime in American graded stakes on dirt.

Guess we'd need some kinda molecular gauge to measure the difference between that trend and the 0-for-51's.

Plenty of folks will be wagering the storm cats and the apollos, etc. and I see very little difference between all of these *trends*. Trainer angles aren't high on my list since good horses take many trrainers to the derby, not the other way around.

Last edited by clicknow; 04-29-2018 at 12:59 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #62
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
good horses take many trainers to the derby, not the other way around.

OK, then what explains Nick Zero ??
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #63
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
Who? The Mayor of Belmont?
Old 04-29-2018, 11:08 PM   #64
Robert Fischer
clean money

'video game Mendelssohn'

paints him somewhat like an American Pharaoh... He can run for the lead, relax from hoof-to-ear and cruise along, bound into the far turn and show a big response to tackle leaders/draw off.

Is he the 128 TimeformUS/106 Beyer UAE Derby?

Or the 110 TimeformUS/86 Beyer BCJUVTURF?

Can he get near a Kentucky Derby pace, and chill like he can against the scrubs in Dubai?

Are they set on the lead, with a doomed strategy, when he'd be better suited to sit in the pocket of the 2nd group or so and make 1 run?

lots of questions, interesting horse interesting puzzle

Form

Mendelssohn

7th start G2 UAE DERBY 1 3/16M - Ridden to get the lead, Controlled a moderate-to-slow pace on the lead, field bunched a bit approaching the far turn, opened up on the turn, continued opening up on the field while entering the stretch on the wrong lead, switched leads and continued a a strong run through the stretch to win by an eye-popping 18.5 lengths.

6th start Dundalk Patton S. 1M - (polytrack) Strong run through the stretch. Hard to drive to win by just a length, although he did look visually superior to his rival. I couldn't see the entire race or a good chart, but it may have been a slow-paced race(that would explain the difficulty of drawing away).

5th start G1 Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf 1 1/16M - Drew rail post. Urged from gate to get forward position. Sat in the pocket covered up, saving ground, professional, strong fundamentals, Came off the rail to strike the front and made a strong run through the stretch to win, while late runner closing the gap to 1 Length, but never threatening the outcome.

4th start G1 Darley Dewhurst 7f Turf - tracked leaders, Clearly 2nd-best albeit to very good horse (US Navy Flag).

3rd start G2 Champagne Stakes 7f Turf - tracked leaders, weakened, eased to last.

2nd start 1 M turf weak field - Broke maiden, 1 length winner.

debut 7F Turf strong field - Finished 8th by 16L of a 13-horse field.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 04-29-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2018, 05:18 AM   #65
kevb

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
Seahenge is supposedly going to run in the Pat Day Mile.

Another KY bred Coolmore/Aiden O'Brien Scat Daddy whose been racing against Mendelssohn from almost day one, may provide even better insight. On firm ground, he's lost to Mendelssohn 3 in a row- on Del Mar turf, Dundalk all weather, and Dubai sand.

If I could, I'd place a bet on a Rayya - Mendelssohn - Seahenge sweep, just for the heck of it.

Boy does Coolmore really wants a new replacement for Scat Daddy. FWIW, they were interested in Justify but passed because he did not pass their vet inspection.
Thanks. I missed that. I'll be interested in Seahenge's run.
kevb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2018, 05:21 AM   #66
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
6th start Dundalk Patton S. 1M - (polytrack) Strong run through the stretch. Hard to drive to win by just a length, although he did look visually superior to his rival. I couldn't see the entire race or a good chart, but it may have been a slow-paced race(that would explain the difficulty of drawing away).
I thought carrying 134 lbs might have hurt him here?

He only carried 131 lbs in his first 2 career races as a 2 year old.

Then 3 races in succession where he carried 126, 127, 122 before the race at Dundalk. Seems like carrying that 12 extra pounds next out after lower weights might have impacted his drawing away?
Old 04-30-2018, 05:22 AM   #67
clicknow

Quote:
At the time I posted I was thinking of Summer Bird.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:09 AM   #68
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
'video game Mendelssohn'

paints him somewhat like an American Pharaoh... He can run for the lead, relax from hoof-to-ear and cruise along, bound into the far turn and show a big response to tackle leaders/draw off.

Is he the 128 TimeformUS/106 Beyer UAE Derby?

Or the 110 TimeformUS/86 Beyer BCJUVTURF?

Can he get near a Kentucky Derby pace, and chill like he can against the scrubs in Dubai?

Are they set on the lead, with a doomed strategy, when he'd be better suited to sit in the pocket of the 2nd group or so and make 1 run?

lots of questions, interesting horse interesting puzzle

Form

Mendelssohn

7th start G2 UAE DERBY 1 3/16M - Ridden to get the lead, Controlled a moderate-to-slow pace on the lead, field bunched a bit approaching the far turn, opened up on the turn, continued opening up on the field while entering the stretch on the wrong lead, switched leads and continued a a strong run through the stretch to win by an eye-popping 18.5 lengths.

5th start G1 Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf 1 1/16M - Drew rail post. Urged from gate to get forward position. Sat in the pocket covered up, saving ground, professional, strong fundamentals, Came off the rail to strike the front and made a strong run through the stretch to win, while late runner closing the gap to 1 Length, but never threatening the outcome.

4th start G1 Darley Dewhurst 7f Turf - tracked leaders, Clearly 2nd-best albeit to very good horse (US Navy Flag).

3rd start G2 Champagne Stakes 7f Turf - tracked leaders, weakened, eased to last.

2nd start 1 M turf weak field - Broke maiden, 1 length winner.

debut 7F Turf strong field - Finished 8th by 16L of a 13-horse field.
Nice write up. I too am thinking a lead will be a doomed strategy. If I knew this horse would stalk the pace I'd have no problem betting him. Do not like his chances gunning straight for the lead vs an American pace.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2018, 09:24 AM   #69
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
I thought carrying 134 lbs might have hurt him here?

He only carried 131 lbs in his first 2 career races as a 2 year old.

Then 3 races in succession where he carried 126, 127, 122 before the race at Dundalk. Seems like carrying that 12 extra pounds next out after lower weights might have impacted his drawing away?
Great point. Weight is such a non-factor here, that I seldom check unless a horse is picking up big weight after recent success.

Was Mendelssohn (134) carrying a lot more than the others?
Old 05-01-2018, 04:21 AM   #70
clicknow

Quote:
Great point. Weight is such a non-factor here, that I seldom check unless a horse is picking up big weight after recent success.

Was Mendelssohn (134) carrying a lot more than the others?
I don't think so, only Raaya carried less weight AFAIK

He was sans lasix though. So he will probably recover from that race more quickly, then add that he will most likely receive lasix in the Derby.

Shipping distance may be a wash as far as the recovering quickly part.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-01-2018 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #71
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
Nice write up. I too am thinking a lead will be a doomed strategy. If I knew this horse would stalk the pace I'd have no problem betting him. Do not like his chances gunning straight for the lead vs an American pace.

I think he gets an easy lead myself.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:35 PM   #72
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
From the 14 hole with a ton of speed to the inside? I do like his post overall. He should get a clean break from there and that can be half the battle.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2018, 07:12 PM   #73
PoloUK6108

For some reason I keep getting flashbacks of Aiden on his phone after winning the juvenile turf and shaking hands with everyone...is this really the year??

Ain't it great being American?..we kind of want to see it happen, but at the same time we don't because we stick with our own! A generalization, of course..

At least the horse came from KY, but all the best do.

Last edited by PoloUK6108; 05-01-2018 at 07:14 PM.
PoloUK6108 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #74
Afleet

Quote:
More significant is his trainer being 1-for-54 lifetime in American graded stakes on dirt.

Now whyyyyyyyyyyyy is anyone even considering his charge at a massive underlay??

At least wait until the guy ascends to the 2% threshold in that category.
How many of those had dirt pedigrees?
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2018, 07:28 PM   #75
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
Not going 25 and 48 he isn't.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply