Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 11-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
redshift1

Impressions of the ipad?

Anyone here have one? any apps that relate to horse racing? I'm thinking about getting one but wonder how much I might use it after the cool factor fades away.
redshift1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Love mine........I was skeptical until I used one in person......it changes everything.........

here are related threads.......using the search function.

http://paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74952

http://paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71412

http://paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73688

http://paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69762

http://paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68476

http://paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66122

Here is OTM Al using his at Saratoga

I think he is using his to Blog from Churchill as I write this..........
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
redshift1

This case looks nice

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/165...uches-catagory

There's also a youtube clip demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGg1fLP1a5o
Old 11-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
beertapper

it's a good device for websites, short emails, and getting news. very portable and good battery life. not a laptop replacement. excellent build quality.
beertapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertapper
it's a good device for websites, short emails, and getting news. very portable and good battery life. not a laptop replacement. excellent build quality.
great way to describe it. I am surprised that apple was able to identify this "hole" in the market though. It fits perfectly with what tons of people really wanted all along. Netbook sales are cratering since the ipad came out

Steve Jobs saw this niche market and how wide it was. That's why he is a genius
Old 11-08-2010, 02:52 AM   #6
redshift1

I'm looking at the 16GB 3g but I might wait until the new models are announced Apple is considering including a camera in the next iteration.

I remember my first Apple computer a Macintosh 512Ke a stand alone before the WWW. Circa 1987.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I should have bought 16b. I bought the middle model/wifi only.

I am not crazy about apps. I have a bunch but still have tons of room left on mine.

I sometimes wish I had the 3g model......but not very often.

The next model is not due until spring if I remember right.

It's a great tool. The new version of the operating system with multi tasking and more is due any day now for the Ipad. If you can get to an apple store, I highly recommend going in and putting your hands on one. You really don't "get it" until you handle one.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:36 AM   #8
JBmadera

just bought one for my wife yesterday. Can't believe how clear the resolution is and how fast/easy it was to set up and to get connected to the net.

all she likes to do it download and look at pictures, go to the various family websites and buy crap online (shoot!), with the iPad she can do all that while sitting on the couch why I'm watching football - oh good, more "together time".
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

JB, it's great for the Doctors office waiting room, and sitting outside the department store waiting on the wife.............
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #10
JBmadera

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
JB, it's great for the Doctors office waiting room, and sitting outside the department store waiting on the wife.............

great idea! now when I'm waiting in the car I can use the iPad and listen to XM radio.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #11
redshift1

There might be some problems with wi-fi and 4.2. Its being discussed on MacRumors forums, probably will be corrected by the official release Date.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

It is the second greatest invention after Coca Cola. This is high praise. I use mine every day for something. If you want to put media on it, I would max out the storage. 3G works well unless you get in big crowds. Only big complaint I have is that occasionally I have problems with the browser, lockups and missing scroll bars on things like this response pane. This may be more due to Apple's arrogance on trying to make everyone conform to them, rather than putting out a product that is flexible. Not having Flash stinks and was almost a deal killer for me. Am looking forward to the new OS as switching back and forth between applications as it is now kills the power reserve.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #13
JBmadera

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
It is the second greatest invention after Coca Cola. This is high praise. I use mine every day for something. If you want to put media on it, I would max out the storage. 3G works well unless you get in big crowds. Only big complaint I have is that occasionally I have problems with the browser, lockups and missing scroll bars on things like this response pane. This may be more due to Apple's arrogance on trying to make everyone conform to them, rather than putting out a product that is flexible. Not having Flash stinks and was almost a deal killer for me. Am looking forward to the new OS as switching back and forth between applications as it is now kills the power reserve.
Hey OTM Al - we just got an iPad yesterday (for the wife, mostly... ). Any horse racing/horse related apps?

thx!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadera
Hey OTM Al - we just got an iPad yesterday (for the wife, mostly... ). Any horse racing/horse related apps?

thx!
There are a few I've downloaded. Equibase has their yearbook that lists all stakes winners on the year and has video for them. Steve Crist's Ticket Maket is also available. The BC made an App as well, so you can get nice info on those races. Best apps though are for international racing. Racing Post has a great app as well as Australian Racing. All these were free. Just go to the app store and type "horse racing" in the search and you'll see a bunch. Lot of crap mixed in too
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #15
JBmadera

great, thank you!