Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-14-2018, 06:19 PM   #7696
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 40,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
I have provided you with a list of books. Do you want it again?

Personally my "animus" is for the religion, not those who believe it. "Hate the sin and love the sinner."

Scripture proves nothing.

Wrong. All of the above is subject to revision, refinement, even outright rejection should evidence require it.
I don't want a list of books. Just provide the direct hard evidence that abiogensis is a valid theory.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #7697
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 40,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Have you read all these "other religious books"? If not then how could you possibly know?
I don't have to. Those worldly ideas have no message of salvation for mankind, unless you count self-help ideas as such a message -- which, again, would make the bible unique because the bible isn't about what man can do to earn God's favor, but what God has done to actually save many.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #7698
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
I don't want a list of books. Just provide the direct hard evidence that abiogensis is a valid theory.
It's in the books.
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #7699
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
I don't have to. Those worldly ideas have no message of salvation for mankind ...
Straw Man! Since you have not read the books how could you possibly know that? You can't! You are are expressing an idea for which you have no evidence.
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #7700
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 40,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Straw Man! Since you have not read the books how could you possibly know that? You can't! You are are expressing an idea for which you have no evidence.
Not true! I have an abundance of evidence: How many people have come to your house to evangelize you on Zeus , Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Athena, Apollo, Artemis, Ares, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, Hermes,Hestia or Dionysus. And this is the pantheon of just Greek gods. We could go down the list of hundreds, if not thousands of other gods and ask the same question and get the same answer.

Heck...even Jews don't evangelize. Muslims don't either. The closest anyone can come to evangelical Christianity are a couple of cults (JWs and Mormons, primarily), who go door knockin'. And that's to be expected; for most in those groups will be those who have professed Christ, yet on the last day will hear those dreadful words of Jesus in Mat 7:21-23.

But because Christianity truly does have good news to share with the world, both Christians in full time ministry and not preach the gospel all around the world. The Christian's God is truly unique and has something meaningful to say to the lost in the world, other than "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" or some equivalent.

Night, night.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 09:31 PM   #7701
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 40,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
It's in the books.
But not on the web?

Here's a clue for you, Dumpty: Abiogenesis is another fairy tale. It never happened and no one has any hard, direct evidence that it has .
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #7702
HalvOnHorseracing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
How do they serve it?
On a plate
HalvOnHorseracing is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 10:08 PM   #7703
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4,553
VigorsTheGrey is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 10:25 PM   #7704
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Not true! I have an abundance of evidence: How many people have come to your house to evangelize you on Zeus , Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Athena, Apollo, Artemis, Ares, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, Hermes,Hestia or Dionysus. And this is the pantheon of just Greek gods. We could go down the list of hundreds, if not thousands of other gods and ask the same question and get the same answer.
I repeat, how can you know if you have not read their books? You can't.

It's still a straw man. It's convenient that you listed the gods of a religion that few practice today. Try Hinduism.
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 10:49 PM   #7705
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Abiogenesis is another fairy tale. It never happened and no one has any hard, direct evidence that it
has.
  • Genesis: the Scientific Quest for Life's Origin by Robert M. Hazen. ISBN 0-309-09432-1
  • Atomic Evidence: Seeing the Molecular Basis of Life by David S. Goodsell ISBN 978-3-319-32508-1
  • The Machinery of Life by David S. Goodsell ISBN 0-387-97846-1
  • The Origins of Order: Self-Organization and Selection in Evolution by Stuart A. Kauffman ISBN 0-19-505811-9
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 08-15-2018, 12:01 AM   #7706
Hank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Quote:
Have you read all these "other religious books"
? If not then how could you possibly know?
I'll take a wild guess and say, not a chance.
Hank is offline  
Old 08-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #7707
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 40,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
I repeat, how can you know if you have not read their books? You can't.

It's still a straw man. It's convenient that you listed the gods of a religion that few practice today. Try Hinduism.
I never had a Hindu knock on my door either spreading their good news -- not even their sacred cow manure. Nor have I ever heard of a Hindus evangelizing.

I omitted a lot of religions because, as Hcap is so fond of pointing out to us so often, they share this common behavior (in this case), in that none of them have any good news to share with the world. No, not one! But Christianity is unique. Christians have the greatest news in the world to share with the world!
This is why we try to share the gospel of forgiveness whenever we can.

And the Far East religions/philosophies are no better. Have you ever been evangelized by a Buddhist? I haven't. And what great news do they have to offer -- that's it's the religion of 1,001 chances in case none of us get it right in this life? And if we don't, then we can all get to look forward to do this life over and over and over and over...until someday we do? That's the good news?

All those books out there that I haven't read have this in common: Not one of them teach that God so loved the world that he took on human flesh so that he could die and pay the penalty of sin for all those who would believe on him. Not one of these religions can say about themselves what Paul said about himself, for example, that the grace of God was poured out on him abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ (1Tim 1:14).

If any of these books taught these kinds of things, the believers would be compelled by God's grace within their soul to share that kind of great news with their fellow man. I don't have to read all the world's religious or philosophical books to discern the best from the rest. There is no religious leader under heaven whose wisdom can begin to compare with Christ's.

I mean...look at how the story that got off to a rocky start in the Garden of Eden, nonetheless it finally winds up with a very happy and glorious ending in a new and even better Eden! The infinite wisdom of God is such that he can work his will and purpose for all his created imagers, through their very corrupt free wills, to achieve his objective -- to reach his intended goal. He can work his will through us in spite of our sinful hearts, which is also the seat of our volition.

Tell me, Mr. Actor, which other god in any other religion has done such a thing? But if Hcap's "wisdom" is emblematic of the world's, Hcap would have had God do a huge do-over. He would have had God abandon his idea of creating creatures made in his image. He would have had God admit defeat, and start over again. But would a defeated God been worthy of our love, adoration, faith and obedience? Wouldn't the serpent god who gained the victory in the Garden been far more worthy of our loyalty?

If for no other reason at all...God is worthy of our love, adoration and reverence just for his pure genius -- just for his infinite knowledge and wisdom and his power to implement his will -- in spite of all his fallen, hate-filled, rebellious imagers resisting him and even outright rejecting him. To my mind, that kind of God is more than impressive. I'm awe-struck by such a loving and all-wise God.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 08-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #7708
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 40,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
On a plate
Well...then...at least they're civilized. I mean...even John the Baptist's head was served up on a platter.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 08-15-2018, 10:56 AM   #7709
hcap
Registered User
 
hcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 30,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by bollixed-up-car
I never had a Hindu knock on my door either spreading their good news -- not even their sacred cow manure.
That's because manure is used for farming more so than spreading biblical "good news"

Btw, Hinduism pre-dates all youse edu-macated Christ-dus.

Scholars regard Hinduism as a synthesis of various Indian cultures and traditions, with diverse roots and no single founder. The history of Hinduism is often divided into periods of development, with the first period being that of the historical Vedic religion dated from about 1900 BCE to 1400 BCE.

Last edited by hcap; 08-15-2018 at 11:02 AM.
hcap is offline  
Old 08-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #7710
hcap
Registered User
 
hcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 30,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
I omitted a lot of religions because, as Hcap is so fond of pointing out to us so often, they share this common behavior (in this case), in that none of them have any good news to share with the world. No, not one! But Christianity is unique. Christians have the greatest news in the world to share with the world!
This is why we try to share the gospel of "forgiveness" (oh bother!)-my edit- whenever we can.
You're correct. No other religion or more correctly, interpretation of religion, has their deity licking it's chops murdering infants as some sort of divine "justice"

Last edited by hcap; 08-15-2018 at 11:29 AM.
hcap is offline  
Closed Thread




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2021 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.