Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 05-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #31
highnote

Did anyone see Vancouver vs. Chicago, game 7?

That was the greatest hockey game I've ever seen. It had a ton of drama -- with Luongo on the hot seat after giving up a 3-0 series lead and letting Chicago rattle off three straight to tie it up.

In the post game 7 interview the interviewer said Luongo was almost in tears and was shaking he was so happy because of the tremendous weight was lifted from his shoulders.

Kesler, Burrows, the Sedin Twins and Luongo will prove too much for Boston. Charra and Tim Thomas are tough, but Vancouver is just too deep.

Canucks in 6 or less.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #32
slew101

Tim Thomas stupidity strikes again. I shouldn't be surprised.
slew101 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #33
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Trotter
Well, I got the right two in the Finals!
I'm no hockey expert...why is Vancouver seemingly hated so much even in Canada?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #34
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Hate is such a strong word.

I'm no expert either but as the best chance to bring the Cup home to Canada again (yeah, that's right, I said home) I'm loving the Canucks now.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #35
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
cj, where the heck are you gettting that from? I would say 75% of Canada is pulling for the Canucks! What would have given you that idea in any way, shape or form -- totally untrue.

I'm guessing you must have tuned into the NBC broadcast which wouldn't reflect reality in the situation.

Jim Schoenfeld
Jay Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #36
Rookies
Canadian since 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
if you're seeing that, it's only gotta be put down to envy. When you live in arguably, the consistently highest rated, most admired and most desired cities in the WORLD, people don't want you getting every enchilada...
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #37
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I've had a few people that know a lot more about hockey than I do tell me Canadians hate the way they play...a lot of phony diving and such.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #38
beertapper

i think most of it stems from the fact that there are (were?) only 2 teams that had national appeal... the Leafs and Canadiens. With most media based out east, plus the time zone difference, there just isin't as much coverage of western teams (and when there is it's just too late at night...).

Now the Canucks are in the spotlight and dare I say it, i sense a bit of envy...

Last edited by beertapper; 06-05-2011 at 02:10 PM.
beertapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #39
slew101

Don't forgot the biting, and the thug who did it in Game 1 taunted the player he bit in Game 2 and scored two goals.

I don't think Boston is dead yet, but Thomas is too much of a gambler in net and the Bruins were out of gas in both third periods after playing with great energy the first two periods of Games 1 and 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I've had a few people that know a lot more about hockey than I do tell me Canadians hate the way they play...a lot of phony diving and such.
slew101 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #40
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by slew101
Don't forgot the biting, and the thug who did it in Game 1 taunted the player he bit in Game 2 and scored two goals.

I don't think Boston is dead yet, but Thomas is too much of a gambler in net and the Bruins were out of gas in both third periods after playing with great energy the first two periods of Games 1 and 2.
That biting incident is a black eye for hockey. If that happened in the NBA it would be the top story in sports for three days.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #41
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Well, again, I need to say your sample group must be skewed for whatever reason. And seriously, phony diving and such -- that just isn't happening with the Canucks! The so-called biting incident is pretty much a non-incident. The Bruin player is face washing Burrows in a scrum. Certainly no black-eye incident for hockey.

As far as other Canadians cheering for the Canucks I'll stand by my estimate of 75% in favour of them winning the Cup.

Up until 1967 there were only 6 NHL teams, of which two, Montreal and Toronto were in Canada. Every single Canadian either cheered for the Habs or the Leafs, period! Vancouver joined the NHL in 1972 with the 2nd wave of expansion. Anyone born around 1965 eventually found themselves with a split allegiance between the original two teams and their own team.

Fans in cities like Edmonton and Calgary have a hate-on for Vancouver similar to what Bruins and Habs fans have going on. They're in the same division, so that's just natural.

Jim Schoenfeld
Jay Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #42
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
That biting incident is a black eye for hockey. If that happened in the NBA it would be the top story in sports for three days.
The apparent biting was probably an autonomic defensive reflexive reaction to when someone sticks a couple of fingers in the mouth.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2011, 03:30 AM   #43
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetyejohn
Did anyone see Vancouver vs. Chicago, game 7?

That was the greatest hockey game I've ever seen. It had a ton of drama -- with Luongo on the hot seat after giving up a 3-0 series lead and letting Chicago rattle off three straight to tie it up.

In the post game 7 interview the interviewer said Luongo was almost in tears and was shaking he was so happy because of the tremendous weight was lifted from his shoulders.

Kesler, Burrows, the Sedin Twins and Luongo will prove too much for Boston. Charra and Tim Thomas are tough, but Vancouver is just too deep.

Canucks in 6 or less.
That was an amazing game, spectacular high level of play from both teams, if they were giving out Beyer figs for that game, it would have been about a 120.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2011, 03:36 AM   #44
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Yeah, i agree, sticking your fingers in someone's mouth should never be tolerated.

Dan Hamhuis was crosschecked/cheap shotted in the head and left the game with a concussion, yet nobody talks about that being a 'black eye'.

There was no fine or suspension, so, i'm not sure how black the eye is going to be going forward.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:40 AM   #45
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Every team has a diver or two, diving is a common occurance because they don't penalize it too often. Once in a long while they'll give a guy a penalty if the dive is really bad, but if its not too obvious, they usually let it go.