Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 02-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #76
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

2nd Generation iPad event on March 2nd.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...?taxonomyId=15
Old 03-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #77
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

Anyone going to take a look at the 2nd generation iPad? I'm very close to caving in and buying a WiFi one, either 16 or 32 gig. I can't believe I'm thinking of spending 499 or 599 on something that won't even be a primary device for me, but sadly I am.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:11 AM   #78
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

I've got too much crap already....I know, tablets are magical or whatever..blah blah. I'll stick with laptop for a few more iterations....
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2011, 02:17 AM   #79
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhead
I've got too much crap already....I know, tablets are magical or whatever..blah blah. I'll stick with laptop for a few more iterations....
I actually agree with you. Except for being a reader/viewer, I don't really see enough uses for the iPad that I can't get by with using my phone & laptop.

I'm trying to resist (I may upgrade my macbook pro to keep me from buying an iPad 2, lol).
Old 03-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #80
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBedo
Anyone going to take a look at the 2nd generation iPad? I'm very close to caving in and buying a WiFi one, either 16 or 32 gig. I can't believe I'm thinking of spending 499 or 599 on something that won't even be a primary device for me, but sadly I am.
it will change your life. Or at least the way you do things. I am going to hold off on the new one. For a little while anyway.

The inclusion of Imovie and GarageBand on the new one (4.99 a piece in the app store) due to the new dual core processor and the 720p HD camera makes for some interesting possibilities. It makes it basically a mobile TV station or Sound system for performers. You will be able to record an interview, or any video event and edit it on the fly and then upload it
within minutes.

Add in the front facing camera and you can Facetime (video calls) or do conference calls from anywhere you can get an internet signal, including 3G.

See page here :
http://www.apple.com/ipad/built-in-apps/facetime.html
[YT="Facetime Demo"]GI8zMLV7n70[/YT]

Can you imagine broadcasting live from the Tent at Saratoga via Ipad 2 this coming summer?

How about the products for musicians (these work on the first Ipad also) that are coming out now?

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/Main.html?MainPage.php

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/iphone

[YT="Garage Band for Ipad"]jO_3k3upcQM&NR=1[/YT]

[YT="Imovie for Ipad"]GP1Gq6n_IMg[/YT]
Old 03-04-2011, 02:35 AM   #81
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBedo
I actually agree with you. Except for being a reader/viewer, I don't really see enough uses for the iPad that I can't get by with using my phone & laptop.

I'm trying to resist (I may upgrade my macbook pro to keep me from buying an iPad 2, lol).
take the plunge, you won't regret it. You can buy the old Ipad for 399 now. 349 refurbished.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:38 AM   #82
JustRalph
Just another Facist

New app

Zite

I really like it. Compiles a running magazine according to your interests

Free
Old 03-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #83
fast4522

I think it will really be worth it for me to display another stream of a track running once in a while with a Ipad. Past Performances look good on the Ipad and the Major Mud like moving of the windows looks like it will be natural instead of two mice for two computers. What I really want to do is get a Ipod as well and take Bris files from the Bris site while I am in Las Vegas at hot spots. As the Ipod's are sold they will not do that unless other than Safari is used. They will not save zip files as is unless you buy other software. Oh I also like the weather application for locations of the tracks in both Ipad & Pod. The watered down application "Numbers" is a real disappointment for any power user, but that is what real computers are for.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #84
beertapper

So did anyone buy an ipad 2 ?

Anyone get V2 ?

From what I read, it's worth picking up if you don't have the first one. Owners of V1 should just keep using their current one... it'd be wasteful if you have to upgrade a $500 device every year (although apple may want that). The lighter weight and thinness are big pros... the cameras are so-so at best (but plenty good for video calls).

Some early buyers are complaining of backlight bleeding....let's see if this boils into an issue that apple has to address or if they will try to sweep under the rug. I don't know if it can be fixed via software.
beertapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #85
Storm Cadet

Does anyone own an I Pad and have a NYRA one acct? I tried to log into my friends I Pad today and see if you could wager and watch the live video, but the NYRA server was down in the time I tried it both on my PC at work and the Ipad.
Storm Cadet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #86
JustRalph
Just another Facist

First gen iPads going for 349 to 399 in places around Maryland right now. They are flying off the shelf

3 week wait for the new one right now
Old 03-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #87
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Cadet
Does anyone own an I Pad and have a NYRA one acct? I tried to log into my friends I Pad today and see if you could wager and watch the live video, but the NYRA server was down in the time I tried it both on my PC at work and the Ipad.
OTM Al...are you out there?
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #88
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
OTM Al...are you out there?
Yep, though somewhat sleepy...

I pretty much do all my wagering on NYRA One on my iPad. The video does not work on it however as, like almost all others, it is flash based. The only video I know to work on the iPad is Twinspires Mobile (not regular site)
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #89
Storm Cadet

Thanks Al...another reason to wait for a tablet like an I Pad that does have Flash.
Storm Cadet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #90
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Cadet
Thanks Al...another reason to wait for a tablet like an I Pad that does have Flash.
The Android based tablets should fill the bill. I just got an Android based phone and love it.