Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-21-2024, 05:16 PM   #31
Saratoga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
How many files get sent toDropBox, and howvmuch space do you need?
around 1.7 gigs
Saratoga is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2024, 07:08 PM   #32
Tom
The Voice of Reason!
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Canandaigua, New york
Posts: 112,832
Thanks!
__________________
Who does the Racing Form Detective like in this one?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2024, 11:49 AM   #33
classhandicapper
Registered User
 
classhandicapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 20,609
I didn't have enough space left in my Dropbox to import it. I did look at some of the fields contained and it does have some added Class condition info that I don't get via DRF Text files that would be useful.
__________________
"Unlearning is the highest form of learning"
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2024, 12:03 PM   #34
Saratoga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I didn't have enough space left in my Dropbox to import it. I did look at some of the fields contained and it does have some added Class condition info that I don't get via DRF Text files that would be useful.
I saw it too...

Looked incomplete to me...lots of repetitive stuff and only found top 3 horses of the fields..

I did get quite crossed eyes going thru it all
Saratoga is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2024, 01:00 PM   #35
vegasone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I didn't have enough space left in my Dropbox to import it. I did look at some of the fields contained and it does have some added Class condition info that I don't get via DRF Text files that would be useful.



You can download the files to your computer first instead of your dropbox, as per previous post.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2024, 04:02 PM   #36
classhandicapper
Registered User
 
classhandicapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 20,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
You can download the files to your computer first instead of your dropbox, as per previous post.
Thanks

I missed that post.
__________________
"Unlearning is the highest form of learning"
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2024, 09:05 PM   #37
TrifectaBox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Posts: 37
Then sent an email asking if we are using the data to pick more winners



I'm tempted to reply, the way the data was formatted, most folks will be lucky to use it at all.
TrifectaBox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2024, 06:54 PM   #38
equusvates
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 13
Reading the xml data

As formatted, the data is meant to be parsed by a machine. Python and other programming languages have libraries that easily parse the files and archive them to a csv file or a database. I am currently using the pugixml library in c++. I presently use a python library for Equibase race changes xml file in the python and c++ versions of my program. I am switching to c++ for security reasons as python is extremely hard to secure.
equusvates is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2024, 09:40 PM   #39
denniswilliams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Posts: 260
How exactly is Python 'extremely hard to secure'?
denniswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2024, 10:16 PM   #40
equusvates
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 13
Python security

Python is an interpreted at runtime language and executed as byte code by a python virtual machine. As such, a reverse engineering program can read the interpreted code in memory and reverse engineer the source code. By security, I meant, if you worked many years as I have in developing your code, you would want someone to make it their own in just a few days or weeks. As your c++, there are many obfuscation program that will put in many garbage instructions into the executable while at the same time encrypting all or critical portions of the program and or external configuration files. I have spent more than 20 years in development. Itís not perfect of course, but has many angles taken from Pizzolla, Taulbot, Byer, Sartin and from casual conversations at the track. It is by design a long shot program. It does not goes cray and grabs long shots for the sake of price. In fact, it will make some favorites that are over 2 to 1, 1 to 5 or better.

Last edited by equusvates; 04-08-2024 at 10:21 PM.
equusvates is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2024, 06:26 AM   #41
Saratoga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by equusvates View Post
Python is an interpreted at runtime language and executed as byte code by a python virtual machine. As such, a reverse engineering program can read the interpreted code in memory and reverse engineer the source code. By security, I meant, if you worked many years as I have in developing your code, you would want someone to make it their own in just a few days or weeks. As your c++, there are many obfuscation program that will put in many garbage instructions into the executable while at the same time encrypting all or critical portions of the program and or external configuration files. I have spent more than 20 years in development. Itís not perfect of course, but has many angles taken from Pizzolla, Taulbot, Byer, Sartin and from casual conversations at the track. It is by design a long shot program. It does not goes cray and grabs long shots for the sake of price. In fact, it will make some favorites that are over 2 to 1, 1 to 5 or better.
Your posts have gone 10 stories over my head....

But I would be interested in what you get out of this , if you don't mind

thx
Saratoga is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2024, 08:29 AM   #42
vegasone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 531
Over complicating something really simple. Unless you are selling software, you want the quickest and easiest way to solve your problem and python fits the bill. Lots of XML parsers available in python if you are handy in Python.


The problem is that most of the people on here are not programmers and for sure aren't going to be learning C.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2024, 02:57 PM   #43
TrifectaBox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Posts: 37
The data should have been delivered in a less obtuse form.


Clearly they intended this for practicing data crunchers , not the average player.


My guess, this is how they store it.
TrifectaBox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2024, 03:19 PM   #44
denniswilliams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrifectaBox View Post
The data should have been delivered in a less obtuse form.


Clearly they intended this for practicing data crunchers , not the average player.


My guess, this is how they store it.
Any competent 'practicing data cruncher' has scraping skills.

Including being able to scrape/convert the EQUIBASE PDF result files. And certainly the GPS result files. All the rest are paying for data and using someone else's program to analyze it.

Why would EQUIBASE make its data FREE and easy to use? Of course, data in any format would present a challenge to those lacking basic skills.
denniswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2024, 04:48 PM   #45
TrifectaBox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Posts: 37
Yes, well, I've been scraping internet data for 30 years so the concept is not lost on me.
TrifectaBox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2023 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.