Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
46zilzal
velocitician

Baze, no wonder he's tops

I have re-introduced myself in watching Russel Baze and have to conclude there nothing flashy yet there is TONS of competence expressed in each ride. He lulls the others to sleep often and then surprises then with another move....

Carl Baze trained up here in the Pacific Northwest, Gary was a leading rider many times at Longacres, then there are Tyler and the others......a going concern in the racing game.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Greyfox

Excellent Jockey but....

Any jockey who rides over 4,000 winners has to have a lot of talent and moxie.
However, Russel's main victories are in Northern California.
It is doubtful that he would have been half as successful competing in the So Cal circuit imo.
Unfortunately at Golden Gate you don't need to buy a program to find out what horse R. Baze is on. Just look at the tote board. He murders the odds.

(Years ago I read where Gary and Scott Stevens are also related to the Baze family. I haven't found any sites on the net that provide evidence of that though.)

Last edited by Greyfox; 10-30-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
toetoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Any jockey who rides over 4,000 winners has to have a lot of talent and moxie.
So you agree with the threadstarter. .
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
Greyfox

Yes.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
GaryG
Unreconstructed

I don't know what % of favorites Russell has been on for the last 20 years or so. When Pincay was winning his races in SoCal he got good mounts, of course, but he was going head to head with some of the finest riders in the country. Russell is a great rider, I'm just sayin...he may not by a Pincay or a Shoe.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
JohnGalt1

Baze is like the poker pro who sees a 500-1000 dollar hold'em table filled with players with world series bracelets and another 100-200 dollar table with only decent players. He knows he has the ability to win 3 times as many pots in the lower limit game.

I know it's only one day, but he rode $17 and $23 winners at this year's Claiming Crown. He rode against Theriot, Leparoux, and Albarado in those races.

How often have you seen him bring in two longshot winners in one day?

On paper his horses were not the best, but there are fewer jockeys that judge pace better, and that work a 4K claimer has hard as an allowance horse.

I didn't have either winner, in fact he cost me some pick 3's and I don't play GG often because of the small fields.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Sorry 46, he is plain lucky. After all, in your own words, the jockey is just a passenger. Or you contradicting yourself....again?
Old 10-31-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
NoCal Boy

Russell has made a great living while enjoying a good family life in one of the best places in this country to live year round. How many jocks can make that claim? How many people can make that claim? He could have made more money elsewhere while winning fewer races, but at what personal price?

My guess is Russell Baze has had a more fulfilling, less stressful all around life than Pincay and Shoe combined, with more than enough material goodies to go around.

Think about it. Russell likely has been the most fortunate jockey in modern history. Good for him.
NoCal Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
It is doubtful that he would have been half as successful competing in the So Cal circuit imo.
You are right. He spent 3 years riding in so cal and couldn't make it.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats
Define "make it".

4000+ winners X purse money (?) x 10% = $$$$$$$$$$

I'd say he's made it quite well $$$ wise; which is what it's all about.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:05 PM   #11
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
Define "make it".

4000+ winners X purse money (?) x 10% = $$$$$$$$$$

I'd say he's made it quite well $$$ wise; which is what it's all about.
It was clear to me that Boats meant R. Baze couldn't make "it" in Southern California so he went north.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
how cliche
How Cliche

Russell Baze gives off the body language that he's on the best horse in every race he rides. I think that confidence is transferred to his mounts & therefore their performances are enhanced. He's also very stubborn on the lead and wins a lot of races others would not, like Edgar Prado once was.
how cliche is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
Pell Mell
Veteran

Equally good on front runner or closer and usually put himself in position to win. I can't recall seeing him make no move at all in a race. As a longshot bettor, he's a nightmare to me because he's usually the one to beat.
Pell Mell is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2009, 05:49 PM   #14
toetoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats

That's the kind of cursory "logic" present in the following brilliant conclusions:

* Pico Central was garbage because his craven connections ducked ( ) the B.C. Sprint;

* Curlin was common because he lost the Belmont Stakes to a filly, and because he only beat "sprinter" Hard Spun by four lengths in the B.C. Classic (thank you so much for this one, Mr. Alan Shuback);

Care to back up your conclusion with Mr. Baze's dismal figures for 1990-1992, or whichever stretch that was ?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 10-31-2009 at 07:13 PM.
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

What the hell part of "no political talk in the horse racing section" don't some of you understand? Especially those of you who have been here long enough to have seen me type this over and over again.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply