Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-22-2020, 01:27 AM   #781
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
How does this happen, I thought the Governor called the shots?
a county judge has executive orders in Texas?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #782
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Applebee's and the OG?!
Awww come on man
Do you deliver?
Old 05-22-2020, 03:52 PM   #783
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
a county judge has executive orders in Texas?
Yep......but get this. They aren’t even real Judges. It’s an elected job with no legal qualifications required.

Goes back to the days of Roy Bean. She cannot over-rule the Gov but she can scare people

Harris County might as well be Detroit
Old 05-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #784
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
This happen today in Houston, and I might as well shut the doors on my business.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/he...8-37e4a24a4cde

Business came to a standstill within an hour
200 deaths out of 4.7M people.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #785
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Making the most of a bad situation - MASKS

1. No need to shave anymore!
2. Saving tons of $$$ on mouthwash!
3. Can stick my tongue at anyone in the store
4. Can sing along with the car radio and not get caught
Old 05-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #786
clicknow

For those who seem outraged that people are getting unemployment that boosts their income, are you following the trends of what happens to this money??? And what will happen to it???

If you're not, then you should be. Because it will be a strong indicator of our economic recuperation down the line.

Right now, a lot of that $ went into temporary savings. To spend later.

Once we get covid under control, and people are more willing to resume a more normal life....... we're looking at a huge iceberg of spending money.

I guess some of you would prefer that people get no more $$ and their checking accounts will be down to nada. What do you think that scenario will do to any kind of recovery months from now?

IMHO, a quicker recovery depends on 2 things: we get our covid numbers down to point where people are more apt to want to do things that require spending money, and that people have money left to spend.

Cut them off at the knees though......yeah, such a great idea. Let Covid cases go up AND make sure people have no spending money.

I guess some people really do want to see the economy crash.

As I said earlier, I will be watching the speed at which different nations recover their economic health, and I suspect it will have some relationship to how they handled fiscal matters with their citizens.

I could be wrong about this. I will track it til the end of 2021 and into 2022 and I guess we will see.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-29-2020 at 04:09 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2020, 05:01 PM   #787
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
For those who seem outraged that people are getting unemployment that boosts their income, are you following the trends of what happens to this money??? And what will happen to it???

If you're not, then you should be. Because it will be a strong indicator of our economic recuperation down the line.

Once we get covid under control, and people are more willing to resume a more normal life....... we're looking at a huge iceberg of spending money.

I guess some of you would prefer that people get no more $$ and their checking accounts will be down to nada. What do you think that scenario will do to any kind of recovery months from now?

IMHO, a quicker recovery depends on 2 things: we get our covid numbers down to point where people are more apt to want to do things that require spending money, and that people have money left to spend.

Cut them off at the knees though......yeah, such a great idea. Let Covid cases go up AND make sure people have no spending money.

As I said earlier, I will be watching the speed at which different nations recover their economic health, and I suspect it will have some relationship to how they handled fiscal matters with their citizens.

I could be wrong about this. I will track it til the end of 2021 and into 2022 and I guess we will see.
I dont know man, a lot of that "Savings" money is going to be gone if we are looking at 25-30% unemployment.

My company has laid of 40% of the workforce, we did a look ahead meeting and staffing today and I think we are looking at another 20% cut coming up.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2020, 11:32 PM   #788
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

They are saving the money because they have had their hours cut, or they've been laid off entirely...

They're worried about paying bills now...not spending later...
Old 05-31-2020, 01:13 AM   #789
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post

A valid argument could also be made that the unemployed people will hoard their "saved cash" away...in fear that this scenario might repeat itself in the future. Sometimes it takes a situation like this to wake the citizens up to the realization that a sizable savings account stashed away in some bank is a MUST if a family is to maintain its sanity during a lengthy emergency. The average American has scant savings, and relies on his credit cards...whose "generosity" is subject to change. And we can't keep relying on the government to support us in a time of need. If this current nightmare doesn't convince people of the fact that they should be saving more money for the future...then NOTHING will.

In any case...the notion that the unemployed person should be receiving more money in unemployment than he/she did while working might be the strangest thing that I've ever heard.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:58 AM   #790
ElKabong

Epic residential real estate deals to be had in 12 to 24 months from now

In the mid 80s Texas suffered greatly when the oil industry went south. By 1988 you could get a helluva deal on nice homes here because of the devastating consequences of the local economy. People hung on to their homes for as long as they could but the economy was in the shitter and their mortgages were underwater

My wife and I planned to retire to east Texas late this year, but we're staying put in dfw for at least a year, then buy as many homes in that area as possible. It pains me Greatly to see people lose their savings, their homes... everything they worked a lifetime for. But this cycle has gone on for generations. Unbelievably great deals will be there to buy.

Regardless of how hard times are now, people need to invest and be patient. Wait for the right time to pounce, but this will be an epic opportunity
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2020, 09:43 AM   #791
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Epic residential real estate deals to be had in 12 to 24 months from now
Hopefully for places far away from major cities.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:06 PM   #792
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
A valid argument could also be made that the unemployed people will hoard their "saved cash" away...in fear that this scenario might repeat itself in the future.
Many valid arguments to be had, I'm sure.

My aim is not so much to make an argument as to WATCH mixed recovery cycles.

See how they fare and how it relates to restrictions, varied economic support and economic stimulus.

Can't make that determination now anyway, unless you have a crystal ball, so making an argument is premature
Old 05-31-2020, 06:33 PM   #793
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Hopefully for places far away from major cities.
Hasn't been the case in the past.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2020, 06:53 PM   #794
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Hasn't been the case in the past.
With work-from -home now a big deal, I predict the death of major cities.
No one need ever go there again.

This is good.
Cities are nothing but cesspools.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:39 PM   #795
clicknow

Quote:
It pains me Greatly to see people lose their savings, their homes... everything they worked a lifetime for.
Maybe, then, this would be a good time to not crow about how many places they once lived in you're going to buy up...right inside a topic that is not about that?

It's pretty commonly considered de rigeur to talk about how you're going to to take advantage of a crisis when that crisis is still ongoing.

At least, in most circles it would be considered so.

In a separate topic about investments, it may be more appropriate.

This one is called how is coronavirus affecting your life, and it's not filled with happy stories. Just reminding you of that.

I'm sure others will disagree......I'm fine with that, too.