Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #16
spiketoo

This is the same West, correct???

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...um-security-dq

West Gracious in Defeat After Maximum Security DQ
Owner expressed extreme pride in disqualified homebred runner.

For about 20 minutes, the greatest prize in Thoroughbred racing—winning the 145-year-old Kentucky Derby presented by Woodford Reserve (G1)—was realized by longtime owners Gary and Mary West. And then a disqualification of their first-place finisher Maximum Security for interference left them still seeking their first Derby win.

After all the drama had unfolded at Churchill Downs, Gary West reacted with a smile and a chuckle, most gracious in defeat.

"That's horse racing," West said while crossing back across the track from the Derby winner's circle. "Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes you win and you lose all in the same race."

West said he watched the race from the suites for owners. He was on the presentation stand at the Kentucky Derby winner's circle for most—if not all—of the review. West compared it to the famous introduction to ABC's "Wide World of Sports"—the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat "all within a 10-minute period of time."

West said he was "extremely proud" of Maximum Security. "He crossed the finish line first, but, like I said, I have not had a good opportunity to really look at what the stewards looked at on the thing," he said. "He must have done something much worse than what I was able to see because that was a 23-minute (objection)—and I knew after 15-20 minutes, things weren't looking good. They usually don't take that long if there's nothing involved. So we'll just have to look at it and see."

West said it was the longest review in which he'd ever been involved. While he hadn't seen the replay, he said he initially doubted an appeal would be filed of the stewards' decision that left his first-place finisher in 17th. A little later, West said they'd have to review the video before deciding, and then trainer Jason Servis said the connections are leaning toward an appeal.

With the disqualification, the Wests are winless in five Derby starts. Their best finish also came Saturday, as juvenile champion Game Winner was elevated to fifth position after the disqualification.
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #17
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
I have no investment in the career wishes of trainers, jockeys or owners.

There will be more races. Line them up, run them. I'll bet them. That's my offer.
I guess this can be said in the same breath for the recent events(deaths) at Santa Anita as well. I mean as long as they keep breeding, they will fill up the gates enough to continue racing.

No matter what happens, wonderful or tragic, horse racing will live on forever.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:48 PM   #18
GMB@BP

If Baffert does not run any of his horses, with OB out...no maximum security...this could be funny cide level preakness field.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 02:52 PM   #19
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip@DRF View Post
I guess this can be said in the same breath for the recent events(deaths) at Santa Anita as well. I mean as long as they keep breeding, they will fill up the gates enough to continue racing.

No matter what happens, wonderful or tragic, horse racing will live on forever.
The Santa Anita deaths have definitely hurt racing. I would think that the same people who are concerned about the horses' safety would be glad to see the Churchill stewards finally take a stand against dangerous riding.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #20
Grits

The reality in all of this is, young people want instant results, instant wealth. They lack patience. They won't learn handicapping a horse race. Not to mention, the competition for our entertainment spending.

Too, both of these families, the West and the Shields, are extraordinarily wealthy. Both of these men are self made billionaires. Mr. Shields died this past October before being able to see his horse raised to 2019 Kentucky Derby Winner. Both men and their families have been breeding and racing horses since about 1980. Country House is a homebred. Maximum Security is a homebred.

For as long as I can remember I've been seeing these names in the owners line of pps.

I don't think lack of bettors going forward will be any more of a problem than lack of owners. That is, unless, people continue to settle for pieces, ie partnerships. Those may carry the sport forward....who knows. One thing's for sure, bad press ain't ever good.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 03:09 PM   #21
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
You know who's going to the track today?
Everyone who turned $2 into $130 yesterday.

Suckers! We'll take it back by the 4th race!~
Are you kidding? THIS GAME’S EASY!!!!!!
(famous last words)
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #22
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Yeah, just like people will never bet on or watch another NFL game after the Saints got screwed in the playoffs last year, or the NBA admits missing calls in numerous playoff games, or 100 other things...some of you guys seriously need to watch another sport because controversial stuff like this happens A LOT, people who lost money bitch and moan, and life goes on.

The idea that Bill Mott will be booed at the Preakness was also seriously out of touch. No one drinking beer in the infield at the Preakness will know who Bill Mott is, much less boo him because his horse was placed first on a DQ.
We’ll see who’s right or wrong in two weeks.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #23
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Time to put this behind us and move ahead.
I see Belmont has 30-35 horses lined up to run today.....
Old 05-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #24
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
The reality in all of this is, young people want instant results, instant wealth. They lack patience. They won't learn handicapping a horse race. Not to mention, the competition for our entertainment spending.

Too, both of these families, the West and the Shields, are extraordinarily wealthy. Both of these men are self made billionaires. Mr. Shields died this past October before being able to see his horse raised to 2019 Kentucky Derby Winner. Both men and their families have been breeding and racing horses since about 1980. Country House is a homebred. Maximum Security is a homebred.

For as long as I can remember I've been seeing these names in the owners line of pps.

I don't think lack of bettors going forward will be any more of a problem than lack of owners. That is, unless, people continue to settle for pieces, ie partnerships. Those may carry the sport forward....who knows. One thing's for sure, bad press ain't ever good.
Too many horses' deaths are truly bad for the sport since anyone with half a heart knows this is a bad thing. As you see from the poll here half the people agree with the disqualification and see the stewards' decision as the right thing and overdue at the Derby. This controversy is getting racing a lot of coverage in an underreported sport - not all of it bad.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 03:17 PM   #25
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Time to put this behind us and move ahead.
I see Belmont has 30-35 horses lined up to run today.....
Let’s put them all in one race and make it a free-for-all! We can make a new wager called the Pick One.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:28 PM   #26
stlseeeek

Quote:
Gary West
Is an idiot, his horse nearly took out his other horse and several others. Only by luck did they not clip heels.

F him, it was the 100% right call, finally Stewards got balls to make the correct call on big stage.

There is no debate on this, it was a 100% DQ. Unlike when jockey makes the offense, the horse was the one who caused it.
stlseeeek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 03:52 PM   #27
Light
Veteran

I knew MS would be taken down. I bet him and I believe I own the world record for most DQ's.

That doesn't bother me in that it was the right call here as painful as that was. But in many instances the correct call is clearly not made and that is a huge turnoff for fans.

At one point I was getting dq'd so much I had to stop playing. If I get left up, I am shocked. Probably my Karma.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #28
Thomas Roulston

According to Richard Migliore, they should get rid of the auxiliary gate and build a 20-stall gate to get rid of that big space between posts and .

And I agree with him 120%.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #29
papillon

Yep, 17th and no purse is ggggrrrreeeaaatttt, to quote a cereal box tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
As a former hose owner this is a "NO CLASS", (California Chrome) in the moment response and I would hope they just apologize and move on. They did well with their 16k claimer.
Clearly the important factor to you is$16k claimer.

I have no dog in this fight. I walked away from the sport last Fall. I was at Endgame during the Derby, only to have my phone be texted too the verge of death.

This ain't playing well, and a dying sport doesn't get the same "time passe" mulliga.

people applauding this because horses may have gone down, where ya been for every 20 horse scrum to the 1st turn, esp. last year during a monsoon?

If it was Baffert/Smith no change.

Doesn't help it was Smarty Jones' trainer's brother that got dinged. And i don't even like Servis.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 06:54 PM   #30
Grits

This is gonna be bad. Behind the crash of the Russian airliner, the Derby DQ was the lead story on NBC's national newscast. Also thrown in was the Santa Anita horse's deaths, and the declining the sport is suffering. All this along with the nugget that Mr.West will appear on tomorrow's Today show.

Donna Brothers tries hard, telling the reporter, it was the right decision, etc. etc. I don't think the guy got it, not at all.

Thanks Mr.West, we'll look forward to your whining.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply