Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #91
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Isn’t it ironic that the people who have filled one PA thread after another over the years with every complaint and negative comment imaginable about the state of the horse racing game in N.A. are the same people that are so close-minded about making some positive suggested changes? Changes that just might offer some serious solutions to the game’s continued decline.

Someone has recently been using the term “Cliché”. Well from where I’m sitting the best cliché I could think of that relates to any positive outlook for the game based on some of the rhetoric here would be: “Misery Loves Company”.

I can truthfully say that from my personal experience in playing for many decades, that had it not been for the discovery of Hong Kong racing I would have quit the game entirely at least 5 years ago. However, I’m not going to bore the skeptics and naysayers with any more of my positive reactions to the HK game.
Not knowing what its all about is their loss.

Still trolling.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2019, 01:07 PM   #92
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Isn’t it ironic that the people who have filled one PA thread after another over the years with every complaint and negative comment imaginable about the state of the horse racing game in N.A. are the same people that are so close-minded about making some positive suggested changes? Changes that just might offer some serious solutions to the game’s continued decline.

Someone has recently been using the term “Cliché”. Well from where I’m sitting the best cliché I could think of that relates to any positive outlook for the game based on some of the rhetoric here would be: “Misery Loves Company”.

I can truthfully say that from my personal experience in playing for many decades, that had it not been for the discovery of Hong Kong racing I would have quit the game entirely at least 5 years ago. However, I’m not going to bore the skeptics and naysayers with any more of my positive reactions to the HK game.
Not knowing what its all about is their loss.
I agree. I did stop betting several years ago until I started following HK.

It's not for everyone. The hours are difficult. However, it is only two days per week. So it is manageable.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #93
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Still trolling.
Is that the limit to your vocabulary? Unfortunately, you have no clue as what it actually means.
But for you to even respond to my reply to another member indicates your ambivalence to the entire topic.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #94
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

NYRA needs to replace one turf course at teach plant with a poly track, IMHO, if they insist on running so many turf races.

How's that for a suggestion?
Tapeta would be okay...Polytrack is crap particularly in temperature extremes...maintenance is difficult as well, it stinks sticks and is dirty, trust me I still have stains on my pants when I went out to clean the photofinish mirror
Old 04-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #95
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I just use "poly" to mean any artificial surface - force of habit.
But yes, agree Tapeta is the best out there.

I have no hesitation playing horses on artificial off of their turf lines. Not the other way around, though.

Anything is better than 5 horse field with 2 MTOs in it, both under 2-1.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:49 PM   #96
Thomas Roulston

This article appeared on a sports website recently:

https://www.sports-central.org/sport...to_implode.php
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2019, 02:12 AM   #97
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60566 View Post
Is there anything you can suggest from the Hong Kong model which would reduce the current concerns in North American horse racing at this present time. ?
Yours is a good approach. There doesn't have to be a 1:1 duplication, because as others have pointed out, U.S. racing and HK racing are very different.

However, by not "reinventing the wheel", one can take any model and adopt some of the good things from it and toss what doesn't work.

I think Jeff Platt had some good specifics which show up in his screenshot links here, back in 2014 on the HANA website:
http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/hkjcmodel.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
I'm maxxed out on being nicer to horses.

What am I supposed to do?

I think being nicer to horses actually interprets into being nicer to bettors.

Bettors not having to handicap drugs, for instance, is going to yield better results for them.

It's not any one thing that is going to "fix" U.S. racing. The point is to make a small start on some stuff that WILL help.

And, Nitro and Highnote would not be the only people "I know of" who have quit wagering on U.S. racing. In my circle of horse racing friends, who have been passionately in the game for 20+ years, there are actually 3 who walked away this year and last and only wager foreign races. I think that's a very bad sign.....I mean, when you have huge fans of our sport who are not just "adding" HK and other racing to their plate, but literally leaving U.S. racing altogether, I think that means there's a problem that needs to be solved. We need to know the specific things that would "bring them back into the fold".

Calling them trolls isn't exactly going to accomplish that.

Last edited by clicknow; 07-03-2019 at 02:21 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2019, 12:58 PM   #98
airford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
It's sort of a shame that people outside the industry may be associating Lasix with horses breaking down at SA, but personally I think it's a welcomed change to have our stakes races being run clean.
Are we implying that the use of Lasix is covering other illegal drugs?
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #99
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
Are we implying that the use of Lasix is covering other illegal drugs?
Here's a better question.....If there's an 8 horse race, and 2 of the horses are running without Lasix, do you think they're at a disadvantage?
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #100
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Here's a better question.....If there's an 8 horse race, and 2 of the horses are running without Lasix, do you think they're at a disadvantage?
No. The trainer wouldn't be running without Lasix if they thought they'd be at a disadvantage.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #101
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
No. The trainer wouldn't be running without Lasix if they thought they'd be at a disadvantage.
Sorry FF, but you're giving trainers waaaayy too much credit....You were joking, right?
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2019, 01:41 PM   #102
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
.......I think being nicer to horses actually interprets into being nicer to bettors.

Bettors not having to handicap drugs, for instance, is going to yield better results for them.......
How does no drugs yield better results? If the absence of drugs makes racing more form-full then bettors will lose any no-drug benefits through lower mutuel payoffs.

There are many reasons to support changes to drug rules in racing with the horses safety being the top priority.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:15 PM   #103
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
How does no drugs yield better results? If the absence of drugs makes racing more form-full then bettors will lose any no-drug benefits through lower mutuel payoffs.

There are many reasons to support changes to drug rules in racing with the horses safety being the top priority.
That statement is correct.

Only veterinarians can legally prescribe medicine, yet they often let trainers, who are paid to win races, make medical decisions, including which drugs to use. These veterinarians also have a powerful financial incentive to prescribe drugs: they are both doctor and drugstore, and so the more drugs they prescribe, the more money they make. Selling and administering drugs, in fact, accounts for most of their income.

Is it any wonder that our industry is being criticized for being overmedicated?” said Stuart S. Janney III, chairman of the Thoroughbred Safety Committee of the Jockey Club, an influential industry group.

Full article

http://blog.horseracingreform.com/po...h-nut-to-crack

Last edited by bob60566; 07-03-2019 at 05:20 PM.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2019, 07:27 PM   #104
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60566 View Post
That statement is correct.

Only veterinarians can legally prescribe medicine, yet they often let trainers, who are paid to win races, make medical decisions, including which drugs to use. These veterinarians also have a powerful financial incentive to prescribe drugs: they are both doctor and drugstore, and so the more drugs they prescribe, the more money they make. Selling and administering drugs, in fact, accounts for most of their income.

Is it any wonder that our industry is being criticized for being overmedicated?” said Stuart S. Janney III, chairman of the Thoroughbred Safety Committee of the Jockey Club, an influential industry group.

Full article

http://blog.horseracingreform.com/po...h-nut-to-crack
If there is a rampant drug safety problem what exactly is this committee influencing?
Old 07-03-2019, 07:47 PM   #105
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
If there is a rampant drug safety problem what exactly is this committee influencing?

If you ever find out let us all know another committee that will not rock the boat for its members
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply