Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-18-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
20 of the leading tracks announce plans to phase out race-day meds

Bloodhorse.com | by Frank Angst | 04-18-2019 6:33 PM
Tracks Plan to Phase Out Lasix, Horsemen Share Concerns:
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...share-concerns

Quote:
In what would be a significant change in how 2-year-old races and stakes races are conducted in the United States, 20 of the leading tracks announced plans April 18 to phase out the use of race-day medication beginning with juvenile races next year and then adding listed and graded stakes beginning in 2021.

The proposal to end the use of furosemide (Salix, commonly called Lasix) has support from some leading industry groups but also saw opposition and concerns raised by horsemen's groups and regulators.

Lasix is administered to prevent exercise-induced pulmonary hemorrhage, but its use is out of line with other major international racing jurisdictions. On Thursday, a coalition of leading Thoroughbred racing organizations announced plans to move closer to that standard.

Coalition racetracks that signed on to the initiative include all tracks owned or operated by Churchill Downs Inc., the New York Racing Association, and The Stronach Group, as well as Del Mar, Keeneland, Lone Star Park, Remington Park, Los Alamitos Racecourse (Thoroughbred meets), Oaklawn Park, and Tampa Bay Downs. Taken together, the tracks represent 86% of graded or listed stakes races in the U.S. in 2018.
Imo, if you're going to do away with race-day meds, a phase out, as opposed to a one time outright ban, makes sense.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 04-18-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
Afleet

I would think the lasix allowed venues will get increased field sizes which will lead to increased handle
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
Afleet

Banning 2 y/o racing would help more than banning lasix. 2 y/o's are not developed
Old 04-19-2019, 12:13 AM   #4
Suff
Beat up 💪

In a previous wordspittin post, I raised ridiculous ideas you could come up with if it was a hail-mary to trigger a rebirth in Racing as a sport or it died.

Like if racing was either dead this year, or it lived and thrived another 100 years. no idea to much.

I suggested cloning, dna and gene splitting, artificial limbs, and other ideas.

Isn't the consensus that bleeding is a recessive gene?

Pretty sure, with all the advancements we know that its a genetic mutation.

And we can likely edit the gene out. Hail Mary, Jesus and Joseph.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 12:48 AM   #5
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
I would think the lasix allowed venues will get increased field sizes which will lead to increased handle
Afleet

I think you might be correct With lasix being allowed, And maybe less race day testing would make it more favorable for some trainers to head to these tracks to continue there trade. ?
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 05:14 AM   #6
biggestal99

Quote:
No lasix horses get more starts.

Less recovery time.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #7
classhandicapper

It's sort of a shame that people outside the industry may be associating Lasix with horses breaking down at SA, but personally I think it's a welcomed change to have our stakes races being run clean.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
It's sort of a shame that people outside the industry may be associating Lasix with horses breaking down at SA, but personally I think it's a welcomed change to have our stakes races being run clean.
Agree with you, however, 85% of the races run are not covered. Another way for racing to say "Look what we did" and really not change much.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2019, 12:15 AM   #9
deelo

Surprised this thread isn't blowing up like facebook and twitter.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:31 AM   #10
deelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
In a previous wordspittin post, I raised ridiculous ideas you could come up with if it was a hail-mary to trigger a rebirth in Racing as a sport or it died.

Like if racing was either dead this year, or it lived and thrived another 100 years. no idea to much.

I suggested cloning, dna and gene splitting, artificial limbs, and other ideas.

Isn't the consensus that bleeding is a recessive gene?

Pretty sure, with all the advancements we know that its a genetic mutation.

And we can likely edit the gene out. Hail Mary, Jesus and Joseph.
The American Vet College of IM put out recommendations in 2014 i think it was that IEPH (or bleeding) is classified as a disease and that racehorses cannot just develop it due to strenuous exercise.

In my mind, this would stand to reason that a 2020 ban of 2 yr olds already born is rushed and short-sighted, especially since there's no correlation in Lasix with breakdowns.

If you really wanted to phase it out, their recommendations seem to point at starting with the breeding pool. Classify pedigree lines according to bleeding stage of offspring and begin to improve the pool.

Phase out Lasix over the course of a generation gradually. Give tracks the power to offer Lasix ON and OFF races during the transition until eventually ON races are no longer offered.

In the meantime, stop running distractions by blaming Lasix when we all know the track surface is directly related to breakdown rate.

Also, I have no training or breeding credits to my name so this is all just a casual bettor bouncing ideas around based off research so I'm okay taking criticism.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Agree with you, however, 85% of the races run are not covered. Another way for racing to say "Look what we did" and really not change much.
It could turn out that way, but it's also the only way a ban could take place. You have to start with horses that never ran on it (like 2-year-olds). It really does have to be phased in.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #12
castaway01

Quote:
Banning 2 y/o racing would help more than banning lasix. 2 y/o's are not developed
I don't care if I ever bet on another 2-year-old race, but this is factually incorrect. Two-year-old racing is not a new development, and 100 years ago 2-year-olds ran more than now, not less. It's not the cause of any of these problems; breeding and overmedicating unsound horses is.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I don't care if I ever bet on another 2-year-old race, but this is factually incorrect. Two-year-old racing is not a new development, and 100 years ago 2-year-olds ran more than now, not less. It's not the cause of any of these problems; breeding and overmedicating unsound horses is.

So correct and when will they ever learn.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #14
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
I totally agree. People are in dream land or just lying to themselves to even suggest that modern breeding tactics and drugs make these horses more durable . I don’t care how old they are. Then to suggest horses run too much at age 2 ? Are you F’in kidding me???!!! They run maybe 3 times and some of these Derby horses didn’t start until they were 3. Total bs excuse. Let’s see how many defections there are in the next two weeks. Hopefully, the top 20 all make it.

The other thing I don’t think people realize is the top 20 tracks run 86% of the stakes races. In other words Lasix horses are running for 14% of the stakes races. And you can bet your bottom dollar tracks that don’t comply will come under pressure. There could even come threats of downgrade if all of this comes to pass. People seem not to realize that the numbers point to these drugs have not done a God Damn thing to help the breed. They probably have set it back. This has been a crutch and a trap from the start. Why did they crack down on human athletes? Cause it was good for them ? Or did it make people sick and is cheating. Give me a break .
Agree with you except for one thing. (You used the word probably.)
Quote:
"They probably have set it back."

Definitely, absolutely.

Imo, those two words more accurately describe the ongoing damage done to the sport as opposed to probably.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 04-20-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #15
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60566 View Post
Afleet

I think you might be correct With lasix being allowed, And maybe less race day testing would make it more favorable for some trainers to head to these tracks to continue there trade. ?
I'm against the trainers that are cheating-didn't mean to come off like an apologist for cheaters

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: