Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #31
Thomas Roulston

The virtually non-existent run-up for 6-furlong races is regarded by many as a major drawback at Pimlico. A track record of 1:09 for 6f? It gives Pimlico a "Mickey Mouse" aura: The track record for 6 furlongs at Turf Paradise - Turf Paradise! - is 1:06 2/5 (actually 1:06.49).

And at least The Racetrack Formerly Known As Calder (Gulfstream Park West) - 6f track record: 1:08 3/5 (1:08.72) - has one of the safest dirt surfaces in the industry.

Is Pimlico noted for its safety?

Somehow I doubt that Barbaro's owner thinks so.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 08:53 AM   #32
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Maybe they need to install an auxiliary grandstand.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #33
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
That was my first Preakness. Spectacular Bid...

3 months old, infield at the 1/8 pole w/ father, mother, uncle, friends.

Supposedly the infield crowd✌️🎸🍺🐎 was pushing towards the vantage point before/during the race.

*Spoiler* I survived.
Oh yeah, I remember you!
Old 05-06-2019, 10:00 AM   #34
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
The virtually non-existent run-up for 6-furlong races is regarded by many as a major drawback at Pimlico. A track record of 1:09 for 6f? It gives Pimlico a "Mickey Mouse" aura: The track record for 6 furlongs at Turf Paradise - Turf Paradise! - is 1:06 2/5 (actually 1:06.49).

And at least The Racetrack Formerly Known As Calder (Gulfstream Park West) - 6f track record: 1:08 3/5 (1:08.72) - has one of the safest dirt surfaces in the industry.

You’re comparing apples to oranges. For decades Turf Paradise was as hard as concrete, $3,500 claimers there were doing 1:08.2 on the regular. Heck, YOU could run 1:09 there! But they had to completely renovate the track because when it would rain the track would become a quagmire, most of the times they would have to cancel. I remember one day when I was there and I watched a one mile allowance race on a wet track labeled slow (Bob Weems was calling there, that’s how long ago this was). They went 6f in 1:23.4 and a mile in 1:58. You could barely see the horse’s knees they were in it so deep. They even had days when all of the races would be transferred from the main track to the turf.

Last edited by Zman179; 05-06-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #35
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
You’re comparing apples to oranges. For decades Turf Paradise was as hard as concrete, $3,500 claimers there were doing 1:08.2 on the regular. Heck, YOU could run 1:09 there! But they had to completely renovate the track because when it would rain the track would become a quagmire, most of the times they would have to cancel. I remember one day when I was there and I watched a one mile allowance race on a wet track labeled slow (Bob Weems was calling there, that’s how long ago this was). They went 6f in 1:23.4 and a mile in 1:58. You could barely see the horse’s knees they were in it so deep. They even had days when all of the races would be transferred from the main track to the turf.
Was that race a pace or a trot?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #36
Thomas Roulston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post

I was comparing Pimlico to Calder/GPW more than Turf Paradise - and I remember the dirt to turf switches at TuP too.

But just about every A-level track or even B-level track has a faster 6-furlong track record than Pimlico: Monmouth's is 1:07 2/5 (1:07.47), Parx's is 1:07 3/5, even Canterbury Park's is 1:08 (1:08.04).

Are those tracks "hard as concrete" too?
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #37
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Oh yeah, I remember you!
true story

I was the short guy with a bottle of milk and a stack of tickets trying to beat The Bid.

Things have changed.

No longer allow you to bring in your own coolers...
You can't get in along the 1/8 pole like you used to be able to...
and hopefully no one brings an infant to the infield anymore. Not sure what the hell they were thinking. If they on this earth I'd ask.

Quote:

c'mon man *thumbsdown*

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 05-06-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #38
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
I was comparing Pimlico to Calder/GPW more than Turf Paradise - and I remember the dirt to turf switches at TuP too.

But just about every A-level track or even B-level track has a faster 6-furlong track record than Pimlico: Monmouth's is 1:07 2/5 (1:07.47), Parx's is 1:07 3/5, even Canterbury Park's is 1:08 (1:08.04).

Are those tracks "hard as concrete" too?
Of course not, but those tracks also have the advantage of a running start up to the teletimer beam. Nonetheless, Pimlico will be a bulldozed lot within five years so it makes no sense to make any improvements to it. Stronach wants all of the races at Laurel and I’ll think they’ll eventually get it.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: