Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #31
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
The next question is, are all fouls the same? Theoretically, sure. In reality, not a chance.

In the NBA, is anyone surprised when there's mild contact at the end of a game but no foul call? How about the end of game Hail Marys in the NFL where one could argue interference against multiple players on both sides?

Is a DQ more likely to occur in a maiden claiming race on a Thursday afternoon than in a grade 1? No doubt about it. And in any race, are stewards more hesitant to take down a winner, than a horse from 3rd to 5th? No doubt about it. That's just the way it is, and we have accepted it.

Having said that, I still like the idea of DQs only affecting distribution of the purse. Nice and black and white with no guesswork for the public.
Augenj is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #32
bugboy

question

I was just asked a question from a NASCAR fan.why arent the jocks in communication with the trainer during a race? ie: stay in two path. #4 is right behind u..you r 2 lengths ahead .
nascar, can block, nuge, and bump

I know some will say this is the most stupid question ever asked on here.
but i told him i will ask the experts.
please dont laugh, thanks
bugboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #33
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post

Thanks Mr.West, we'll look forward to your whining.
You know...you say that....but if had been a Baffert or Pletcher or even Mott....said horse STAYS up...period....seen it many times...
Old 05-05-2019, 08:51 PM   #34
airford1

No the reference for me is that they raised a home bred and raced him 3 times before any of them thought the horse was top quality and to win the Kentucky Derby was a gift from the Gods. That being said if they ( Owners, Trainer, and Excersice Rider) had an once of Horsemanship someone would of thought little more of the horse before the 16k entry. They should of had Luis on the horse in a race prior to the Derby and things might have turned out better. The failure of the WHOLE TEAM to recognize some potential in this young horse is where they failed. At first I thought they needed to leave Max up, but in review of the amount of race track he used verified the DQ was right. Gary and Mary West need to apologize for acting the fool with a Law suit. JMO.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 10:23 PM   #35
AMPHAR

I don’t know why but if they threaten an appeal it would like feel more like crybaby actions if they don’t show up to compete next time.

I feel the derby was stolen. I got no problem with them putting forth their opinion because there has been no shortage of apologists pulling out the letter of law talk to defend a winner that wasn’t even effected, but you better show up and compete next chance.

If that happens there will be more buzz for the Preakness since maybe since Easy Goer/Sunday Silence.
AMPHAR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 05:21 AM   #36
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
I knew MS would be taken down. I bet him and I believe I own the world record for most DQ's.

That doesn't bother me in that it was the right call here as painful as that was. But in many instances the correct call is clearly not made and that is a huge turnoff for fans.

At one point I was getting dq'd so much I had to stop playing. If I get left up, I am shocked. Probably my Karma.

My percentage is at least 77% being DQ'd when I bet the winner and/or not being DQ'd when I needed it to happen to cash (Bayern in the Breeder's Cup). This DQ only cost me a few hundred. When War of Will made his move, I briefly thought I was in for a big payday. The ensuing bumping brought me back to reality. I would get nothing and like it.

RR
Old 05-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #37
Thomas Roulston

The letter of the law is not the issue in this case. To DQ or not to DQ a horse because its actions may have cost another horse a purse-paying placing - try saying that real fast, ten times in a row! - and whether a horse should be DQ'd if its actions did not affect the purse distribution - is.

Another factor is the omerta that exists among the jockeys, one of its tenets being that you don't try to screw a fellow jockey if you have no chance of benefiting yourself by doing so. We saw this in the 1983 Belmont, when Greg McCarron, rider of Au Point, who finished 10th, never claimed foul against the winner, Caveat, despite the fact that Laffit Pincay, rider of Caveat, bulled his way through a razor-thin opening on the rail at about the quarter pole. A stewards inquiry was conducted, with no change being made.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: