Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #16
ldiatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
"While my office does not have the authority to make the final decision in this case, I do feel confident that once all of the facts are relayed to the Prosciutto, Felony charges are unlikely.”

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #17
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
As a jury isn't it their job to rule on the facts and not on the merits?
There is a legal tradition known as Jury Nullification in which a jury finds a defendant not guilty of a crime that defendant has clearly committed if they feel the law is unjust or the punishment does not fit the crime.

Some folks on here have suggested a plea bargain involving community service and restitution. That would be a possible solution.

On theRail posted this:
3-5 slices per day lets say average 4X260=1,040 lets say about 20 per lb that's 52lbs of ham in a years time or $363.48 @ $6.99 per pound.
That's $3271.32 over nine years which is considerably less than the $9020.00 claimed in the story. Maybe she added the occasional small salad and a cappuchino. (however you spell that.)

I apologize that I did not make clear that the store was not watching her for nine years. Apparently someone complained that she kept taking "samples" and claimed she had been doing so for a long time. The store then began surveilling her and turned her over to police. In my opinion they will have a tough time proving anything which happened before they started the surveillance.

Still, I think charging someone with a felony for something which is at best petty theft is ridiculous.

One more thing, I got this story off the radio and only heard it once. The details are as I remembered but may not be perfectly accurate.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #18
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
Depends on the facts, e.g. customary perks of the job, lack of warnings to the employee, etc. but on face value I would not convict.
I would not only not convict, I would suggest the store owner be arrested and charged with felony assholiness. What the heck was that hump doing for 20 years?

The stupidity of some people never amazes me.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #19
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
There is a legal tradition known as Jury Nullification in which a jury finds a defendant not guilty of a crime that defendant has clearly committed if they feel the law is unjust or the punishment does not fit the crime.

Some folks on here have suggested a plea bargain involving community service and restitution. That would be a possible solution.

On theRail posted this:
3-5 slices per day lets say average 4X260=1,040 lets say about 20 per lb that's 52lbs of ham in a years time or $363.48 @ $6.99 per pound.
That's $3271.32 over nine years which is considerably less than the $9020.00 claimed in the story. Maybe she added the occasional small salad and a cappuchino. (however you spell that.)

I apologize that I did not make clear that the store was not watching her for nine years. Apparently someone complained that she kept taking "samples" and claimed she had been doing so for a long time. The store then began surveilling her and turned her over to police. In my opinion they will have a tough time proving anything which happened before they started the surveillance.

Still, I think charging someone with a felony for something which is at best petty theft is ridiculous.

One more thing, I got this story off the radio and only heard it once. The details are as I remembered but may not be perfectly accurate.
I was basing it off a 5 day work week... and normal slices... maybe she was cutting them extra thick... anyways the whole thing is... if they did not warn her and just placed the cameras for a gotcha moment...then I hope this lady looks like Aunt Bee. And they have a PR back lash for acting like swine over its...

Edited to add you first post claimed 20 years so that is 7269.60 but if in fact it was everyday that would move the cost to a bit over 9400 at today's price.

Last edited by OntheRail; 09-11-2018 at 04:27 PM.
OntheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #20
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:

On theRail posted this:

The $9k is hyperbole to make the story. As pointed out most of the theft, if it is theft, would be covered by a statute of limitations barring prosecution. However, felony theft depending on the state could be for amounts as little as $300. Therefore, technically she could be prosecuted for felony theft during the surveillance period.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #21
Ocala Mike

If it was Boar's Head and I were the defense, I'd go for mitigating circumstances. That stuff is primo!

Anyway, this case is a lot of baloney, so not guilty!
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #22
AndyC

Quote:
I wouldn't exactly call it a tradition. Shouldn't the outcome best be handled in the sentencing phase?
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #23
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I would not only not convict, I would suggest the store owner be arrested and charged with felony assholiness. What the heck was that hump doing for 20 years?

The stupidity of some people never amazes me.
The voice of reason!
Old 09-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #24
sammy the sage

Pretty damn obvious from all the comments that MOST of you have NEVER owned a business yourselves...that said...no way a conviction...just fire her with no unemployment claims possible...end of story...
Old 09-11-2018, 10:27 PM   #25
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage View Post
Pretty damn obvious from all the comments that MOST of you have NEVER owned a business yourselves...that said...no way a conviction...just fire her with no unemployment claims possible...end of story...
Another great humanitarian.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:43 PM   #26
HalvOnHorseracing

I'd say if it is just ham, the penalty should be light, but if there was bread, cheese, and mustard involved, that's a different story.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2018, 10:47 PM   #27
thaskalos

I picture a long-time grocery employee slicing cold-cuts in some deli for 8-10 hours a day...and then I see her put a single slice of salami in her mouth every 2 hours or so. And for that...I should accuse her of "grand theft", and drag her through the legal system? Wow...

Last edited by thaskalos; 09-11-2018 at 11:42 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #28
JustRalph
Just another Facist

If somebody works for me 20 years, there is no way I prosecute them. The amount of money made off her labor over those years would entitle her to eat a whole damn hog.......
Old 09-11-2018, 11:02 PM   #29
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
If somebody works for me 20 years, there is no way I prosecute them. The amount of money made off her labor over those years would entitle her to eat a whole damn hog.......
I agree... after 20 yrs most are heading into retirement .. If I owned it I would have a party and instead of a watch I'd give her a spiral cut ham.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:19 PM   #30
thaskalos

True story:

A well known Chicago-area independent grocer, who owned and operated 3 large grocery stores, would often brag to the other grocery store operators -- myself included -- about what a hard-line owner he was...and how he would fire any of his employees who dared put even a single piece of fruit in their mouth without paying for it. Well...the cycle of fortune turned, as it sometimes does...and this "hard-line" owner was rendered completely broke and on the verge of homelessness...as a result of some misguided real-estate investments that he made. His desperate state led him to my own store...where he asked me for a job for him and his son. I told him that I would be glad to offer them work...as long as I never caught them putting anything in their mouth on the job without paying for it. He became red out of embarrassment...and confessed to me that he had been an asshole as a boss. "Yes", I told him. "But, isn't it strange that you had to go broke in order to realize that?".

I sincerely hope that the grocery store owner of this thread experiences the same turn of fortune.

Last edited by thaskalos; 09-11-2018 at 11:29 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply