Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Old 01-06-2018, 06:15 AM   #16
lamboguy

the market expands because someone or a group of someones thinks the underlying equities are worth more or will be worth more than the current price of the equity. the fed could raise rates to 100% and as long as a company can sell their goods and services for a bigger profit, it won't drag that equity down without the perception that the future will be bad.

the reason the markets have been on a tear is that there are other parts of the world that are consuming goods and services that they have never bought before, like Africa and Asia. once these area's become saturated, company's will have to find other area's to sell too. it could be the moon or some other planet!

since markets are correlated to the size of the population of the world and opening up their products to new parts we can understand what will bring the markets down. if there is going to be a bad war that wipes out tens of millions of people or a disease that takes people out we will see markets implode. everything else like changes in fed policies is nothing but hiccups to markets.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2018, 06:32 PM   #17
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
the market expands because someone or a group of someones thinks the underlying equities are worth more or will be worth more than the current price of the equity. the fed could raise rates to 100% and as long as a company can sell their goods and services for a bigger profit, it won't drag that equity down without the perception that the future will be bad.

the reason the markets have been on a tear is that there are other parts of the world that are consuming goods and services that they have never bought before, like Africa and Asia. once these area's become saturated, company's will have to find other area's to sell too. it could be the moon or some other planet!

since markets are correlated to the size of the population of the world and opening up their products to new parts we can understand what will bring the markets down. if there is going to be a bad war that wipes out tens of millions of people or a disease that takes people out we will see markets implode. everything else like changes in fed policies is nothing but hiccups to markets.
Who kidnapped Lambo and wrote this?
Old 01-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #18
Ocala Mike

Or you could take the approach that the market has been correcting for the past 9 years. An external geopolitical event is what it will take to bring it down.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2018, 01:54 AM   #19
lamboguy

there has not been a significant correction in the last 9 years of going up. i have never liked the volume characteristics over those 9 big years. just last week we got a terrible jobs number and what do the markets do? why of course they go up to all-time highs and no sight of anything to stop it from going higher.

there are trillions of dollars offshore legally and illegally, ready to come back to the shores of this country that will boost the markets to even further heights. dow 30,000 for sure, maybe 40 or 40 thousand too. this could happen fast or it could take some time like 5 or 6 years, but its happening. even though there will come a day when these markets implode more than it went up the last 9 years, its not about to happen for at least 4 years imho and probably longer.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:38 AM   #20
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
Or you could take the approach that the market has been correcting for the past 9 years. An external geopolitical event is what it will take to bring it down.
or a crazy North Korean......
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #21
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
or a crazy North Korean......
If the crazy North Korean hurls an A-bomb into Japan, yes the market will take a hit.

But if he hurls it into NYC then it won't really matter what the market does, now will it?
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #22
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
If the crazy North Korean hurls an A-bomb into Japan, yes the market will take a hit.

But if he hurls it into NYC then it won't really matter what the market does, now will it?
I really cant answer that cause I live in NYC
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #23
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
I really cant answer that cause I live in NYC
I'd love to offer you my place as a safe refuge, Mike, but I live less than 90 miles away!

You're still welcome, anytime.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #24
lamboguy

the dow went up another 300 points and still looks mighty strong to me. this whole run from 14,000 has looked as legit as can be. below the 14,000 has some pretty shaky times, but to get there from here is next to impossible for the foreseeable future. i know nothing goes up all the time,and nothing goes down all the time either, but this thing is a locomotive that i would never want to step in front of. there must be plenty of shorts in this market on their way to getting cleaned out.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:25 PM   #25
Ocala Mike

What lambo said - "Don't fight the tape"!

Of course, it's mostly a Dow and tech rally - my little stocks are hardly moving.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #26
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
What lambo said - "Don't fight the tape"!

Of course, it's mostly a Dow and tech rally - my little stocks are hardly moving.
It's way, way more than just the 'tape', but I understand that sentiment too.

Your little stocks, OcalaMike ... are they real companies? If so, then just maybe you just have the wrong stocks.

here are a couple of small caps that still sell at a fraction of their intrinsic value, with great free cash flow, STRONG sales and earnings growth, and still priced cheaply, to boot. aND of most importance, basically still ignored by the market.

In no particular order:

Tegna
(TGNA), $15.03 closed today, $3.3 billion mkt cap, 1.85% div. yield

Sinclair Broadcasting (SGBI), $39.15 closed today, $4.0 b mkt cap, 1.83% div. yield

USG Inc. (USG), $39.30 closed today, $5.47 b mkt cap, zero div.

Old Republic
(ORI), $20.28 closed today, $5.3 b mkt cap, 3.76% div. yield

Discovery Communications
(DISCA), $24.70, closed today, $9.3 b mkt cap, zero div.

Plus, there are companies still very much ridiculously inexpensive previously mentioned by me previously. They are:

Apple (APPL), Gilead Sciences (GILD), United Therapeutics (UTHR), First American Financial (FAF), Fidelity National (FNF), and Viacom (VIAB).

Good luck.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #27
lamboguy

everyone always has their doubts about things. but what if all this is real, the job market improving for the past 8 years, the money being repatriated, the money that has been made in the markets the real estate values are all real?

this would first mean that the price of precious metals are correct today or maybe on the high side, a chunk could be paid down on the national debt. before he got elected Trump said he was going to do all these things. maybe he is capable of accomplishing what he said he would. this past few weeks there have been a few cracks like the employment numbers and rising rates.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #28
Ocala Mike

I took profits in Novavax and Tandem recently after they surged on guidance and such.

I am long Twitter and an educational software company called Instructure.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #29
reckless
Veteran

Good luck Mike with your investments.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #30
Valuist

No point in trying to be the hero and call the top. It does look very bubbly, but as long as the charts are strong, can't fade it.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: