Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
spiketoo

We're just in it for the takeout - Joe Harper

Well not a direct quote to my knowledge but...

Pat O'Brien super. Per DM site:

A scratched horse may result in a refund.
No Superfecta wagering shall be conducted on any race (including stakes
races) having fewer than six (6) separate entries programmed.

I guess as-of Thu there were 8 'programmed'. Just doesn't say 'at what point' fewer than six. I know there were 4 scratches that reduced field to 4 but at what time(s) were they official?

So we're not gonna offer show wagering because there is a minimum and that would cause a negative pool and gasp, a loss of money for DM. But super? Well we get a big takeout there so c'mon in!

I get they fig the payout to $1 which looks like it came in at 5.10 but the charts sure are funny showing 10 cent payout at 51 cents. Tho I guess the more I think about it 4-1 is doable, just silly for a super.
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #2
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketoo View Post

I guess as-of Thu there were 8 'programmed'. Just doesn't say 'at what point' fewer than six. I know there were 4 scratches that reduced field to 4 but at what time(s) were they official?

So we're not gonna offer show wagering because there is a minimum and that would cause a negative pool and gasp, a loss of money for DM. But super? Well we get a big takeout there so c'mon in!

I get they fig the payout to $1 which looks like it came in at 5.10 but the charts sure are funny showing 10 cent payout at 51 cents. Tho I guess the more I think about it 4-1 is doable, just silly for a super.
In 1972 Hollywood Park made the Convenience-Typecast match race an exacta race with a higher takeout. And people bet it.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
Andy Asaro

Travesty. Meant to take advantage of people who don't know better. This should NEVER be allowed.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2018, 11:35 PM   #4
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketoo View Post

Uh, didn't your father buy you a program at any point during your horse racing infancy?

How can that be unclear?
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2018, 11:49 PM   #5
horses4courses

Caveat Emptor

Nevada has been doing the same thing for decades with sports book futures.
They still are.

Milking Joe Public on wagers with odds that any gambler with any sense knows are a complete rip off. Nothing has ever been done to stop it. Probably never will be, either. Opening lines are okay - then when they start taking money they cut......and cut.....and cut the odds until they might as well hold a gun in their hands behind the counter and say "Hey chump.....gives us your wallet for that Super Bowl wager you want to bring Uncle Jimmy back home for Christmas".

Daylight robbery.

Del Mar is not alone.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2018, 11:54 AM   #6
spiketoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post
Uh, didn't your father buy you a program at any point during your horse racing infancy?

How can that be unclear?
Actually my father passed long before I started my racing sojourn in the 80s.

Not sure exactly what you're saying here. Is it 'well, there are 8 entries in the program so we'll go with that number when applying our superfecta policy'?
If it is, then why not use that some logic for show betting?

If I misunderstood, can you clarify for me?
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #7
burnsy
self medicated

Don't worry...the Derby Futures will be out soon. Its a great bet! They line up to make that bet. I'll take So and so for 6-1....lol, Oh he got hurt. We keep it all. That one never ceases to amaze me but people love it. You lose 100% if they don't start? And people are betting horses under 30-1, what a bargain!
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #8
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Don't worry...the Derby Futures will be out soon. Its a great bet! They line up to make that bet. I'll take So and so for 6-1....lol, Oh he got hurt. We keep it all. That one never ceases to amaze me but people love it. You lose 100% if they don't start? And people are betting horses under 30-1, what a bargain!

Winning colors won the Derby in '88, and with a filly winning I thought maybe Lukas had another young filly who I could take a shot on in '89. Futures came out and I stuck $20 on a horse called Open Mind at 250-1....

Long story short, two weeks before the Derby, Lukas opts for the Oaks and blows my $5K score....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #9
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Winning colors won the Derby in '88, and with a filly winning I thought maybe Lukas had another young filly who I could take a shot on in '89. Futures came out and I stuck $20 on a horse called Open Mind at 250-1....

Long story short, two weeks before the Derby, Lukas opts for the Oaks and blows my $5K score....
And Open Mind was an excellent filly! Ended up sweeping the Triple Tiara including going 1 1/2 miles.

OTOH given who won the Derby that year Lukas' decision looka wise.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: