Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-05-2023, 10:35 PM   #1
Ahorsewithnoname

AU track pools

Do the US bettors that wager on AU tracks have a seperate pool? I noticed the odds matchup on TVG with the live video feed. For example I find it hard to believe that there is only $5,000 bet in the win pool on a race im looking at. I dont know what countries can bet on AU tracks. It seems to me they broadcast a different wagering platform and video to atleast the US viewers. Does anybody know if im right or wrong about this?
Ahorsewithnoname is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2023, 11:30 PM   #2
Ahorsewithnoname

I find it hard to believe that the $ in the pool totals is not higher than it is. You have AU, US, and whatever other countries they open betting to. $5,000 in the win pool spread across handicappers in different countries does not seem like much money.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:43 PM   #3
Ahorsewithnoname

I searched on google and couldnt find an answer regarding my question.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:28 PM   #4
Onesome

I believe HPI/Woodbine are the hosts for the Australian pools and they are not linked to the Australian Tab.

There is one exception is when the Hong Kong Jockey Club features the races and run the world pools which basically everyone bets into, but that's mostly on UK/France stuff, a few Aussie racemeets.
Onesome is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2023, 11:29 PM   #5
plainolebill

When I visited Australia they had bookies and I'm pretty sure that money wasn't in the same pool as the tote.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2023, 03:00 AM   #6
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainolebill View Post
When I visited Australia they had bookies and I'm pretty sure that money wasn't in the same pool as the tote.
Australia is sort of like the UK, in that the on track bookies, off-track bookies, and on/off track tote odds can all be different. It allows for a bit of shopping around, since there is fixed-price wagering for some of it too. If you live there of course. Some of the video coverage will mention the on-site prices, which are not to be confused with the North American tote numbers.

Unfortunately, here in North America we don't get the co-mingled pools for Australia or New Zealand and many other foreign pools. Hong Kong is an exception, New Zealand used to be co-mingled but not any more. I think some of the French tracks are co-mingled, and I think I've seen large co-mingled pools for the UAE or other Middle Eastern tracks on their big days.

About a year or two ago, the NA pools through Woodbine added AU tracks (mostly New South Wales I believe) along with the AUS tracks, which means more tiny pools for six to eight tracks versus four, and lots and lots and lots of breakage. Pretty hard to bet any of that seriously. Which is a shame, since I do like the racing down under.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2023, 02:06 PM   #7
rubicon55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
Australia is sort of like the UK, in that the on track bookies, off-track bookies, and on/off track tote odds can all be different. It allows for a bit of shopping around, since there is fixed-price wagering for some of it too. If you live there of course. Some of the video coverage will mention the on-site prices, which are not to be confused with the North American tote numbers.

Unfortunately, here in North America we don't get the co-mingled pools for Australia or New Zealand and many other foreign pools. Hong Kong is an exception, New Zealand used to be co-mingled but not any more. I think some of the French tracks are co-mingled, and I think I've seen large co-mingled pools for the UAE or other Middle Eastern tracks on their big days.

About a year or two ago, the NA pools through Woodbine added AU tracks (mostly New South Wales I believe) along with the AUS tracks, which means more tiny pools for six to eight tracks versus four, and lots and lots and lots of breakage. Pretty hard to bet any of that seriously. Which is a shame, since I do like the racing down under.
Hi, do you know of a list or site that breaks down the city tracks from the rural tracks? When I play those AUS tracks I usually use the purse size but would like to know if there is a better reference that shows purse values between the classier tracks where the quality of racing may be better. There are so many Class A and B tracks and there meets vary. Similar to what NA horseplayers association does for NA tracks. Can't argue about the field sizes there.

Last edited by rubicon55; 12-08-2023 at 02:07 PM.
rubicon55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2023, 01:41 AM   #8
Onesome

Use the calendar at racing.com to breakdown the metro/provincial/country and rarely used picnic class of race meetings

https://www.racing.com/calendar?year=2023&month=11
Onesome is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2023, 01:05 AM   #9
rubicon55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesome View Post
Use the calendar at racing.com to breakdown the metro/provincial/country and rarely used picnic class of race meetings

https://www.racing.com/calendar?year=2023&month=11
Thanks, that is great.
rubicon55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply