Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 11-20-2023, 10:48 PM   #1
AutumnLotus

Past Performances that do NOT show the MLO's...?

Hey all,

I am trying to sharpen my handicapping skills and I am sure a good portion of you folks will understand me when I say that while handicapping a race I cannot help but to be distracted and swayed by the morning line odds. They cause me to doubt my choice and or choices of horses that I have opinions on.

I have been trying to handicap without. first seeing the morning line odds. But as you can imagine, this is very difficult for one. I pull the past performances up. my eyes cannot help but to automatically see them. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or any. way at all that I can pull up. past performances. without the morning line odds?

And believe me, it is not like I check my choices and or finalize my opinion on my selections based on the morning line odds, however I cannot deny that my OCD steps in far too often and creates enough doubt in my selections. Once I see the morning line odds this of course throws a wrench in my entire selection process. I'm sure you know how the story goes; You keep your eyes off the morning line odds and you quickly eliminate the horses you confidently know will not win. Then you go through your process and come out with one or two confidently chosen, solid selections. You feel very good about it until, with no conscious effort of your own, your eyes dart to the left and what has been seen cannot be unseen, and suddenly you realize that your top two selections that you felt supremely confident about are 10/1 and 15/1, and even though I chose those horses by my handicapping, and regardless of whether or not I knew the MLO I would have landed on those same horses if following my handicapping process. HOWEVER, because they are revealed to be 10 an 15 to 1, I cant help but doubt them.

Hesitation and doubt should have no place among a confident horse player, or rather, I should say should have no place among a horse player building his or her confidence. There are many factors that can cause doubt and hesitation in one's selections; Too much information is no good and could end up being very detrimental. I also think that too much thought can cause a confident opinion to turn into a doubtful opinion. If you think too much about something, doubt is usually the outcome. It's best to go through your process as usual, make your selections and don't linger on them.
AutumnLotus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2023, 11:37 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

You can turn them off in DRF Formulator. Click customize, then uncheck "Morning Line Odds" and you're all set.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2023, 09:30 AM   #3
AutumnLotus

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
You can turn them off in DRF Formulator. Click customize, then uncheck "Morning Line Odds" and you're all set.
Well no shite! How 'bout that!

Good day to you Sir!
AutumnLotus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2023, 08:15 PM   #4
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnLotus View Post
Hey all,

I am trying to sharpen my handicapping skills and I am sure a good portion of you folks will understand me when I say that while handicapping a race I cannot help but to be distracted and swayed by the morning line odds. They cause me to doubt my choice and or choices of horses that I have opinions on.

I have been trying to handicap without. first seeing the morning line odds. But as you can imagine, this is very difficult for one. I pull the past performances up. my eyes cannot help but to automatically see them. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or any. way at all that I can pull up. past performances. without the morning line odds?.
It sounds like you use the tote board for referring to the M/L versus your personal handicapping abilities. I would suggest that you forget about the M/L odds altogether and refer to Live Opening Line odds of each entry at about 12 to 15 minutes to post. (Use the lesser time to post for tracks with smaller betting pools).
Early money can be just as significant as late money, especially if the trend continues during the entire betting cycle. That applies for both viewing higher or lower than anticipated odds.
Good Luck!
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2023, 03:24 AM   #5
plainolebill

I barely glance at them then move on to the higher priced horses.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2023, 08:30 PM   #6
coachv30

If you get PP's on the first day they are available, you may not see M/L odds. Sometimes there is no rider listed either though if that is a major part of your capping.
Old 11-24-2023, 10:10 AM   #7
djm1959

i never bet favorites to win an individual race i dont bet enough to chalk.
multi race bets i will bet them then a bit,

id rather win 3 out of 10 non favs then 6 or 7 favorites and make less
djm1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2023, 04:09 PM   #8
Richie

in bris, the first few days they have no odds
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply