Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-07-2020, 11:57 PM   #1
mountainman

Building a House

In process of buying land on which to erect a house. Am, of course, expecting unforeseen issues, expenses, and red tape.

Have other board members, perhaps, been through this??
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2020, 12:03 AM   #2
fast4522

Hiring the right construction manager instead of trying to do it yourself could make a huge difference.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2020, 12:09 AM   #3
davew

I suggest you contact county planning/permitting department to see if it is possible before closing on land, unless you are willing to occasionally camp on it.

acres required, ability to drill well, types of septic allowed, roof size and impervious driveway, ...

some areas have consultants just to go through all the processes before you even can break ground

if you have a builder you are interested in, they may be able to help
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2020, 12:26 AM   #4
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Hiring the right construction manager instead of trying to do it yourself could make a huge difference.
yes,,,was thinking that..
Old 08-08-2020, 12:31 AM   #5
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
I suggest you contact county planning/permitting department to see if it is possible before closing on land, unless you are willing to occasionally camp on it.

acres required, ability to drill well, types of septic allowed, roof size and impervious driveway, ...

some areas have consultants just to go through all the processes before you even can break ground

if you have a builder you are interested in, they may be able to help
The lot I have in mind is already set up with water, sewage, electricity, etc.

Concerning permits, I am planning to hire a local attorney well-versed in these matters.....
Old 08-08-2020, 01:02 AM   #6
chrisl

Many years ago in Washington state. I built a home, and when I was in the clearing process, I had to get approved every tree I fell to build the house. What a nightmare. If there is a certain species and age of a tree, they can deem it does not come down. Move your house.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2020, 01:31 AM   #7
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
In process of buying land on which to erect a house. Am, of course, expecting unforeseen issues, expenses, and red tape.

I did it myself. I got permits for electrical and structure from city engineers. Things went well until, with the project almost finished, I discovered that I needed a permit for plumbing from the health department. They did not issue permits for DIY plumbing and insisted I had hire a pro. I went all the way through "plumbers" in the yellow pages. Not one wanted to get involved in "new installation." I had to hire a company from out of town. Plumbing turned out to be the biggest cost of the project.

Of course zoning, permits, etc. vary widely from state to state, county to county, city to city. Your milage will probably differ.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:37 AM   #8
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Bingo.

Talk to a few of them before you buy the lot, they will be able to answer a lot of questions. This will probably be very cheap or free.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2020, 04:08 AM   #9
lamboguy

i would check out the legalities of the property before i do any with the land. make sure that there are no easements and liens on the property, also check to see if you need to go in front of a conservation committee. you also need to know how much frontage you need to build your home. if there is no city sewage, you have to know where you can build the septic system and the drain going to the system.depending on the regulations, your home might need a basement, it it doesn't you can build on a slab.

those are the major things to do. from there you will probably need an architect to make the plans for your home.the architect usually will go in front of the zoning board with the plans on the home to get the approvals needed,. after that you can go to the building department for a permit to build.

from there depending on the amount of time you have, you might want to hire a contractor to build the home. they generally will cost you 26% more than if you built it yourself with your own subcontractors.

there are some contractors that will handle the whole process right from the start. it all comes down to your budget. when you have to buy materials, you should get a discount. the builder might charge you the full retail and pocket the discount. Home Depot, Lowes and all lumber yards have a contractors discount and a retail price. depending on how nice a place you want to build, it costs between $200-$500 or more per foot to build the home.

good luck and happiness with your new home.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2020, 08:22 AM   #10
Frost king

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post

If you have never fought with your wife, you will now. Good Luck.
Frost king is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2020, 09:02 AM   #11
Ocala Mike

Just getting a manufactured home on property I already owned in Florida was daunting. Permits up the wazoo, scheduling issues, and finally finding out the land was not porous enough to support a septic system.

Had to bring in many loads of sand to build a septic mound at no small expense. Looks nice today, though, like a natural berm.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2020, 09:38 AM   #12
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost king View Post
If you have never fought with your wife, you will now. Good Luck.
I can echo this.

Also the 2 other rules of construction are that it will take longer and cost more.
Just be prepared.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2020, 10:35 AM   #13
stuball

Thumbs up building

I have built 2 house myself over the years. first one in 1979 rules were very easy second house in 2003 built both houses within 3 months.. second time was much harder.. had a list from building inspector of 9 things to fix before he allowed me to move in.. the worst was that 1 of the 2 bathrooms had to have doorways wide enough for wheelchair access and 2 of 3 bedrooms same thing.
they had approved the house plans before building and did not tell me that till I was ready to move in had to redo the doors to the fed requirements.. carpets were already in.. he said I could appeal but it would take some time to complete the process.. I was able to strip a 2 by 4 from the non support side of the door frames to comply but it was a pain.. so make your doors all big enough for disability requirements.. I told all the people I hired that if they saw anything wrong to talk to me about it right away that they were the experts.. that helped alot with a couple of small changes.. both of which were improvements after they were done. very stressful but I was much younger then. We love where we have lived for all these years.. I just lost my wife 3 weeks ago to Stage 4 Lung Cancer... I did home hospice till she passed and she loved her home and wanted to stay here. I loved her with all my heart and though it was hard I would do it no other way. I have say you and your partner have to be flexible and not stubborn (same thing)

Stuball
stuball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2020, 10:41 AM   #14
lamboguy

i used to put wind corners along the frame of the houses that i built to re-inforce the frame. i got that from a building inspector that demanded it. he told me that he had seen homes tear apart in big winds. it is not expensive to do and it doesn't take that much time to put them in.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #15
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball View Post
I have built 2 house myself over the years. first one in 1979 rules were very easy second house in 2003 built both houses within 3 months.. second time was much harder.. had a list from building inspector of 9 things to fix before he allowed me to move in.. the worst was that 1 of the 2 bathrooms had to have doorways wide enough for wheelchair access and 2 of 3 bedrooms same thing.
they had approved the house plans before building and did not tell me that till I was ready to move in had to redo the doors to the fed requirements.. carpets were already in.. he said I could appeal but it would take some time to complete the process.. I was able to strip a 2 by 4 from the non support side of the door frames to comply but it was a pain.. so make your doors all big enough for disability requirements.. I told all the people I hired that if they saw anything wrong to talk to me about it right away that they were the experts.. that helped alot with a couple of small changes.. both of which were improvements after they were done. very stressful but I was much younger then. We love where we have lived for all these years.. I just lost my wife 3 weeks ago to Stage 4 Lung Cancer... I did home hospice till she passed and she loved her home and wanted to stay here. I loved her with all my heart and though it was hard I would do it no other way. I have say you and your partner have to be flexible and not stubborn (same thing)

Stuball
i am real sorry to hear about your loss.

all around great advice from you. that must have been a real pain in the neck to widen the doorways, but you got your occupancy permit, so all is well.