Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 03-13-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
wallyheitz

I have a copy of Synergetic Match Up 2, but

It's on disk. I saved a copy of some Sartin programs on disk. My new computer has no disk drive.(CD). I also saved them into my old yahoo e-mail account. However, I was without a computer for quite a while, and I forgot my e-mail username and password. So, I have them on disk, and I've been thinking about going to a computer guru and having him/her/it transfer these programs to my computer. I think it's very possible, but am concerned about price. How much $? approx.?
I should have written down my e mail stuff, but I didn't.
wallyheitz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 12:19 PM   #2
wallyheitz

I have a copy of Synergetic Match Up 2, but

BTW, does SMU ll even work on Windows 10? Using dosbox or some such?
wallyheitz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
Stevecsd2

You should be able to buy an external CD/DVD reader that plugs in to a USB port on your computer for about $30-$40. That should solve your problem. If the program will only run in DOS & not Windows, yes, DOSBOX should run it. I run several programs that only run in DOS inside DOSBOX. You do need to read the documentation to understand how it works.
Stevecsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
MooseDog

If you trust sending that CD in the mail, I can pull the files if possible off the CD and put them on a USB flash drive for you or put them in the Cloud so you can download, whatever you prefer. I don't know if that program required an access code or install key, if it did it may still not work.

Stuck at home like everyone else so happy to have things to do.

DOSBOX should work to run in on Win10.
MooseDog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2020, 10:26 PM   #5
davew

do you need internet access for Synergy or is all data manually inputted?

I had a similar problem with an old poker simulation program, and just bought an old laptop on eBay that it would work on.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #6
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyheitz View Post
It's on disk. I saved a copy of some Sartin programs on disk. My new computer has no disk drive.(CD). I also saved them into my old yahoo e-mail account. However, I was without a computer for quite a while, and I forgot my e-mail username and password. So, I have them on disk, and I've been thinking about going to a computer guru and having him/her/it transfer these programs to my computer. I think it's very possible, but am concerned about price. How much $? approx.?
You can resolve your problem for as little as about $20. Just get an external USB disc drive. Look here -- https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-.../pc/1292112011

Last edited by Longshot6977; 03-25-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2020, 10:29 PM   #7
delayjf

Quote:
I don't know if that program required an access code or install key, if it did it may still not work.
I had that program a way back, as I recall you could only install the program into a computer 4 or 5 times or just run it from disk. It was all manual entry, but they had a downloading program call Xtor that allowed downloading and imputing PP data electronically.

There are other options, ie HTR or RDSS

Last edited by delayjf; 04-20-2020 at 10:41 PM.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2020, 11:14 PM   #8
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyheitz View Post
I have no idea what this program is.

If you want to send it to me on "disk" - whether that means 3.5" or CD - I will be pleased to convert them to a file that you should be able to use.

A while back I did something similar for long-time PA guy, "Lefty," who had several programs that he needed converted. He sent them to me and I loaded them, then sent him a link where he could download them back to his computer.

Might have even put them on a USB drive and sent them that way as well. Don't recall.

Just email me if you'd like or just give me a call.

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #9
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
I will be pleased to convert them to a file that you should be able to use.
Dave, as delayjf says, a number of the old Sartin programs were protected with software that prevented multiple copies being made. I remember buying software that could bypass this but it's long gone, both the physical media and in my memory.
Ted Craven may have better info on this than I do.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2020, 05:27 PM   #10
46zilzal
velocitician

That program, being somewhat effective, was not even close to the Sartin best.

I am afraid you will be somewhat disappointed
Old 04-23-2020, 06:18 PM   #11
lefty359

I bght external 3.5 drive, but it didn't work. Not getting enough power from USB drive I think. But Dave S. fixed me up. Good guy...
lefty359 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2020, 08:34 PM   #12
delayjf

Quote:
I have no idea what this program is.
Dave,

Synergetic Matchup II was a intermediate program between Energy and Thromation. It had a lot of the features that Thromation had but did not include the thoromation movement screen with the horses moving across the screen. It was the first Sartin program I bought directly from Howard. He would not sell thromation to me at that time, as I was new to the club. He also threw in a free copy of Entrophy. I had good luck with it on the CA circuit. But it did have its limitations, for example, it was all manual entry. In my experience it was stronger on the turf than on the dirt. It was not good at adjusting a sprint pace line to a route pace line - using a sprint pace line in a route race - in these cases, the horse always looked like Secretariat.

Last edited by delayjf; 04-23-2020 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:41 PM   #13
delayjf

Quote:
was not even close to the Sartin best.
Which program do you feel was his best?
Old 04-24-2020, 07:05 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty359 View Post
I bght external 3.5 drive, but it didn't work. Not getting enough power from USB drive I think. But Dave S. fixed me up. Good guy...
Hey lefty, did you plug it directly into the computer or in to the keyboard, or a USB hub?

Mine only work with direct into the computer.
My keyboard slot is not powerful enough.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #15
Dave Schwartz

Thanks to the people who added more info.

I admit not knowing about all those old Sartin programs.

I came in at Phase 3, wrote my own version, and only tried two others: Energy and the 2nd synergism.

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: