Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-15-2018, 10:44 AM   #16
The Judge

They said they were waiting for a friend. The friend "did" show up while they were being taken out and arrested. The patrons who were White jumped in and asked "why they were being arrested, because they weren't doing anything."

As far as I know its not against the law to "ask" to use the restroom at any store. You can ask can't you? Why are you forced to order if your party is incomplete?

Is there a waiting fee? A time limit ?

Should you eat and drink as soon as you get there and tell your friend or family member you are finished when they show up. They must dine alone because you already ate to avoid arrest. What if it was your friend that invited you there and it was their threat can you wait then?

How many times have we all waited for someone at a eating place? I know I have, some places even have waiting areas or a bar set-up just for those purposes. When our friend arrives, we have even changed our mind and eat somewhere else.

Oh by the why a 14 year old child was shot at by an adult because he was lost and walking to school he stopped at a house to asked for directions.

He was lucky he didn't stop at a Starbucks and ask for directions, who knows where that would lead.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #17
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
As far as I know its not against the law to "ask" to use the restroom at any store. You can ask can't you? Why are you forced to order if your party is incomplete?
From what I read from the African-American police chief, these guys asked to use the bathroom without ordering anything and were told they couldn't. Which is policy. Else every homeless person in the world would be using their bathrooms. And that would be bad for business.

It's also perfectly reasonable to ask people to leave who haven't ordered anything and are just taking up space for other customers.

But because these particular people happened to be black, it turns into a racial thing.

The world demands we stop seeing race, but throw race in people's faces every chance they get...no wonder the world is still racist.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #18
The Judge

What has the fact that you must make a purchase have to do with "asking" to use the restroom? After they were told to "no" that was that they didn't "act -up".

Can you wait for a friend or not? Some can and some can't . It's a business you are inviting people in they aren't trespassers ( I know that comes later after YOU in front of everyone is asked to leave). The people that were there felt something was wrong and they were White.

If its not about race then what? It was just two American realtors being arrested at Starbucks for trespass, just an everyday event. Which is news-worthy in it's own right. Why the cops? From all accounts these guys were very polite even when arrested they said nothing.

Can you wait for your girlfriend,or mother, to have a 4-7$ coffee or not ? How many times have you been asked to leave anywhere because you were waiting for someone? What about being followed around a Department store full of hundreds of shoppers yet security picked you out? How does that happen? What was security doing? Oh yeah following a suspicious looking American who was doing exactly the same-thing as everyone else " shopping".

Not about race well then what? Race isn't being thrown in your face at every turn you just "feel" that it is because in the not so distant past, it wasn't that much attention paid to the issue at all.

To being race into the American discussion there had to be sit-ins, marches etc. This was only a few short years ago now its already to much "already."
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #19
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
From what I read from the African-American police chief, these guys asked to use the bathroom without ordering anything and were told they couldn't. Which is policy. Else every homeless person in the world would be using their bathrooms. And that would be bad for business.

It's also perfectly reasonable to ask people to leave who haven't ordered anything and are just taking up space for other customers.

But because these particular people happened to be black, it turns into a racial thing.

The world demands we stop seeing race, but throw race in people's faces every chance they get...no wonder the world is still racist.
It all may seem "perfectly reasonable" to YOU...but Starbucks CEO has called the incident "totally unrepresentative of what Starbucks stands for"...and he is calling for a nationwide re-training of his employees, to make sure that this never happens again. It appears that the CEO saw this as "totally unreasonable".

Last edited by thaskalos; 04-15-2018 at 01:07 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2018, 05:45 PM   #20
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
It all may seem "perfectly reasonable" to YOU...but Starbucks CEO has called the incident "totally unrepresentative of what Starbucks stands for"...and he is calling for a nationwide re-training of his employees, to make sure that this never happens again. It appears that the CEO saw this as "totally unreasonable".
For about the 4-5th time.

I think they probably encourage staff to keep the dining room turning over, then get into this kind of trouble every once in a while
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #21
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Of course they did. They are succumbing to the bullshit race narrative...had nothing to do with race.

If the guys arrested were white, it wouldn't be a story. Now would it?

The black Philly police chief cites that even COPS are told they can't use the restroom at starbucks without buying something.

These guys probably took it as RACIST that they were told they couldn't use the restroom without purchasing something, so they decided to be idiots about it. I know, I know...everyone says they were just sitting there minding their own business waiting on a "friend." I'm sure they were.

Or maybe we should have one set of special rules for black people because they MIGHT feel they are being unfairly treated because of their race (despite them being treated the same as cops).

Why would Starbuck have to RETRAIN their entire staff? Because this was POLICY ACROSS THE BOARD...black...white...cops...everyone. But these guys took offense and decided to stage a sit in.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-15-2018 at 06:08 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #22
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
What has the fact that you must make a purchase have to do with "asking" to use the restroom? After they were told to "no" that was that they didn't "act -up".

Can you wait for a friend or not? Some can and some can't . It's a business you are inviting people in they aren't trespassers ( I know that comes later after YOU in front of everyone is asked to leave). The people that were there felt something was wrong and they were White.

If its not about race then what? It was just two American realtors being arrested at Starbucks for trespass, just an everyday event. Which is news-worthy in it's own right. Why the cops? From all accounts these guys were very polite even when arrested they said nothing.

Can you wait for your girlfriend,or mother, to have a 4-7$ coffee or not ? How many times have you been asked to leave anywhere because you were waiting for someone? What about being followed around a Department store full of hundreds of shoppers yet security picked you out? How does that happen? What was security doing? Oh yeah following a suspicious looking American who was doing exactly the same-thing as everyone else " shopping".

Not about race well then what? Race isn't being thrown in your face at every turn you just "feel" that it is because in the not so distant past, it wasn't that much attention paid to the issue at all.

To being race into the American discussion there had to be sit-ins, marches etc. This was only a few short years ago now its already to much "already."
All this is feelgood bullshit that has NOTHING to do with what happened at this store.

You take the first story at first glance, and even I thought it was horrible.

But then the police chief tells the other side of the story (black police chief, by the way), and then it all starts to make sense.

This incident had nothing to do with race, other than these black men decided to make it so.

Forget the other liberal white assholes in the store...they were gonna jump on the race angle when they smelled the first whiff of it being conjured up..

DO YOU REALLY THINK A STARBUCKS IN PHILADELPHIA IS GOING TO BE THAT BLATANTLY RACIST? You think this was the first time a couple of black people have sauntered into that store?

Come on man...use your head...this wasn't Alabama...

This was, without a doubt, a completely MANUFACTURED story.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-15-2018 at 06:09 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #23
Clocker

Quote:
It appears that the CEO saw this as "totally unreasonable".
I'm guessing that what he saw as "totally unreasonable" was the bad PR for the company, and that is what he will be concerned with in the future.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #24
horses4courses

Quote:
this wasn't Alabama...
You're not saying Alabama is racist, are you?
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2018, 06:09 PM   #25
thaskalos

Quote:
Of course they did. They are succumbing to the bullshit race narrative...had nothing to do with race.

If the guys arrested were white, it wouldn't be a story. Now would it?

The black Philly police chief cites that even COPS are told they can't use the restroom at starbucks without buying something.

These guys probably took it as RACIST that they were told they couldn't use the restroom without purchasing something, so they decided to be idiots about it. I know, I know...everyone says they were just sitting there minding their own business waiting on a "friend." I'm sure they were.

Or maybe we should have one set of special rules for black people because they MIGHT feel they are being unfairly treated because of their race (even though they were being treated the same as cops). Even though everyone, apparently, is told the same thing, or else Starbucks wouldn't announce they are going to have to RETRAIN.
You must have information about this incident that I'm not aware of; I didn't see any reason for these two guys to be led out of the store in handcuff. Would such a thing have occurred if the guys were WHITE? I, personally, don't think so.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:11 PM   #26
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
You must have information about this incident that I'm not aware of; I didn't see any reason for these two guys to be led out of the store in handcuff. Would such a thing have occurred if the guys were WHITE? I, personally, don't think so.
The police chief explained exactly why they were led out of the store in handcuffs.

And I guarantee you the exact same thing would have happened to them if they were white, all else being equal.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:25 PM   #27
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
For about the 4-5th time.

I think they probably encourage staff to keep the dining room turning over, then get into this kind of trouble every once in a while
Yes...restaurants and coffee houses like a high turnover in their dining-room...but, does this mean that a potential customer should be charged with TRESPASSING when he elects to sit at a table and wait for a late-arriving friend? What next...the customers should be charged for trespassing if they don't pay their check and leave fast enough...so they could keep the dining room as quick-moving as the owners want it?

The management can refuse bathroom facilities to a non-customer, and they could also require that a customer order something while seated at the table...but calling the police should be reserved for cases of disturbance which interfere with conducting business. And the cops, when called to the scene, should exercise some judgement before pulling out their handcuffs, IMO. Removing those two customers in handcuffs leaves the sort of taste in a customer's mouth that not even Starbucks' overpriced coffee can wash down.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #28
thaskalos

Quote:
The police chief explained exactly why they were led out of the store in handcuffs.

And I guarantee you the exact same thing would have happened to them if they were white, all else being equal.
Where is the police chief's explanation? I missed it.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #29
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
I'm guessing that what he saw as "totally unreasonable" was the bad PR for the company, and that is what he will be concerned with in the future.
The management of the place was obviously not trained enough to handle such a situation in a "professional" manner. Leading a peaceful customer out of the place in handcuffs is a "no-no", in all areas of "customer service"...unless the customer was stealing.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:45 PM   #30
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Where is the police chief's explanation? I missed it.
Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross defended the actions of officers in the video saying his officers "did absolutely nothing wrong."

In a statement on Facebook Live, Ross said that Starbucks employees called 911 to report a trespassing complaint.

The employees told officers the two men wanted to use the restroom but were told the facilities are only for paying customers. The Starbucks employees then asked the men to leave, but they refused, Ross said.

Officers responded and asked the men three times "politely to leave the location because they were being asked to leave by employees because they were trespassing." When the men again refused to leave, they were arrested "without incident," Ross said.

The men were taken to a police station and released when it became clear Starbucks didn't want to press charges.

"They did a service that they were called to do," Ross said of the officers. "And if you think about it logically, that if a business calls and they say that someone is here that I no longer wish to be in my business, (officers) now have a legal obligation to carry out their duties. And they did just that."

Ross, who is black, referenced his own experiences while making his case, saying, "As an African-American male, I am very aware of implicit bias."

"We are committed to fair and unbiased policing and anything less than that will not be tolerated in this department."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/14/us/ph...sts/index.html