Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-13-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
menifee

Mike Smith - Unique Bella

How does he keep this mount? He's given this horse two terrible rides. What was that? I get the bad break, but why rush her up like that. He did the same thing to Abel Tasman. They are not machines.
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #2
Immortal6

Watched the replay and I feel like Smith did what was necessary to try and win. Had he taken Unique Bella back and let Farrell walk up front the fractions set might have been completely different and Farrell might have been the winner, never know. For me it's hard to know who is at fault at the break? Did the jock not anticipate the gate opening or is the onus on the horse to break cleanly?

Either way, one thing I've never noticed is Unique Bella's size...maybe it's just my eyes but she looks considerably larger than Farrell and the others in the field.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I was watching TVG2 all afternoon, waiting for this race.
Then the @#%$#^&#morons who run TVG move it to TVG and I miss it.

Do these useless idiots purposely try to piss off their viewers?

At least I didn't have to listen to Todd Schrupp at all today!
Old 04-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #4
GMB@BP

Vic said she stood there but she went to her knees watching the replay, I have no idea how the rider stops that but if you watched the video from yesterday she refused to load for 5 minutes, clearly not a happy horse going into the event.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Vic said she stood there but she went to her knees watching the replay, I have no idea how the rider stops that but if you watched the video from yesterday she refused to load for 5 minutes, clearly not a happy horse going into the event.
She actually looked to kind of brace against coming out of the gate. I don't think there was much Smith could do after that. She is pretty headstrong and fighting her wasn't going to make things better.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #6
RunForTheRoses

I didn't play at all today, so, was the rail really bad? Very wide trip on UB not that the 2 was not really rolling at the end.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 09:39 PM   #7
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Bingo. Something's up with her.

And to the person who noted her size, it was really noticeable today, not just that she's bigger, but that she almost looks like a draft breed instead of a Thoroughbred. Not very attractive.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 09:44 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Lady's Secret syndrom?
Old 04-13-2018, 11:31 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
She actually looked to kind of brace against coming out of the gate. I don't think there was much Smith could do after that. She is pretty headstrong and fighting her wasn't going to make things better.
My wife got a pretty good shot of the break:

cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 11:34 PM   #10
GMB@BP

Great work team CJ!!!!

Like I said on Twitter, running second after all that may have been better than it looked. Not sure I would be shipping much with her. She may be a tough mare to please.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 11:52 PM   #11
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

Unique Bella's head was sideways before the start. The starter didn't wait for the horse to settle down. When the gates opened, Unique Bella was shifting around and almost went to her knees. It didn't look like Smith's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
At least I didn't have to listen to Todd Schrupp at all today!
I stopped watching TVG when I saw Schrupp and Nakatani's golf match for the 10,000th time.

The commercial of the dog and woman making annoying high-pitched noises to each other was another gem.

Honorable mention goes to the Thorograph commercial and the actress with the sing-song voice "And we know this becaaaaauuuuussssse?" It looked like the guy wanted to reach over and swat her.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2018, 02:54 AM   #12
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensacola Pete View Post
Unique Bella's head was sideways before the start. The starter didn't wait for the horse to settle down. When the gates opened, Unique Bella was shifting around and almost went to her knees. It didn't look like Smith's fault.
You got it wrong mate. Unique Bella's head was straight and she was settled. Only thing that happened here was that she absolutely blew the break. No ones fault just something that happens on occasion.

SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2018, 03:36 AM   #13
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCat View Post
You got it wrong mate. Unique Bella's head was straight and she was settled. Only thing that happened here was that she absolutely blew the break. No ones fault just something that happens on occasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpgkygmqes4
As the video shows, her head was pointed to the left before the gate opened. She was antsy for a quite a few seconds up to that point. The starter could have waited at least a few more seconds to see if she settled down. When the gate opened, the sound probably spooked her. Her head jerked all the way to the right, and she fell against the grandstand side of her stall.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #14
owlshead

Quote:
Great work team CJ!!!!

Like I said on Twitter, running second after all that may have been better than it looked. Not sure I would be shipping much with her. She may be a tough mare to please.

no expert, but she just appears to be a Cali girl?
owlshead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #15
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCat View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpgkygmqes4

When the tape first starts and a few seconds before the break, watch her suck back for a moment putting all her weight on her back end. Her ears quite pinned as she is obviously upset with something. After a quick second, she redistributes her weight so as to be standing somewhat OK. Then at 02 seconds her right ear unpins and she is starting to be somewhat OK with things. Her left ear starts to unpin slightly it seems but then it pins again. She is really worried about something on her left side, probably the gate guy or maybe the way he is holding her. She then starts to suck back and shift all her weight back again and just as she does, the gates open, catching her standing with too much weight moving backwards and in a refusing type position.
That is what caused her to break so badly. Like what you see a cat do when the first get scared. She was not a happy horse in there. That's for sure. I would look for a much better break next time as they will probably stand her in the mornings quite a bit before her next race. Only way that does not happen is if she is always bad in the gate but you guys would know that not me. Pretty sure the rider was helpless this time.
Hope that helps.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply