Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #106
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Stopping betting at 1 min to post would show the security issue. If everything was straight, stopping the betting at 1 min to post still would not help the better as he watches the odds change and can do nothing about his bet. That is why nowdays I just play the small tracks where the pools are too little to interest these guys, they just can't bet enough without betting against themselves. Also seems like the pickins a little easier there.

As far as the whales and syndicates betting late, they are right just a little too often for me.
I take it you don't play Sunland very much then...a bunch of small tracks get pounded by the teams...why wouldn't they? They just bet less, but still has the same percentage impact as the larger pools.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #107
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I take it you don't play Sunland very much then...a bunch of small tracks get pounded by the teams...why wouldn't they? They just bet less, but still has the same percentage impact as the larger pools.
I understand your point about small tracks, but why do you indicate the late play is "teams?" I have no idea who it is, just curious if you could elaborate on that?
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #108
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
I understand your point about small tracks, but why do you indicate the late play is "teams?" I have no idea who it is, just curious if you could elaborate on that?
Because the ones betting the most money, from all accounts, are composed of a group of people...the brains and the money and the gophers...each comprising what some call a team.

But in reality, what they are, are businesses...
Old 04-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #109
Track Phantom

Quote:
Because the ones betting the most money, from all accounts, are composed of a group of people...the brains and the money and the gophers...each comprising what some call a team.

How does one prove these bets are by "teams"? Wagering printouts? Just wondering if anyone really knows "who" these people are.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #110
green80

Quote:
I do play Sunland, and for some reason still show a profit there.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 10:15 PM   #111
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
I do play Sunland, and for some reason still show a profit there.
Who says you can't show a profit anywhere? I never claimed the massive amount of late money makes winning impossible.

It's just frustrating as hell sometimes.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #112
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post
How does one prove these bets are by "teams"? Wagering printouts? Just wondering if anyone really knows "who" these people are.
Because that's the general consensus. I have to trust people like Dave Schwartz and Ian Myers and other people who might know better than I do what is happening.

And if you read up on the Hong Kong teams, which predate what is going on in the US currently by a decade or two, it all makes sense. Like I said, read up on Bill Benter if you haven't already...
Old 04-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #113
lamboguy

all you have to do is check out the 10th race at Oaklawn today to assure you that there is at least a cancel button after the race starts. and that place is supposed to be secure as hell.

i wonder if the owner there has the balls to open up his mouth and put an end to past posting at his track. he went to the Arkansas state house for 20 years to get the minimum payoff dropped down from 2.20 to 2.10 in the name of that being good for the horseplayer.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 11:24 PM   #114
Denny
Veteran

Cella died, lamboguy.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2018, 12:49 AM   #115
steveb

Quote:

i bet they bet early too, not just late.
favours them in two ways.
makes the price of the favoured ones better, so they can then back it down late, which in turn will make the odds of those bet early more favourable too.

i suspect, without actually knowing, that most of the teams are collaborating these days, or else they would simply cannibalise each other.
steveb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2018, 09:17 PM   #116
AlsoEligible

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
all you have to do is check out the 10th race at Oaklawn today to assure you that there is at least a cancel button after the race starts. and that place is supposed to be secure as hell.

i wonder if the owner there has the balls to open up his mouth and put an end to past posting at his track. he went to the Arkansas state house for 20 years to get the minimum payoff dropped down from 2.20 to 2.10 in the name of that being good for the horseplayer.
Oaklawn does allow customers (at least on-track) to cancel wagers a few seconds after the race starts. As far as I know, they’re the only US track that still allows this. Not sure if there’s any limit on how much can be cancelled in those few seconds.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #117
Seabiscuit@AR

A woman working for the one of the totes in Australia got away with past posting for years. Her last bets appear to have been about 2010 which is recent enough. She was putting on trifecta bets after the races had been run

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-...08-139f72.html
Seabiscuit@AR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #118
Seabiscuit@AR

If that woman working for the tote in Australia had been stealing money from the till or the safe she would have detected much faster than she was. Instead she was able to past post for about 10 years and take out over a million dollars. The reason for this is that past posting costs the tote nothing in direct costs so they don't have a great incentive to design systems to detect it

The costs of past posting were paid by the other players who bet the winning trifecta combination that this woman hammered down after the race. The tote would have in fact gained from her past posting as she would have paid takeout on her "bets"
Seabiscuit@AR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #119
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit@AR View Post
If that woman working for the tote in Australia had been stealing money from the till or the safe she would have detected much faster than she was. Instead she was able to past post for about 10 years and take out over a million dollars. The reason for this is that past posting costs the tote nothing in direct costs so they don't have a great incentive to design systems to detect it

The costs of past posting were paid by the other players who bet the winning trifecta combination that this woman hammered down after the race. The tote would have in fact gained from her past posting as she would have paid takeout on her "bets"
This has been my issue all along. My thinking is if the betting was fixed odds covered by the track, there would be numerous safeguards in place to detect anything nefarious. Parimutuel betting not only lowers the interest they have in catching bad behavior, like mentioned above, it actually has a built in incentive (takeout = money in their pockets).

Now, I'm not saying that tracks would rather have the takeout and a corrupt system. They wouldn't. They'd rather have it be totally honest and fair. The problem is unless proven without a doubt, they will not investigate anything as it does nothing but shine a negative light on the product.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #120
jay68802

Quote:
Who says you can't show a profit anywhere? I never claimed the massive amount of late money makes winning impossible.

It's just frustrating as hell sometimes.
Have to agree and believe that those teams cost you around 1 to 3% in your ROI.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply