Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
elysiantraveller

TPP?... Anyone...?

Proving Clocker's point that Trump is most influenced by the last person he talked to...

Trump flirts with re-entering massive trade pact

A few of us picked up on this after his Davos talk. It was passed without us and allowed space for China to take the lead in trade protocols in the Pacific.

Suddenly we want back in.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
woodtoo

Dont get too far ahead of yourself.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
"You down with TPP?
Yeah you know me"

Apologies to Naughty by Nature.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)

Last edited by barahona44; 04-13-2018 at 09:49 AM.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
biggestal99

Trump then: TPP is raping the country, I want out

Trump now: TPP is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I want in.

what should have happen

Trump then: TPP might be a bad deal for Americans, I shall find out whether it is or not.

Trump now: after investigation, TPP on the whole benefits Americans.

thats in my new book "US presidenting for dummies"

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
forced89

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post

Trump then: TPP might be a bad deal for Americans, I shall find out whether it is or not.

Trump now: after investigation, TPP on the whole benefits Americans.

thats in my new book "US presidenting for dummies"
I'm not a Trump guy but kind of like it finds out his original take was wrong and changes his position. It would be worse if notwithstanding the facts he just stuck with his original position to avoid criticism.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Yeah, like Iranian nukes deal.....double down on stupid.
He earned that 0 in his name.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
tucker6

Not sure what the hysteria is on this issue. Trump said the deal Obama made was a bad one and he was getting out. However, he added the proviso that if a better deal could be made, he'd get back in. So where is he lying or going back on his word. He believes he's gotten an acceptable deal and is getting back in.
Some of you need a chill pill and not look for the boogie monster every time.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #8
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Not sure what the hysteria is on this issue. Trump said the deal Obama made was a bad one and he was getting out. However, he added the proviso that if a better deal could be made, he'd get back in. So where is he lying or going back on his word. He believes he's gotten an acceptable deal and is getting back in.
Some of you need a chill pill and not look for the boogie monster every time.
Tucker,
He met with r senators whose constituents farmers will be hurt by the exit of TPP. and said rejoining TPP might be the way to go. Of course there would have to be negotiations since the TPP has been redone since we left.

Its a debacle, plain and simple.

same as his tarriffs. Free markets Rs dont like them.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Tucker,
He met with r senators whose constituents farmers will be hurt by the exit of TPP. and said rejoining TPP might be the way to go. Of course there would have to be negotiations since the TPP has been redone since we left.

Its a debacle, plain and simple.

same as his tarriffs. Free markets Rs dont like them.

Allan
DING! DING!

TPP wasn't really a bad deal back then... It was just Obama's deal so it had to be terrible.

The whole "better deal" thing is nonsense. It was a pretty good deal for us. Since they've passed it the members response of renegotiating it has been "go kick rocks" to the Trump administration.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 04-13-2018 at 01:43 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #10
Clocker

From the National Review:

Quote:
President Trump has asked his advisers to take a second look at the Trans Pacific Partnership agreement (TPP) — a multilateral free-trade agreement with eleven other nations. A main goal of the TPP is to put immense pressure on China to change its trade behaviors.

Staying in TPP would have been the wise thing to do, if only because in our current dealing with China on issues such as intellectual property and state-owned companies, the president would have had the continuing backing of eleven other countries. But President Trump last year chose to pull the U.S. out of the agreement.

It will be hard though. It ought to be obvious to everyone that the president’s reconsideration comes from realizing that a U.S. trade war with China might not be that “easy to win” after all, and that many Americans would suffer from such a war. The political consequences from the president’s tariffs may be even more visible come November, but they aren’t hard to foresee today. That it is so obvious how much Trump may need this deal is not an ideal negotiating position to be in. In particular, since I could imagine that much of the good will that existed back in the first round of negotiations may be gone after the president’s remarkably harsh words against TPP on the campaign trail and before the U.S.’s withdrawal.
The author points out the the US would be in a position of less power than it would have been. Also, this would require approval by Congress, which could turn into a fight. The TPP has dropped the U.S.’s intellectual-property requirements, a big issue for the Republicans in Congress.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...-wont-be-easy/